EJ_L

La Couronne by EJ_L - Corel - 1:100 - 1637 Version

463 posts in this topic

Ratlines and stays on the main top mast have been completed! This finishes the last of the large mast sections. I plan on working on S.R. for a while and advance the planking some more on it but, when I return I think a bigger push will be in order. I plan on building the mizzen top mast as well as the fore and main top gallants and all the flag staffs. There is not much rigging needed for them and as there are no more platforms to build the construction of those masts should be relatively simple. Plus, that will finish up mast construction and then I can start on the yards!

I must admit that with every new line I rig I tend to spend more and more time just sitting back and looking at her and I am getting more and more excited about seeing the finished ship. Still months away but it is much closer to the finish than the start! :D

DSC_0223.JPG

DSC_0221.JPG

DSC_0220.JPG

DSC_0216.JPG

Unbelievable!!!  I'm blown away by the quality of your workmanship. I'm currently working on my first ship and am learning but I'm not sure I'll ever get to that level. You've set a high bar. 

Do you plan on putting her on a shelf or in a display case?

EJ_L, mtaylor and donrobinson like this

Thank you all for the kind comments and the likes! I do plan on putting her in a case when done. I am working on a design for a new curio cabinet that will have her center stage but also allow display around her for the Admiral's collections also.

Don, funny you should mention that as I have just came from that particular shelving unit and am in fact enjoying a nice beverage while I catch up on the goings on in MSW. May have to pour another when I slide over to the work bench to continue S.R.. :D:cheers:

mtaylor, donrobinson and WackoWolf like this

Beautifully done E J. Your photos are super- keep them coming.

Regards

Sold my La C.- can't work in 1:100 anymore. But I am continuing to follow your log. It is very inspirational as is the LSR.

Regards

mtaylor, donrobinson and EJ_L like this

Beautiful E.J, she's an impressive model. I'm currently building the old Sergal Sovereign of the seas also 1637 so it's nice to see a vessel from not only the same era but the same year! And to compare the English vs continental Europe ship design. 

EJ_L, donrobinson and mtaylor like this

Hey EJ_L (and several others on this site),

Should I be thanking you or cursing you?

Last week I worked on my rigging. I thought it looked pretty good, but after looking at some of these build logs I ripped it all out today and am starting over. 

I'm working on my first build and my attitude is changing as I work. Things aren't "good enough" any more. 

Youre all driving me crazy with the quality of your work. 

mtaylor, donrobinson, EJ_L and 1 other like this

5 minutes ago, Roadking said:

I'm working on my first build and my attitude is changing as I work. Things aren't "good enough" any more. 

Youre all driving me crazy with the quality of your work. 

Welcome to the wonderful of "re-do's" or "do-overs".  :D:D   It pretty much seems to be a way of life around here.  ;)

Thank you to everyone for the nice compliments! I am still far from an expert at this and there are many others on here far better than myself so the kind words mean a lot. :)

Re-dos and start overs are definitely a major component to this hobby but that is usually a sign that you are learning and growing in your understanding of ship construction and the skills to build them. Go ahead though and curse me if you want, I feel the same when looking at some of those other works on here myself. If that cursing is because I inspired you to do something better then I will gladly take it! Inspiration and motivation is what this community is all about and I am proud that I can contribute to that.

Anton, I share that same sentiment on having builds from the same time period to compare with. Many of the things I have don on her were inspired from other S.o.t.S. and Vasa builds. While they are not exactly the same many of the features and practices of the era are close enough that they are interchangeable.

Again thank you to all for the compliments and the likes! Helps to keep me motivated and pushing myself for better! :D