Bluenose II by CKNavy - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:75 - First Wooden Ship Build

This is my first build log as well as my first wooden ship. I've had this ship for a couple of years now, received it as a birthday gift. Due to nerves I think this may be the reason it took me so long to get started. Finally I figured since this is my first wooden model I would just go for it and see what happens.

So far I have completed the laying of the planks on the port side of the hull and I'm now working on the starboard side. If anyone has any tip or suggestions I'm ready to hear.

post-17323-0-97437000-1453864215_thumb.jpg

Are your planks glued in? If so, it would be a good idea to remove the pins and sand the hull smooth. Do you plan on double planking the hull? Once you have sanded the hull, it would be a good idea to use wood filler on dents, leaving a smooth foundation for the second planking.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

• 1 year later...

Sorry I had to step away for awhile. I'm now back to the bench hoping to move forward with this build. Now that I have read through a lot of different build logs and such, putting all those pins in maybe was not such a good idea. I'm going to try removing them and sanding the hull smooth. I will post another pick as soon as I get some of it done. 

Nice start!!

Yup, agree with removing Nails, Filler, Sand....

(If the Nails were the same as my version, they are Brass? (They sand quite nicely if you can't get them out. Slide an old X-Acto 11 Blade under the Heads and twist the handle. :))

Your Kit, (From the Box Art), is the same "Vintage" as the one I built a few years ago.

It's got a few "Foibles" but nothing that cannot be overcome with a bit of planning/thought.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

I would say that yeah... there should be some space between the false deck and the top plank. The situation is likely salvageable. For one thing, according to John Earl in his practicum on this very model the AL bulwarks don't fit anyway (and thye don't, i'm doing the bulwarks now). You'll need to make your own. I forget where it is housed but a google search for bluenose II and John Earl will return the pdfs. Just start with the bit on the bulwarks and modify it a bit. You're going to have to wing it some, but I think you'll do fine. I wouldn't start ripping planks yet. 

-------//--------

Bulwark

(Tulsa, OK)

In Progress: 1:60 Red Dragon (Artesania Latina)

In Progress: 1:75 Bluenose II (Artesania Latina)

Completed: 1:40 Scale 1937 Sakkonet Daysailer

Changed my mind. Did some more research, I'm going to back track a bit and make another attempt at the bulwarks. This time I'm going to make them out of the remaining deck planks that I have. I will post some pictures once I get started.

CK

It never fails, you install an assembly, thinks it looks ok, but something keeps nagging at you about it.  Eventually you end up removing it and doing it over again.  This won't be the last time you change your mind.  Happens to me quite frequently.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...