Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

Hi Don, thank very much for replying to my query, yes I have the kit and have progressed as far as frame and am ready to start planking, should be able to get through planking but after that look forward to some expert assistance, took two years of my eighty to complete Diana, but was well worth it. I am sure you are well aware that such sharing of the progress you make on build logs is of" extreme" value to beginners. Without doubt there are many like myself who may not always contribute but follow with regularity. Will keep an eye on Stefano log and will undoubtedly have some questions to ask of you.

Robert

Since I've been away for a bit I missed a lot of great stuff it seems.:blush:

Sublime build Don!

Robin :)

Edited by Robin Lous

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

• 2 weeks later...

Good to have you back Robin

Good Morning all, well it's back to work Tuesday(in the shipyard that is!) and I have some progress to show. First of all a big Thanks for all the likes and comments. I've been busy with sails lately and the incredible amount of work they take, that's my excuse for such a small update!!

IMG_2659.thumb.jpg.d52ec471254c450f9e51f352549561bf.jpg

Here I am making a zip seizing to be used for the corner re-reinforcements of the sprit sail. I used .75 mm rope wrapped around a #52 (approx 1 mm) drill bit then coated with diluted Weldbond glue. Once dry I used a razor blade to cut one segment off at a time then installed in the sail.

IMG_2660.thumb.jpg.123317f16aedf734327fbdd31b0a0137.jpg

Here is the finished sail, wires were installed into the two outside edges to help aid in shaping later on

IMG_2663.thumb.jpg.dcebf4e9b7395142af2554f1ac569b90.jpg

A close up showing the corner reinforcement, a detail that won't be noticed but something I wanted to try. The outside diameter of the ring is approximately 3 mm.

IMG_2658.thumb.jpg.64f51b00710b0695c8ea9b014a418f72.jpg

The traveller, hooks were hand made and the ends have since been paintedIMG_2664.jpg.7cb1fdb3c15e38808643294a38860efd.jpgIMG_2665.jpg.f0be0751bb779aad2c49aa7cc7560cb9.jpgIMG_2667.jpg.316ad2e5fad7e1435a0fee8734b8ec18.jpg 

IMG_2671.thumb.jpg.cb6d05fdc7f6a62ffcf0a1ee21bebb3f.jpg

Here is how she looks, it does not look this wrinkled in real life. I will say, though, never ever ever wash and dry sails it does not end up well!!

I have started the other two sails, just need to attach the spars to them and they should be ready to install. 

You all have a Good Day

try ironing them before putting them on.......it doesn't take a lot.   I do it during the preparation of the sails.....then when I'm ready to seal them,  I'll paint them with diluted white glue and drape them over a crumpled up towel covered with plastic wrap.   this will give them the wrinkle they need and it usually stays  :)    I like your take on the traveler.......neat bit of innovation  :)   well done on the sail too........looks very good  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye, I ironed  them 3 or 4 times and still couldn't get the wrinkles out. I used that hemming tape to do the hems so I was unable to use steam in the iron, I'm thinking that might be a problem too. It does look much worse in the pictures. I like your idea with the sails and will have to try that, that is if I ever do sails again:default_wallbash:.

Don, those sails look great! I will make a suggestion without knowing whether it will work but perhaps you could experiment with. My daughter passed on a trick she uses while travelling. Mix one quarter fabric softener with three quarters water and spray the material. Let dry and maybe...just maybe...the wrinkles will leave. I’ve never tried it but my daughter swears it works.

ian 

I starched the heck out  of my sails. Go lite else it'll scorch but do 2-3 applications. That sucker will stand up by itself after that. Of course there is no such thing as a flat sail but the residual starch in the material will let you shape it somewhat.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thanks Bob and Ian.

Bob:Man I hear you on that one

Ian: I will try that next time, worth a try. Thanks

The wrinkles were driving me crazy, so I undid the sheet lines allowing me to hold the sail, then I painted the sail with water then using my portable ironing board( !/2" x 4" x 8" piece of basswood wrapped in dish cloth) I carefully ironed again avoiding the seams. Looks much better now.

I have lived my whole life hardly ever ironing clothes and I'll wear clothes that have sat in the dryer for a week and don't worry about it. Now here I am spending an hour of my life on the edge of going for a drink and ironing a sail. What is it about this hobby?:default_wallbash::cheers:

Anyway here are some new pictures:

IMG_2687.thumb.jpg.5ce50ac040860d5e773d7de2d24e61f0.jpg

IMG_2688.thumb.jpg.52f2e6ef90956ae8dc3db292bc3aebdc.jpg

IMG_2689.thumb.jpg.7bd5122518e283366c3ecd63eb6ac71e.jpg

IMG_2690.thumb.jpg.239a6df251163ba151f066372a743eb3.jpg

A huge difference...well worth the effort.

Beautiful build and I like the refreshing range of kits MarisStella has. Quality of them seems to be top notch also.

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Kinda like the difference between a t-shirt I pull out of the dryer and throw on and a t-shirt the admiral would wear. :D

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Don,

Very nice update. That traveler's hook is also great detail work. Sails are very difficult to get "right" looking - you hit the mark.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Robin: Thanks Robin. They really are great kits and offer a different variety from what others have. They are not easy kits to build and certainly do challenge your skills. I have built and building five of their kits now and each one has it's own level of expertise required, the quality and price make them an excellent buy.

