USS Constitution by AndyMech - FINISHED - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC

The green boat is historically accurate, at least according to the Navy History web site. In July of 1812, ship had 5 cutters (one green) and a gig. See http://www.history.navy.mil/USSCTour/manuals/ConstitutionBoatsReport.pdf.

BTW, just starting my first connie in 40 years so your build log and the others on this site have given me some great ideas on how to proceed. Hope it comes out half as good as yours. Now, back to painting decks.

It depends on how well the mast holes line up.  The bottom deck floats so you have some adjustment when inserting the masts.

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

A few posts back, Kim generously offered to build a display case for this ship, now completed.  I was really touched, but I had to turn him down as I had just started working with a friend of mine on building my own.  My friend has a nicely equipped woodshop in his basement and offered to help me out if I bought the materials.  I purchased an ebook with plans and started working on it about a month ago.  Out of respect for the eBook author, I'll not show full construction, but just a few shots of the work.

For a base, I used a half sheet of baltic birch plywood, 41" x 19":

post-308-0-61302000-1381193240_thumb.jpg

I bought a nice piece of clear pine, and we ripped 3/4" square rods from it.  After they were done, we notched it 3/16" deep with a table saw.  These form the frame, the notches for the glass.  The supports are 30" high, which is maybe too tall, but better than too short!

post-308-0-33128500-1381193242_thumb.jpg

The completed case awaiting stain.  I used General Finishes Prairie Wheat in gel form.  Wipe on, wipe off.

post-308-0-55108500-1381193244_thumb.jpg

Stained:

post-308-0-52829800-1381193245_thumb.jpg

After staining, I applied two coats of polyurethane.  Not the wipe on, but brushed and in semi-gloss.  

Just today, glass arrived, and here the glass is being installed.

post-308-0-41485000-1381193246_thumb.jpg

I put in the ship, but it's not secured yet.  I'm going to wait until my cross section is done and I'll replace the canoe with the cross section - I hope it makes for a nice overall display.  Then, I'll mount the Connie on a base and screw that base to the display base.

post-308-0-83338900-1381193246_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-41141200-1381193247_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-42304500-1381193291_thumb.jpg

very well done Andy!   more than enough room for this fine lady  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

This looks really nice Andy, I wish I had room for something of this nature. I do have a unique piece of wood that I'll probably mount the Conny along side my Morgan on the same piece.....rustic and open will be the concept. I eally think this looks very respectable.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hi Andy...!!!  Beautiful Job my friend...!!!   Kind of a fun project, doing the case, Eh...??? Sure was for me...!!!  It just seems to enhance the Ship, and absolutely increases the value, considerably...!!!  (PLEASE be sure to contact your insurance carrier...[as I went through this one time with water damage, of all things !!]

and fortunately, State Farm took care of it, without question...the 'Case' made about a $ 670.00 difference, which helped out a bit) Nice Job...!!! Kim

Edited by KimatHm

Current Builds in Progress: 'Novelty Build'...'DreamShip'...'Wooden Shoe' of 'Wynken, Blinkin, & Nod' - U.S.S. Constitution (Revell) ; America .

Andy. It looks beautiful. Amazing. I have an entertainment center almost exactly like yours and I will now be able to show my wife how the finished project will look! (Funny, I have a canoe like yours too but mine is painted red on the planks. I bought mine at an auction however). :)

Edited by lambsbk

Thanks everyone for the nice words - I'm very pleased the way it turned out.  Kim, I didn't even consider value from an insurance standpoint, thanks for the advice.

Now I can finally focus on my cross-section and eventually the Syren.

Andy.

Case looks terrific Andy.  A beautiful home for a fine piece of work!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

• 3 months later...

Thanks.  Right now, I plan on putting this cross-section into the same case as my Revell plastic Constitution to make a nice dual-display.

There will be differences between the two models, of course, as I've not painted the interior of the cross section (bulwarks).  I plan on painting the exterior to match, but I'm still debating how to copper the lower hull.  I can use the kit's paper and paint it copper or find and use some copper tape instead.  I'm tempted to do the latter if I can find tape in the proper scale width.

