La Couronne by EJ_L - FINISHED - Corel - 1:100 - 1637 Version

Sunday has been another very productive day as I now have all of the supports in place and trimmed out. Ended up making 14 of them in total. Time to build a couple of ladders and a capstan to complete the upper gun deck. I will have to build supports for the ships boat but those will wait till I build the actual boat so I can make sure I get the cutouts for the hull correct.

post-22933-0-12273500-1465171865_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-53940400-1465171876_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-46408400-1465171887_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-40350800-1465171897_thumb.jpg

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

I agree, they look great!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

So this week has seen a lot of smaller details come together. I got ladders built and installed from the upper gun deck to the spar deck, railings installed, more cargo hatch gratings built and most of one of the cabin bulkheads built. Still have one more door to build and some clean up to do but overall a lot has changed. She is starting to come alive with these details.

post-22933-0-52778300-1465839885_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-77236200-1465839896_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-87106900-1465839911_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-95144700-1465839934_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-38379800-1465839990_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-19153700-1465840000.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

So after spending the last couple of days looking at the results on the cabin bulkhead, I decided that I was not happy with the trim arches over he doors and alcoves and so they are now in the trash. My plank bender crapped out on me a few weeks ago and I have not yet bought a new one so I had tried to bend them without it to less than satisfactory results. Now I am making new ones and carving the arch instead of bending it. So far I am much happier with the results. Pictures soon to follow. 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I have not tried steaming yet. The closest I have come to that has been to soak the wood then use a hot air gun when bending. That worked okay but not as good as a hot iron. Of course care must be taken not to burn the wood with the iron so steam may have the advantage there. Might give it a try till I get a new soldiering iron.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

That is what I had till it broke a few weeks ago. Worked great but didn't last long, (I bought it in January). I'm gonna try to get something with adjustable temperature and an on/off switch. Might help prevent burn out on the next one. The end piece on the electric plank bender is just held on with a screw so I can always switch it to the new one.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 2 weeks later...

The Couronne shipyard has resumed work after an extended break. We took time off to mourn the passing of my first mate Brinkley. He developed cancer unexpectedly and had to be put down last Tuesday much to the Admiral's and mine sorrow. This, combined with having to take time to finalize plans for the new shipyard which has started construction today we had a busy and rather stressful week that did not allow time for ship building.

However, now I'm back at it and so here is a quick picture update of the work that I have managed to do in the past couple of days. She is slowly climbing upward and starting to flush out some details. I think I will have lots of good build time this week so I will see what more I can get done and also take some better pictures of the whole ship soon.

It feels good to be building again!

post-22933-0-99843500-1467079941.jpg

post-22933-0-80916800-1467079954_thumb.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

My condolences on First Mate Brinkley, EJ.   I've lost my mates over time also and it's a hard thing to have happen.  They are family.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, Bob, thank you for your condolences.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

As promised here are some better pictures of the work I have been doing. All the decks have been planked, bulkheads, hatches and ladders installed. All the railings are up and some of the decorations are also installed. Now I am just missing the forecastle and the ships structure will be complete. Before I can install that though I have more canons to build first. 14 more on the spar deck. 5 to either side and 4 bow chasers. This is what I will be spending a good portion of my weekend doing. Then I can build my forecastle deck and on to the bits, kevels and racks for belaying pins and all those other various pieces needed for the rigging.

I also have to build a capstan which I only have one vague drawing of. I've been looking around at different logs trying to determine how it should look for an early 17th century. If anyone has a good suggestion I would love to hear it. 

Thanks for stopping by!  

post-22933-0-81622300-1467513814_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-50751600-1467513823_thumb.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

EJ,,

Looking sharp there.   As for the capstan, take a look at the Billing's Wasa.  That might be appropriate but I'm not 100% certain.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

After two days of building canons.... they are still not done.... however they are close. I got the carriages built and most of the rigging ready. I ran out of the blocks I needed but fortunately I placed an order with Chuck last week so I should have more in later this week. Drilled the openings for the barrels and installed the decorative wreaths. Should be able to get them rigged up this week and then I can build the forecastle deck and all the major planking will be completed.

Mark, I've taken a look at the Billings Wasa and combining it with a few other interpretations I have seen I think I now have a plan for the capstan. We shall see... :)

post-22933-0-37087300-1467722553.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

A major milestone has been reached! I finished installing the forecastle deck today and with it that was the last major structural component. I do still have the turrets, quarter galleys and balcony left to build but major work on the main body of the ship is complete. I also still have some deck furniture, bits, kevels, capstan etc. to install and those will be along shortly.

I also got the rest of the canons rigged in place so that monotonous chore is complete as well. Once the paint dries on the canons for the dummy ports I will install those and all 64 guns will be in place.

Next will be a little bit of a lot of things. I am going to start building the turrets and quarter galleys as well as the misc. furniture. Since there will be a lot of down time waiting on glue to dry for those turrets that will give me a great opportunity to build the furniture. Now that I am working on the exterior and am starting to get more delicate decorations and railing on I get more nervous as I know there will be accidents, I just hope that none will be catastrophic.

Enjoy the pics!

post-22933-0-47039800-1468192828_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-60164100-1468192847.jpg

post-22933-0-31578600-1468192856.jpg

post-22933-0-74295100-1468192866.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Progress from over the weekend. Quarter galley construction is progressing nicely. Got the lower sections on both sides built and installed. The supports for the balcony I had to remake out of the same mahogany that I used on the hull as opposed to the plywood they were originally made from. That took a good portion of Saturday but gave me an excuse to play with some of my new Dremmel bits. :D

Not pictured I have almost completed one of the turrets and I have part of the balcony decked. I have not found a fast way to build the turrets that turns out the way I want so they are a slow process. Still I would rather that then end up with a look I do not want.

Enjoy the update!

post-22933-0-81134700-1468862813.jpg

post-22933-0-18294200-1468862820_thumb.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

E.J.,

Your model is coming along wonderfully.

la Couronne was the model ship that got me into this hobby. I thought it was beautiful beautiful and very unique. I especially liked the round fighting tops and the bow configuration. Needless to say, my skills were way short of this undertaking. Nevertheless, I bought it and it sets waiting for me to buildup my confidence. One day soon, I hope.

Regards

Thank you Michael for the kind words and to all for the likes and following along.

She is a beauty and an interesting one at that. I too love the way she was built with the towers and very high stern. They are features that although not unique are still rare enough to make her stand out. She grabbed my attention from when I first saw her on model-expo's website and still captivates me even now just looking at her plans on the wall. I imagine even after she is done and sitting on display in a case I will still find myself looking at her for long periods of time.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks Vic! Glad you stopped in to take a look.

So here is a progress picture of the quarter galley I'm building. Got both turrets built and will be building the cabin in between them tomorrow. Then build the roofs and repeat the process on the other side. I've been looking forward to seeing these on her as they are some of the defining characteristics that drew me to la Couronne in the first place.  

post-22933-0-17992200-1469068389_thumb.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart