Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

Today I gave myself a big list of things to do including dentist, grocery shopping, 5 acres of grass to cut then finish with completing and installing the rudder. If successful I promised myself a bbq steak and a trip to the liqueur cabinet( trying to follow EJ's footsteps;)) Well steak is still the fridge yet but there have been a couple of trips to the infamous cabinet, all jobs completed!!!!! 

I realise there is a little overkill with pictures on this post, I feel there is never too many pictures when it comes to the rigging aspect of a build so please bear with me.

IMG_2230.thumb.jpg.6c8890eeab152862bb11db8c22284a64.jpg

IMG_2231.thumb.jpg.6a4ecd24d40f8fe66bb30aa0224b0beb.jpg

This what the task was for today. Top picture showing the rudder and the next picture showing the rigging for the tiller.

IMG_2223.thumb.jpg.52407f43126b93fa7b53743bf972158b.jpg

Pieces for the rudder, straps made from 3 mm copper strip

IMG_2226.thumb.jpg.2c818f8f6d1d1fa84c58470e2be65e7d.jpg

Still needs painting, this is showing the bottom bracket and bar mounted on hull the top bracket and bar is then mounted on the rudder. Receiving bracket is then mounted on hull at top and on rudder at the bottom. A much easier process, I love it!!IMG_2232.thumb.jpg.e0ced38bbad68a73d9c6a4f6056a061e.jpg

The tiller being rigged with 4 mm double blocks. Seizing is done using Gutermann thread readily available, wide assortment of colours and measures approximately .18 mm

IMG_2233.thumb.jpg.fe95fdd52e08e9118f25fa1fd1320d65.jpg  

Blocks and rope for rudder, 4mm blocks .5 mm rope and eyebolts all kit supplied, used approx 50 mm of rope for each. It is the same set up for the tiller with the exception of the eyebolt, a hook is used instead.

IMG_2234.thumb.jpg.f21105b2b3eb6606ef11c7647303323a.jpgIMG_2238.thumb.jpg.3b4b48422ffedb147c71a3f33bf0395a.jpg

IMG_2236.thumb.jpg.8efdab804d198bcd427648123491a611.jpg

Showing rigging of the tiller, the use of hooks helps so much. Here I am showing running the rope through the blocks before attaching the hook to eyebolt in bulwark.

IMG_2239.thumb.jpg.482d3d4054a0a224263262d858aaa093.jpg

IMG_2240.thumb.jpg.7004f42bb1f35adafb7a77562c1ba0a6.jpg

I will adjust that block after I'm done here. The plans do not show any sort of belaying point so I am assuming  coils of rope will be needed below the tiller later on. I have read the rope was wrapped around the tiller first to allow the helmsman to make adjustments??????

IMG_2242.thumb.jpg.e7a35b4c51117ff0371c76111f7936c5.jpg

This is what the ship's cat might see. 

You all Take Care,  

Thanks for stopping in. 

Cheers Don! :cheers: That rudder work alone is deserving of a drink or two in my book! Another excellent addition to you build. :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

hello there Don! :)   browsed through your log ,  and I must say...I'm impressed.   it's a very unique looking ship your building here.   kind of a mix between a POB and a POF.   I've done a few Billing kits that the bulkheads were open like that....but I never thought to do anything like a lower deck.......I might try that?!?!?!? ;)   the deck is another interesting feature......instead of the usual platform to plank on,  the platform is actually planked.   I've done that with a POF,  and left it at that  {Billing Regina}.  splendid work on all the fiddly bits as well......they add a lot of texture and detail.  it's too bad though that I've caught your log near the end,  but I'll at least get to see if you decide on sails or not :)   hat's off to Marisella for such a wonderful kit

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Rafine, Blighty, EJ, Mike and Dave for your comments. This is overwhelming. Thanks also for all the likes

Thanks Popeye for the compliment and joining in the log, always lots of room and never too late. These MarisStella kits have lots of cool features like the planked decks. One of the problems with the sails is that I don't put my models in cases ( the price of a case could easily buy another kit :)) so I am concerned with the cleaning of the sails. I am still hashing this out. I suppose I could hire a sail cleaner once a year :D.

It was brought to my attention by a good friend of mine, Zoran, that I did the rigging on the rudder a little wrong. I went back to the plans and sure enough what I have done is not the same as what is shown

IMG_2244.thumb.jpg.8102346280ebbac36d6d73ac77cfaed1.jpgIMG_2238.thumb.jpg.f8ea747457adfb0c42e3f7afe7fccead.jpg

As you can see the plans show only a rope on the port side tied to the rudder and on mine I have blocking on both sides. Now I know my way is wrong and not historically correct, however, I'm thinking in real life this rudder is almost 17 feet long, 4 feet at it's widest point and 6 inches thick. Given these dimensions this rudder would have weighed a ton (figure of speech) and raising it in shallow waters would have been some feat of strength. I'm thinking why not give this crew all the advantage possible and let them have a four block system:D Or should it be done the right way? Given the temperature today and this problem I am considering a trip to the refreshment fridge. Please help, or better yet come over for a cool one:cheers:

I like the symmetric look of your tackles.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

17 hours ago, Dilbert55 said:

Does anyone know if there were stoves purpose designed/built for use on sailing ships or did they use those used on land?

Depends on the type of ship. Actually the history of onboard stoves is pretty interesting - the progression from brick/stone to metal. Crew size has a lot to do with it too. A little cabin stove might work for 5-6 people. A different matter for a crew of 500.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

yea,  but looking at the diagram,  half is the bow and the other half is the stern........there may be a duplicate line on the starboard side.  this has been the case on many models I've done in the past.....wood or plastic.   would any be submersed in water?....another thing to consider.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye, in my post 506, the plan is showing the starboard side with blocks, this is why I thought both sides had them and didn't bother to look any further:default_wallbash:. Blocks are above the water line

Mike, I like the looks too even though it is not right

Once again, beautiful work Don. To answer your question, we have a small place at Sandy Beach, north of Lloyd, where we spend quite a bit of time. Back home now so the work on the Brazerra can get going and benefit every step of the way by your trailblazing!

ian

Thanks Ian, I hope your holiday was a good one and I'll be watching for some updates

On 07/07/2017 at 2:05 PM, EJ_L said:

Cheers Don! :cheers: That rudder work alone is deserving of a drink or two in my book! Another excellent addition to you build. :D

A drink or two?  I tried this while planking my last deck.  But then for some reason, the quality of my planking decreased progressively....:P

I agree Jean-Pierre, same thing has happened to me.I now have my shipyard set up so that when the liquor cabinet door opens the shipyard door automatically closes and locks. :o:D

Don,

I apologize for filling your in-box with so many "likes" - couldn't help myself. Glad that I found your build.

As has been said, your super well done details are superlative indeed. Great project! a feast for the eyes.

I was looking for a place to park my chair and follow along -OH I just found one in the nosebleed section (I have binocs -no problem)

What your shipyard doesn't serve drinks during bus. hours?

PS: I need to set up an auto bar/shipyard lock-out system such as yours ha ha - 

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hello Michael, welcome to the build there is always lots of room and never the need to apologise for filling up the inbox with likes. I very much enjoy that.

Drinking in the shipyard is allowed, however, until I find a way of controlling myself it is confined to spectators only. So you are good to go, fridge is in the back beside the recycle bin. Smoking is allowed in the two back rows and we ask that you turn off your cell phones while any power tools or sharp instruments are being used. All beverages are complimentary and self serve. Enjoy the voyage

Don,

Very funny!! - I will also check out your other builds (;-)

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

A short little update, I have started the ship's boat:

IMG_2246.thumb.jpg.481b5478cbc33ac170559787aa4c983c.jpg

Here is the balsa blank and a picture in the manual showing how it should look when done. Let's hope!

