I am attempting for the first time to put copper plates on the hull of my Syren (actually I have started this process over 3 times already). I have looked through all the logs I can find through searching, which have copper plated hulls, and I have looked at many photos of the completed process, but I am at a loss on how to actually put the plates on the hull in the proper way.

I have the copper tape, I have the plates made, but following the curve of the hull seems to be a major issue. Either I get my rows going too straight, or I can't seem to keep the proper curve going.

Does anyone have any in-process photos of how they get the curve, and keep the plates on it correctly?

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Robbyn. Check out XKen's USS Constitution build. He's currently fitting the coppered hull to his ship, and has some brilliant in-progress shots.

(Sorry that I cannot provide a link currently, as I'm on a work 'puter)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks Steve, I will do a search and see if I can find it

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hi Robbyn

Check this one out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9JWlSFzJ8uA

Steve

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

• 1 month later...

Here is a link to the build log Captain Steve mentioned above...superb work and descriptions on the copper application (just page down a bit)  :)

Link: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/page-9

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48