Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

Thanks Elijah, good of you to stop in

Hello all, Thanks for stopping in for a look, for all the likes and the awesome comments. Today(yesterday now) I took a day off building the Trabaccolo(sort of) and took some time to use a few of the tools I had to have but some have never used. So I built a ships wheel, yes I know the Trabaccolo has a tiller but she was a ship of trade and on one of her journeys she picked this one up, hope you enjoy:\

First up is the handles, actually this wasn't the first up but at the time when I started I did not think I would be showing any of this. So this is 3 mm walnut dowel, from MarisStella, the knob part is 6mm long for a total length from end to end of 12 mm and just turned on my rotary tool. I used some rifler files to do the shaping.

post-20628-0-74262600-1481003791_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-63085600-1481003827_thumb.jpg

These next couple of pictures are showing the handles in place,this is where I missed taking pictures. I started with a dowel, trued it up on the lathe then mounted the chuck on the rotary table(also mounted to a tilting table) that is attached to the mill. I drilled the 8 edge holes at 1.5 mm using a end mill bit, then laid the table assembly to the horizontal position.  I made the centre hole using a 3 mm end mill bit then moved it over to within 2mm of the outside edge and cut a 3 mm wide groove(rabbit).

post-20628-0-38305200-1481003851_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-49421500-1481003872_thumb.jpg

As you can see the wood was really breaking apart, this was just a piece of an old broom handle, so everything got a coat of thin ca. After glue was dry it was put back on lathe and separated(again no pictures) using the parting tool. Doing it this way solves the problem of getting the hub centred as it is still one piece

post-20628-0-17915400-1481003897_thumb.jpg

These next two pictures are just turning down some brass for the centre hub (not rocket science but first time for me :P ) the piece is about .5 mm thick and 8mm in diameter, I think it could have been  a little smaller but I was trying to cover up the wooden hub.

post-20628-0-24634100-1481003925_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-57335400-1481003958_thumb.jpg

And here is the result of my "fun day", it measures 31.5 mm from knob end to knob end. Still needs a light sanding and some wipe on poly, it should look real good in the cargo hold as it only has eight handles instead of the proper ten :P  :).

post-20628-0-91252400-1481003984_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-77939400-1481004010_thumb.jpg

The next "fun day" may see a stand and drum for it

Edited by donrobinson

Very nice ship's wheel! It is almost a shame that it won't be mounted on a ship that uses it. ;)

Edited by EJ_L

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Excellent job with the wheel, Don. Now you can use the same technique to make belaying pins in the proper scale (most are cartoonishly oversized.). If you did that for, say, an HMS Victory model It might take you 40 years to finish!

Edited by DocBlake

Hey Don, I've been away from MSW for a while, but logged on this morning to catch up with your build and had a nice treat in seeing your build and ship's wheel.  I plan to order three from you in the future if you don't mind for my current builds :)

Really nice work!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hey Chris, Thanks. This was fun, something a little different.

Thanks so much Lawrence, good of you to stop in

Hey E.J., it is a little bit of a shame but it was so much fun. Now I want to make more, the cargo hold maybe full by the time I'm done :P  ;)

High Dave, you are so right about the forty year thing :D . They are fun to make but I am not sure I would take on a job like that

Thanks for stopping Mike, I will let you know when I am about to start taking orders ;)  :)  :)

Thanks Ian, I just thought it was about time I started using these tools that I "had" to have. Now if I keep building ships wheels for ships that don't have wheels I'll have put these tools to real good use!!!!!!

Hello Mike, how is the shop coming. The pins are in the mail and the wheels will follow soon ;)  :D

Hi Don,

Just caught up with your beautiful log on the Trabakul.

What a great build you are constructing.

Love your details.

No snow in Brisbane Australia, so absolutely loved the outdoor snow scene pic.

Keep up the excellant work.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Hi Dave, thanks for stopping in. The snow in the pictures has since melted away and has been replaced with a new layer(not as much). It is now a balmy -23c, with wind chill, great weather for this hobby!!!!!!!

Thanks B.E., great of you to stop in

Hello all just a small update, Thanks to all for stopping in, for your likes and great comments.

I finally got the courage up to cut all the holes in the deck and I must say all went good, and I also finished up my ships wheel.

Not much to be said the pictures say it all. the cuts were made with a 1 mm end mill bit then finished with a file.

The very first picture shows the outline for the aft hatch which I spent considerable time measuring, marking and double checking..............even though it was perfectly square and centred I had to erase all of it as this is the bow :angry:  :huh:  :P . Things got better after this, glad I didn't start to cut. The deck has one coat of poly now on it and will get two or three more

Enjoy

post-20628-0-88359100-1482193942_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-74810300-1482193960_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-71181200-1482193984_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-70735100-1482194027_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-85675300-1482194831_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-94233200-1482194057_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-87639900-1482194080_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-25710700-1482194107_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-77336100-1482194128_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-73854600-1482194150_thumb.jpg 

All deck furniture and masts are just sitting in their places, nothing is permanently fixed yet.

Have a Good Evening 

That's looking so nice and clean Don. Great shot showing how well your scuppers are lined up.

Ian

Beautiful ships wheel! Looks like you did a good job cutting your holes and that all the double checking has paid off since everything on deck appears properly in place.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Ian, the suppers were fun. One has to be careful as the little tabs in between the suppers are very fragile.

Hey E.J. Thanks for stopping in. I was surprised how good it all went and was very happy there were no extra holes that needed to be cut. ;)