Hello here a little help for all of us with empty pockets and need for good contemporary information:

https://ia802606.us.archive.org/22/items/shipbuildinginir00reed/shipbuildinginir00reed_bw.pdf

post-23296-0-77350900-1454061323_thumb.jpg

Give :pirate41:

Moony a.k.a. Jan

"S/S Warkworth"- 1875  (Scale 1/48)

One of the 1st modern iron-built Steam Colliers by Swan & Co. Newcastle on Tyne

While you're being creative, nothing is wrong.

There's no such thing as a mistake, and any

drivel may lead to the breakthrough.  

John Cleese 

Moony,

A fascinating book, thanks for the link.

I was interested to note that in the Foreword Edward Reed refers to the writings of John Scott Russell as a source. This got memories moving in the back of my head - so I dug out my copy of L.T.C. Rolt's biography of Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Rolt is a great champion of Brunel's and attributes to Scott Russell many of the problems related to Great Eastern build and in particular the boiler explosion that ended the ship's chances of being an ocean liner.

It is interesting that at least two of Brunel's three steel ships are mentioned in this work, but I could find no mention of the man himself. Instead innovative features are credited to Scott Russell.

That there was great animosity between Brunel and Scott Russell is without doubt. Whether one or other was the total "bad guy" is open to debate. What is certain is that Brunel had a habit of upsetting those in power (the bureaucracy as he saw them) which may explain his omission from this document!

Edited by ianmajor

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error.