Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

It makes me smile every time I see a build that is off the beaten path if you know what I mean. So many of the same ole, same ole. My appreciation to Zoran for making available something different. And Don, to your painstaking attention to detail and your willingness to share it :cheers:

It's a nice feeling to change that thread title isn't it?

Thanks!

Edited by mikiek

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thank You all so much, this is just overwhelming!! I apologise for taking so long to reply but I took Frank's(riverboat) advice and "hit the liqueur cabinet" in a little celebration;).

Elijah I don't really care for cases on my models, I know it is wrong but usually once or twice a year I'll take them and give them a good cleaning, It only takes 30 minutes and gives me more "bonding time" with the model. lol

Hubac, the decking material I used is cherry

Popeye the next main project is the Stefano and also the Pegasus in my spare time

Graham, the colours are just something I thought up, it really should have a black hull with red and white trim. I just couldn't bear the thought of painting all that nice wood!

Mike, you know the feeling of "completed" and yes it is great!!

Again "Thanks" to all for the outstanding comments and for all the likes, this is exactly what makes this site the best

I totally agree with the "off the beaten path" sentiment.

Mike, you know the feeling of "completed" and yes it is great!!

Ah, yes, it is indeed a great feeling, but the word we're searching for here is "finished."  ;)

Congrats, Don -- she really does look fine.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Fabulous work and it's been a real joy to see it develop.  Looking forward to your next build.

Cheers

Nigel

Current Build - HMS Victory, Caldercraft - scale  1:64,  started September 2021

Cutty Sark, Constructo - scale 1:115, finished August 2021

HMS Bounty, Constructo - Scale 1:50 - First wooden kit build, finished April 2019

Thanks so much Chris and Nigel

Don,

Gorgeous project. From every photo'd angle she looks perfect.

Even super close-up your sail material looks totally in scale Now that (for me) is also brilliant on your part.

Congratulations indeed.

Cheers,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Gorgeous Don, really amazing work.  The wood really came to life on it with your techniques.  Let me add my congratulations to the chorus!

By the way, that trip to the liqueur cabinet was very well deserved.  :cheers:

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Len, Michael and Mike Thanks so much guys

Don, what is your procedure for cleaning your models?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hey Elijah, sorry for taking so long. I use a very soft brush and lightly brush everything, I also made an attachment for my vacuum to hook on a 1/4" hose. When I'm all done I use the same brush and put just a very small amount of pledge then give it a quick dusting again cleaning the brush as I go and re-applying the pledge(very small amounts) to the brush. I do this usually once or twice a year, whole process takes less than an hour. I also have an air compressor, but have not used it yet as the noise is so annoying, maybe next time.

That sounds like a good method, but I have one question. What is pledge? :huh:

p.s. Dave, I couldn't agree more right now. :D

Edited by Elijah

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

a spray for dusting......wouldn't think that it's the floor finish.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Pledge is the name of the acrylic floor finish once known as Future. If you read the label on one of the bottles, it may say "with Future". At least here in the US.

Our armor and aircraft friends have been using it for years, especially as a clear gloss coat before decaling. Dip clear styrene in it to protect the plastic. It can also be used to seal your decals and then do some weathering using various paints. However, if you weather with powders, spray a dull/matte finish beforehand to hold the powders.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Yup, just a dusting spray of any sort

Gotta jump in here. Be careful with dusting sprays. Many have wax and other ingredients in them which you may or may not want on your model. Wax is actually slightly sticky and will collect dust over time.

The Future product Don refers to is a good one and has been used to finish models for years. That was the intent of the product.  But Pledge has a whole line of products, so be careful what you get.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

You are right Mike, the stuff I use is a "no wax formula". What I do is spray some in a lid off of a jar drag my brush lightly through it then wipe the brush on a clean rag. So the brush is just barely damp before I use it on my models, it is acting more as a dust magnet than as a polish. I've been doing this for over two years now and it seems to be doing the job well so far.

Make sure it says Future on the label. I think in Europe it's called Klir. Like Don says, use the no wax formulas.

For some added info, look here: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Forgot Don is in CA.  Probably a marketing difference between there and the US. Go to a store here and you're likely to find 5-6 Pledge products on the shelf and it's possible none of them are Future. Read the labels & fine print.

Good link Ken.

• 7 months later...

Don,

Just gone through your build,  beautiful work, very detailed and great skill.

Robert

Glad to see a long shot so I can see the whole boat.  Excellent!

Very impressive.

I can go on but my fingers will get sore.

Congratulations.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

• 4 years later...

Hi Don

Apologies for dredging this log back up from the depths of time. It is a stunning model and perfectly built by you - so much so , in both cases, that I am buying one from Zoran. 

Cheers

A

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)