Rudder mounting on New England Fishing Schooners in mid 1800s

thibaultron

I've been reading Chappelle's "The American Fishing Schooners 1825 - 1935" and have come across something that has me confused, about how rudders were "hinged" before about 1880.

In describing a particular ship built in 1887

"Her very sharp ends ... hollowed sternpost, and strap pintles and grudgeons were departures from contemporary fishing schooners."

So if the strap pintles and grudgeons where not used previously, what method did they use before this to mount the rudders?

One of my upcoming projects is the Flying Fish schooner, and I would like to put the proper hardware on her.

...strap pintles and grudgeons were departures from contemporary fishing schooners."

So if the strap pintles and grudgeons where not used previously, what method did they use before this to mount the rudders?

They'd been used for hundreds of years on 'real' ships.  Perhaps you're looking for something lightweight?  I've seen a lower eye and pintle combined with an upper eye and long rod on a ship's boat, so it could be unshipped yet remain in place if it floated a bit.  If the earlier type was intended to be beached maybe they had a removable rudder?

I was surprised by that sentence in the Chappelle book, and was wondering if they had use a different arrangement. I've seen the strap type on ships several hundred years.