Chuck

34th Annual Northeast Ship Model Conference and Show

63 posts in this topic

Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM

Port ‘n’ Starboard Convention Center Ocean Beach Park,

New London, Connecticut 

Up to 100 detailed models on display from award winning craftsmen and artists

The opportunity to display and enter your own model(s) in competition judged by fellow attendees

Demonstrations of modeling techniques and procedures

Featured guest speaker is Chief Warrant Officer Todd Wardwell 

(USCG). He will speak on building a revenue cutter

Continental breakfast and buffet lunch

Renew old friendships and make new ones.

Vendors offering maritime and modeling books, kits, tools, and supplies

Conference attendees who wish to display models must pre-register. We need to know how many models and their display area requirements in order to allocate enough space when setting up the room 

Conference Registration Fees

(All fees are per person) $40.00 by 3/10/16 *

$45.00 after 4/5/16 *Conference Center prices have increased.  

Registration will be by mail. Fill out the accompanying form and mail it with your check, or you may go to PayPal and pay by logging on to pjlebl@comcast.net.

PDF file registration form below.

dgbot, trippwj, Jack12477 and 7 others like this

I am looking forward to this event.  It will be great to see the many MSW members who attend this event.

Here are links to the past three Conferences that have pictures of the many ship models that were on display:

2015 Northeast Joint Clubs Conference and Show

2014 Northeast Joint Clubs Conference and Show

2013 Northeast Joint Clubs Conference and Show

Please plan on attending this event if you can.  You will not be disappointed.

As always I will be there, and will make sure to take as many pictures as possible as I always do for everyone here to see. I look forward to meeting old friends and seeing new ones like in the past. I look forward to this every year. See everyone there.  

Rustyj, _SalD_, mtaylor and 3 others like this

This will be my first visit to the conference. I wish to bring my wife. Is there some sort of activity or venue for wives who are not interested in the conference?

WackoWolf and mtaylor like this

Thistle,

My wife has attended the last six shows with me.  I would estimate that about 20% of the guys bring their wives.  She will not be alone.  My wife likes to look at the models and she even watches some of the demos that are going on.  If she wants, she can bring a lawn chair and sit on the deck or on the beach enjoying the good weather that is guaranteed for the show.  She will have a good time.

Just a reminder that Thursday is the last day to save $5.00 off of the registration fee for the Conference and Show.  See the opening post for details.  I did the PayPal option and it worked very smooth.

​Lets support this show because the Clubs and their members who are planning this event are putting in a lot of time to ensure that this show will be better than the previous years show.  Every year it gets better and it is one of the best shows in the US.

Thistle, I agree with what Ryland said. My wife attended last years conference (our first) and enjoyed it immensely. We are both planning on attending this year's conference.

Ryland Craze, mtaylor and trippwj like this

Just out of curiosity, as a Westerner who doesn't know that area of the country, what is the best airport option to get to New London if coming from another part of the country?  Hartford?  Boston?

Thanks,

Erik

WackoWolf, Ryland Craze and mtaylor like this

3 good choices - Hartford (BDL), Providence (PVD) and (least prefered) Boston (BOS). I personally prefer Providence.

mtaylor, WackoWolf and Erik W like this

Erik,

Either Providence (TF Green airport) or Hartford are about the same drive time to New London - however, the entire drive on I95 (from Providence, Rhode Island) can be jammed and a mess depending on your arrival time. Both arrival airports (from Denver) are serviced by Southwest which will have the best fares. I'm not certain about a nonstop to Providence but I do know there are non stops from Denver to Hartford. When you come, you'll need to stay another day and go to Mystic Seaport which is very close to New London. The last NRG Conference was in Mystic in the fall.

Hope to see you there! Safe travels...

Ron

Hi All,

As a first timer to this meeting, should I be expecting anything back confirming my  registration or just plan to show up on the day?  :)

Also, I am thinking of heading down the night before so any hotel recommendations from those familiar with the area would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nigel.

mtaylor likes this

Nigel, I was a first timer last year. They didn't give an email confirmation then or now - just the cancelled check clearing the bank is the only confirmation - just show up. They had a packet at the door with badges etc  for each of us.  For me it's an easy 3 hr ride one way so we don't stay over but I'm told there is a Red Roof Inn in New London that some of the attendees stay at for the night.  Hope to see you there.

UpstateNY, mtaylor and WackoWolf like this

Nigel,

First and foremost - welcome to the Annual Northeast Ship Modeler's Show. You'll quickly discover your ship model colleagues are a friendly and enthusiastic bunch. :D

You'll like this event: many very nice models (close to 100 last couple of years), some important vendors to our hobby like Bluejacket, Crown Timbers, SyrenShipModels, etc... and, all kinds o' interesting people including a pretty large crew from this forum. The venue provides a very good catered lunch (really a dinner) and usually there is an interesting Conference speaker/subject.

Another couple options for your stay are the Hilton Inn in nearby Mystic and the Holiday Inn. The Holiday is $95 single occ. The Hilton is more but the hotel is very nice since it has been recently remodeled. The Hilton hosted last year's NRG Conference.

Presumably, you're driving from Upstate NY: this event is well worth the drive.

Do bring your cancelled check - or CC Statement - as back-up (just in case). The event is sort of ad hoc year-to-year and certain organizational details can be inadvertently overlooked (like email confirmations on your registration fee).

See you there Nigel. :cheers:

Ron

Hi Ron,

Many thanks for the additional info.  After all the kind replies, it is rather embarrassing, but work just reared its head over the last day or so and so I am no longer sure I can make it. :(  :( ...sigh.  

Reservation is in so that's good, but I am going to have to hold off on the hotel booking. We'll see if things move around at work again over the next week or so and  allow me to still make it...

Cheers,

Nigel.

Hey Nigel,

We all know that work drill; don't worry about it. The Conference/Show is yearly.

I hope you can work it out to attend, however. Tell the boss you're doing vital background research and you're even using your own personal time...just a suggestion... B)

Ron

Nigel, You probably can make it down and back in the same day - the trip from Saratoga Springs to New London is about the same for you as for me here in Saugerties.  Just take I-90 East to I-91 south to New London - should be around 3 hrs one way (give or take). Provided of course you work doesn't require you to work on that Saturday ;):(

mtaylor, UpstateNY and WackoWolf like this

We are getting close so if you havent signed up yet.....please do.  Please do also bring a model or two for display.  Thats the fun part of the conference.

See all of you there!!!!!

Chuck