IMG_2247.thumb.jpg.87ec9b70f6222bb53cb3c00d6369f1ff.jpg

Laminating the top rails

IMG_2450.thumb.jpg.5e3268706dad9e6109ea2ec5d6708fe3.jpg

Ripping some .5 x 5 mm planking to 2.5 mm wide. The off cuts will be used for the interior ribs. The carving of the boat in this picture is almost completed, shaping was done using a rasp and sanding.

IMG_2451.thumb.jpg.f12e17f0963e2c908d3faaad82ca42f4.jpg

Showing how the keel fits on the hull, a little bit of daylight showing there but the fit is fairly good.

IMG_2453.thumb.jpg.19fff192cb0af016322bd215dfbfaa81.jpg

IMG_2456.thumb.jpg.e6ac3741e5d0ce828fd0e6bae9e554b0.jpg

First planking completed, one more layer to go

IMG_2452.thumb.jpg.42b999759655fc58d7d15d6ae569d812.jpg

I have shown this before on another log but I thought I would show it again for those who might have missed it. To make oars I cut the dowels to length, these are 3 mm diameter, give them a good soaking in water then put them in a vice to flatten them. From right to left this picture is showing the dowel, the blade after coming out of vice then the final product after a little sanding.

IMG_2443.thumb.jpg.52dd19edafc0562a1a81f41388c20283.jpg

IMG_2458.thumb.jpg.39dd16cde3b4c5ec1b0be72150312b49.jpg

The paint is still wet in this picture but these are the finished oars for the ship's boat

Thanks to all for stopping in, for all the likes and the great comments

Enjoy Your Day

What a great idea for the oars - they say the simple ideas are usually the best.

Cheers

Nigel

Current Build - HMS Victory, Caldercraft - scale  1:64,  started September 2021

Cutty Sark, Constructo - scale 1:115, finished August 2021

HMS Bounty, Constructo - Scale 1:50 - First wooden kit build, finished April 2019

Thanks Nigel, You'll have to give it a try it really works good 

Ships boat is coming along nicely and that is a great idea for the oars. I will have to use that on my next set of ship's boats. 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Ian: Thanks, it is a good way of making lots of oars in a short time

EJ: Thanks, I have been putting off building this ship's boat for sometime now thinking it was going to be too hard, as it turns out I am enjoying building it

Don, this is turning into a real beauty.  Love the finish you put on the model - it really makes the wood come alive.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 7/7/2017 at 1:55 PM, donrobinson said:

It was brought to my attention by a good friend of mine, Zoran, that I did the rigging on the rudder a little wrong. I went back to the plans and sure enough what I have done is not the same as what is shown

IMG_2244.thumb.jpg.8102346280ebbac36d6d73ac77cfaed1.jpgIMG_2238.thumb.jpg.f8ea747457adfb0c42e3f7afe7fccead.jpg

As you can see the plans show only a rope on the port side tied to the rudder and on mine I have blocking on both sides. Now I know my way is wrong and not historically correct, however, I'm thinking in real life this rudder is almost 17 feet long, 4 feet at it's widest point and 6 inches thick. Given these dimensions this rudder would have weighed a ton (figure of speech) and raising it in shallow waters would have been some feat of strength. I'm thinking why not give this crew all the advantage possible and let them have a four block system:D Or should it be done the right way? Given the temperature today and this problem I am considering a trip to the refreshment fridge. Please help, or better yet come over for a cool one:cheers:

Hi Don,

I'm not clear how you tell from the plan that it is intended only to be blocked on one side?  Just trying to understand so I can do a better job of interpreting plans myself.

By the way, has anybody mentioned on how terrific your build is?  ;)

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Hey Doug, in the picture above the plan is showing the port side of the bow and stern. On the left side, the stern just a rope is going to the rudder, the other side is the bow. In a previous post I showed a picture of the plans that was showing the starboard side of the stern where there was a blocking system, I think it was in post 506. Hopefully this clears things up for you, if not let me know and I can re-post the two pictures side by side which may make it easier to see what I am saying. I don't mind, let me know.