Mike: I like that comparison :). So true

Michael: Thanks, this is my first time with sails and I am defiantly learning lots. I am although a little worried about my Stefano build which has more than thirty sails, I'll wait and see what happens there.

On 07/10/2017 at 2:00 PM, r63701 said:

Hi Don, thank very much for replying to my query, yes I have the kit and have progressed as far as frame and am ready to start planking, should be able to get through planking but after that look forward to some expert assistance, took two years of my eighty to complete Diana, but was well worth it. I am sure you are well aware that such sharing of the progress you make on build logs is of" extreme" value to beginners. Without doubt there are many like myself who may not always contribute but follow with regularity. Will keep an eye on Stefano log and will undoubtedly have some questions to ask of you.

Robert

Robert again I must apologise for missing your post, I don't know what my problem is. Good news is that I have pulled it off it's resting place and I am just refreshing myself as to what steps are required to start again, Soon my friend soon

see.....you figured something out.......I knew you would  :)    "wrinkle envy!"    looks much better!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

Edited by donrobinson

Sorry about that I clicked the wrong button too soon.

So this how the last posting goes: First picture is showing where to trim sail, second picture is showing the tape I used for the hems, third picture is showing after being trimmed and the forth is showing the wire that was inserted into the outside edges.

Ok, now that I got my mind together:

Sail hemmed with the iron on tape

IMG_2672.thumb.jpg.c2fcd10e0777f4a16686feb282182357.jpg

Marking holes to sew on bolt rope

IMG_2674.thumb.jpg.98524cc98fd98dac6ca83a2d39116097.jpg

Kringles made from serving some wire then shaping on a dowel

IMG_2684.thumb.jpg.8aea7ab60b036a1aa596bd0bc0888508.jpg

Completed sail, still needs the little ropes at the top ironed, what is the name for these ropes?

IMG_2713.thumb.jpg.e0577e10504ef2a12a0cf89a3a3625d0.jpg

IMG_2715.thumb.jpg.bcb007c85813a01d2be7fe5f167d3592.jpg

And up next is to make a couple parrels

IMG_2697.thumb.jpg.5054bda47da5536d6fbcb091b0a075a8.jpg

Have a Good Day everyone and Thanks for all the likes and comments

Edited by donrobinson

Hey Don - are there telltales on both sides of the sail? It's worth spending a little time trying to get a consistent angle and shape to them. You can keep them off the sail but stiffen them with some beeswax or glue/water. Or you can lay them to the sail which is typically how they would be if the sail is trimmed properly. In most cases they will all point/lay in the same direction.

they are reef lines........well done on the sail  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great work Don, I'm glad that you are adding sails to her.  Sails take a lot of work though, don't they?  I only added furled sails to my Badger, but it took me a lot of research and experimentation to get to where I was happy with them.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Don, 

Really nice work. Learned a lot about sails looking at your work (too late however haha) Also wished I had seen that parrel mounting detail about three days ago haha again too late.

Very nice project as well as excellent research.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Mike: Thanks, yes they are a lot of work, however, I am starting to really enjoy the looks of them

Michael: While watching your build of the Wasa this comes as quite a compliment. Thanks

Hello All, Thanks for visiting, for all the likes and the awesome comments. Well I have the stern area completely finished with the sail, all rigging and rope coils also did a little clean up. I will say that installing sails is lots of work, and there is only three of them, they are starting to grow on me. I would say, though, if you are thinking about sails to start with a fore and aft craft as the rigging is a lot less complex and it will give you a taste to whether or not you will enjoy installing sails.

Enough with the oratory, here are some pictures of what's been going on:

IMG_2731.thumb.jpg.ad2055d89a8dbf0edaf21219955a0870.jpgIMG_2733.thumb.jpg.b307b7de3df49e85e9264a1fe7546e6d.jpgIMG_2737.thumb.jpg.d5bbf8c5a8a582694a895153e3440e5a.jpgIMG_2742.thumb.jpg.7f169a309fab81a5a85f58170366a3c1.jpgIMG_2743.thumb.jpg.adc4b276eb5ce019d5de31460b31194c.jpgIMG_2744.thumb.jpg.e0d7a74f0619f4966cac6f623d8be068.jpgIMG_2746.thumb.jpg.f66c3ed4280e8e3a3c19d4b4e66841ee.jpgIMG_2749.thumb.jpg.a517e47422599a0b3d1b19f05d4bca9d.jpgIMG_2750.thumb.jpg.cb4639f0564af37429b27cd5b3e2048d.jpgIMG_2751.thumb.jpg.3c77017f886a33b0f980de76022519d8.jpg

The end is getting closer, next up is the fore sail and finish off the bow area. The next couple of days will be spent on the Stefano and another project so I'll see you soon.

Thanks Again

Beautiful work indeed Don! Well done!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks so much Bob and EJ for your comments, and to all those for the likes

You sails look absolutely fantastic!!   It also reminds me why I use furled sails.

Great work with the sowing and all your other techniques.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Ken and B.E. I certainly do appreciate you fellows stopping in

Edited by donrobinson