Independence 1775 by DocBlake - Artesania Latina - 5/16" scale.

Like a zero-clearance insert for the table top!  Thanks, Don!

One advantage to the thicker planking (1/32") is a lot more leeway when finish sanding the hull.  Unless you use a belt sander, very little chance of sanding through a plank!  :D

Edited by DocBlake

I think the Byrnes saw fence has a clearance gap of approximately just under 0.7mm.  It was a pain to cut 0.5mm planks for my Pegasus because the wood would slide right under the fence.  Using the Grr-Ripper helped, but I think Don's approach, or alternatively, gluing a strip along the bottom of the fence like Dan Vadas did would be better approaches.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 3 weeks later...

Slow going on the planking.  The hull dimensions are weird.  Rather than be significantly wider at he stern, I'll actually have to taper some planks after adding a stealer to start an upward run of the planks.  There is also a little "tail" that points upward at the sternpost.  I custom cut some planks to eliminate it.  So at the stern I have to add a stealer, and then taper planks to make up for it so the planking matches the sheer of the wales.  UGH!  Not my favorite part.

post-3900-0-44943400-1478806302_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-58028800-1478806319_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-77117100-1478806335_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Leaving paradise to return to cold Wisconsin.  Ready to restart my modeling after a 2 week break.  Here's a view from the villa on St. Martin, FWI we rented for the family.  It's good to be retired!

post-3900-0-81904900-1481118860_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Thanks for that update Dave............It is -26 C. here with the wind chill today...........and you send pictures of a beach :angry:  ;)  :P

Beautiful planking so far. The contrast of natural woods is striking. Excellent work.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

With the Christmas holiday past, I'm back planking the hull.  The shape is really weird, and is requiring some very interesting custom planks.  At the stern, I'll need another stealer, or a plank that "widens" at the end of it's run to get the stern planked properly.  The final strake will be custom fit, and I'm going to try to arrange it so that it's made up of three planks, not just two.  The fitting will be easier that way.

post-3900-0-58740300-1482940265_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-93904900-1482940285_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-18748200-1482940303_thumb.jpg

Looks real nice Dave. Your selection of woods really compliment each other.

The run of the planking looks very good, especially as it turns up towards the tuck. Good job fairing that area.

Russ

Only 3 more strakes on each side to complete and the hull planking is done!  No joggle planks (drop planks) were used at all, and I only needed one stealer per side at the stern to start the rise of the planking to match the shear.  This was a difficult hull to do, but I learned a lot.

post-3900-0-33801600-1483225578_thumb.jpg

That looks pretty good. Looks like 2 or 3 more strakes left.

Russ

At last post I had 3 strakes per side to install.  These proved to be the most difficult of the entire job!  The hull is finally planked!  A major milestone.

Overall I'm happy with the results, especially at the bow and amidships.  The stern could have turned out better with more uniformity in the terminal widths of the planking, but I did the best I could given the weird geometry of the hull aft of the final bulwark. 

Next up is treenailing, then fairing the hull.  Once that's all done I'll turn to completely rebuilding the transom and figure out a way to install the fashion pieces at the stern

post-3900-0-49141300-1483389103_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-03582200-1483389115_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-22816300-1483389148_thumb.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. There is always something that we think can be better in our models. That is a natural reaction. Good work.

Russ

I finished treenailing the hull.  The pattern is stylized with treenails only on the bulkheads where butt joints in the planking occur.  I'm still not sure whether to try to treenail the bulwarks, because they are very thin, and the risk of drilling through the inside surface from the outside is real.  I'll have to think about it.  I'm now planning my rebuild of the transom

post-3900-0-64684800-1483637571_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-44697500-1483637589_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-36783800-1483637606_thumb.jpg

I started work on the transom.  I photocopied the horrible metal casting that was supposed to be the transom and rubber cemented it to a piece of 1/64" thick plywood.  I was able to cut out the outline with a simple pair of scissors!  I carefully removed the lights from the plywood and then removed the template and residual rubber cement.  I planked the transom in swiss pear.  next up are the lights (windows).  I'll make them out of boxwood as I did in my AVS build, 

post-3900-0-36860300-1483742389_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-59770500-1483742405_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Nice work. You can recreate the entire piece in wood if you like.

Russ

I'm curious Doc, are you planning on naming this model Independence? There were a couple of schooners in service at this time as the model is a variation of Halifax you have a few options at your disposal, Gaspee for example. Just intrigued :)

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

Thanks, guys.

Charlie:! I haven't thought about a name yet, only it won't be Independence". I'm open to ideas and suggestions. If I choose a real historic vessel name, I may have to deal with the nitpickers who'll point out inaccuracies in my build compared to the actual historic ship!