Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

Thanks E.J., you said it so well and it's so true ;)

I like your thoughts Ian, maybe a cool one is in order. Thanks for stopping in

Thanks Mike, what kit did you get?

SShhh - don't tell the Admiral - kit(s). :dancetl6:   Trajta and the Ragusian Cog.  The response time to my emails was impressive. Two to three hours max, any time of day. I also didn't know they had a Canadian distributor.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Secret is good with me ;) . You have some sweet kits coming, yes Rick at Modellers Workshop just started a couple of months back distributing MarisStella kits. He is a super guy, and Zoran at MarisStella is always there to help and really knows his stuff so you should have no problems. Of course if you really get desperate I will always be around to put my 2 cents(CDN) in ;)  :P  :P . Hope you enjoy them

Thanks Mr. Mike, thanks you all guys...

... and of course, as I explained to Mr. Rick a few days before and what could be interesting you (if not, just forget about it) :

The meaning of the MarisStella term :

This is latin, it comes out from two words:
'Maris' ... this means 'something or someone belonging to the sea... or 'of the sea';
and
'Stella' ... this means 'a star' or 'the star'...
In the Latin this comes together and means :
'The Star of The Sea'

Also , this term is very connected to the ships and the sailors, of course, especially to the older guys ....

:)

Regards,
Zoran

Good Morning Dave and Thanks for stopping in, you are right about the ca and weldbond. I like this method as the ca acts as the clamp and the weldbond as the "muscle" for adhesion. I use the medium ca so a person still has some time to position the piece being glued, this method really speeds things up. 

Hi Zoran, Thanks for the explanation of the MarisStella name. That was real interesting :)

You are right, Don. It really speeds up the process.

Zoran: We are vacationing on St. Martin F.W.I. In a small fishing village called Grand Case, there is a beautiful little Catholic Church located by the water's edge.. The name? "Maria Maris Stella" - "Mary, Star of the Sea"

Great pictures Don. I appreciate you detailing some of your thought process during your build. It is helpful so hear how others approach things. :)

I agree :)

Thanks Skipper and Bob, that's what this site is all about is sharing ideas and methods. I certainly did not learn what I know by myself :P  :P ,  most of it was from this site. I would have a had a pile of expensive kindling by now if it were not from watching others here ;)  :)  :) .

Looking forward to seeing you start your new build log Skipper

Good evening folks, did a little work on the stowage hatch and thought I'd show some pictures.

This one is showing the location marked out and ready to cut

post-20628-0-47548800-1480643696_thumb.jpg

Here the hatch has been cut out using a rotary tool and a 1 mm end mill bit( a little shaky on the cut, should have had a beer maybe :P )

post-20628-0-49806400-1480643722_thumb.jpg

The hatch has been trimmed up and sanded using a sanding block\

post-20628-0-89931800-1480643773_thumb.jpg

The hatch has been built and am cleaning up the covers

post-20628-0-04905300-1480643813_thumb.jpg

This how it looks installed

post-20628-0-02957300-1480643845_thumb.jpg

I did not take any pictures of the construction of the hatch. It is basically two boxes built around each other. The only minor problem was when I was sanding the two inside end panels. I was using the disc sander sanding both pieces at once and did not realise one had moved forward, so I sanded that end flush, turned it end for end and sanded flush again. Although all ends were very smooth and even the pieces were now 3 mm too short. :(  :angry:  :P

So after singing a beautiful happy song it was out to the garage to make two new ones :D  :D

post-20628-0-59800600-1480643872_thumb.jpg

Here I am packed up and ready to go to garage to spray some varathane

post-20628-0-18020400-1480643923_thumb.jpg

Out in garage, cutting some spare hatch covers. I had a thought of maybe painting the hatch covers so I thought making some practice ones would be a good idea.

post-20628-0-66868000-1480645123_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-80000100-1480645148_thumb.jpg

Covers and hatch got a total of six coats of spray on satin varathane

post-20628-0-15078000-1480645182_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-75058600-1480645218_thumb.jpg

To attach the rope handles to the hatch covers I decided to use zip siezings. The rope I am using for the handles is .025 in. or .633 mm from Syren. The zip siezings are 1.3 mm i.d. and 1.77 mm o.d. and approx. 1.5 mm long

post-20628-0-68822500-1480645352_thumb.jpg

First step is to thread two siezings onto the line, after stiffening the end of the line with ca then cutting the end at an angle

post-20628-0-11816000-1480645386_thumb.jpg

Then run rope through the bottom and back down from the top. Then insert the end of the line though the two siezings

post-20628-0-51047700-1480645448_thumb.jpg

Flatten one side of an appropriate size of dowel to the proper height, in this case 3 mm, and adjust the rope around it.

post-20628-0-63432200-1480645528_thumb.jpg

When adjusted properly turn it over, glue and cut the ends off. In the macro picture it looks kind of bulky but in reality it looks good.

post-20628-0-84022000-1480645565_thumb.jpg

Finally here is how they look. Now 19 more to go

post-20628-0-34058700-1480645585_thumb.jpg

Have a Good Night

Edited by donrobinson

Those hatch covers are awesome And the rope handlesare a great addition. Thanks for the details on how you made them also. Very well done!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

I was using the disc sander sanding both pieces at once and did not realise one had moved forward,

Don't you hate when that happens? Something similar happened when I was gluing a hull/frame panel for my

Woody Joe's HIGAKIKAISEN (with it's unusual hull construction). I was so focused on the gluing, I didn't notice that one side slide a little, making the entire thing just a little kitty-wumpus.

Very crisp and nicely done! I look forward to more!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Very helpful illustrations Don. I will definitely be using your ideas!

Ian

Always a scary thing - cutting holes in your boat. Would not have thought to use an end mill with a hand tool. Of course at the stage you are at, what else are you going to do?  I'll have to try that.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thanks E.J., I think I prefer the rope handles to the normal eyebolt and ring ones

Hey Bob probably is the same song, consists of one word sung many times does this sound familiar

Thanks for dropping in Skipper, I remember now when that happened to you. Gives a person a warm feeling all over or should I say a hot a very very hot feeling :angry:  :P  :)

Hello Mike, good excuse to have a cool one..... right?

Good to see you drop by Ian, help yourself to any of the ideas my bulb does not shine bright very often :P  ;)

Hi Mike they really are the way to go. Using a saw and with the up and down motion would have ripped the thin planking(.5 mm) making a mess. These bits are cheap to buy less than a $1.00 each and they stay sharp a long time when cutting wood. Only seven more holes to go!!!!

Thanks HD, that stands for Holiday Dave, I mean....really....holidays again :)  :)  :)  :)  :)