Andy.

Great job Andy, now maybe your fine work will keep me motivated to finish my Connie.  Love the case.

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Hi There Andy...!!!  Had to 'Chime In' again here, to compliment your work on the case...!!! Really adds to the overall enhancement

of the whole project...!!!  And fun...Too...!!!  Blessings...Kim

Current Builds in Progress: 'Novelty Build'...'DreamShip'...'Wooden Shoe' of 'Wynken, Blinkin, & Nod' - U.S.S. Constitution (Revell) ; America .

• 5 months later...

I'm just beginning the 1/96 scale plastic Constitution.  I'm already finding your log and photos extremely helpful.  This will definitely be a long term project so I want to build my display case at the beginning to keep things clean and undamaged during "down periods".  What were the l-h-w dimensions for your final display case?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response. I've been pretty busy with stuff other than my ships and I haven't been on the site either - work has been super busy. (Yes, I admit to browsing MSW at work most times!)

My case dimensions are 19" x 41" inches on the base and 30" inches high. For me, the width and length are about right, but it is a bit high. If I mounted the ship on a stand, raising it up 2 inches, it would still fit, so I would recommend a 28" inch height probably, but measure your own ship, especially if it one a base or stand.

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

Instead of using polyflex for the windows on the rear gallery, I experimented with using diluted white Elmer's glue to form the windows.

I watered it down slightly and used a toothpick to spread it across the window frame from behind.

I think it turned out pretty well, but care must be taken to avoid air bubbles and the glue must be diluted just right -- too thin and it pops, too thick and it isn't very attractive. I think I spent hours and hours on this, removing them, re-applying, etc. Pretty happy with the end result, but much more time consuming than just using the clear plastic that came with the kit. Your decision, of course.

P1030360.jpg

P1030366.jpg

I'm reading and rereading this build as I am working sporadically on the same kit.

Wondering how some diluted Elmer's over the inside surface of the poly flex might work. I'll get back to you. I like the idea of old looking glass, but not the hours and hours doing and redoing you went through. Even though it is an astounding effect!

I'm glad the log is useful to you!  I don't have time recently to look in every day, so I apologize for the delay.  I hope your idea works out.

The time I spent on the diluted glue not maybe as bad as my post indicated.  I would whip up the dilution, apply it and then wait for 20-30 minutes for it to dry.  The bad ones could be removed and then I would try again on just those.  Then, a good one would happen, so I would remove all the others I thought were ok and re-apply them.  All this was done late at night watching a movie or something - I would just pop up and look, re-apply and go back to waiting.

Still, your idea might be more efficient.  Only one way to find out.  (If you get a nice photo of the result, I would be fine if you posted it here - I'm not sure if you have your own log).

Andy.

I do but I think its in the wrong place. This is a project that spends months on the shelf when I reach a point where I have issues and get stuck. I am quite a ways from that actual step, but wanted to share here what I had thought after reading through your log yet again. I seem to think of something everytime I do. I'll certainly post a photo here when i try it and I am sure I will pick your brain again. I've been slowly reading through other logs of the Connie, even from different kits, just to get an idea on what works, and what doesn't. Three years of modelling and I am still a big rookie, but I am really trying to do the very best I can. I'f I cant look at a step and be completely satisfied with my work, I either redo it or keep working at it until I get it right. I've found that, the better I do, the more I enjoy my hobby. Thanks for all the inspiration!

• 4 months later...

Andy...Maybe you can reply if you are still replying to this post, and possibly help me identify a broken piece found in my Revell Kit 391-3800 USS Constitution .Same as your kit, but a 1975 version. Same part numbers also. I have spoken with Revell, but they are in a loss for what it is. It looks like a larger top mast cap maybe?

Your extensive experience with this kit  might bear fruit and hopefully you can shed some light on this mystery part. Once again beautiful work on Revell 0398. See attacched photo. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Surprisepost-17319-0-07462700-1420675722_thumb.jpg

Edited by surprise

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone. New to the forum and to model building. This log and other will help tremendously.I bought an old stock USS Constitution, started the build but have a quick question:on the lower deck the rope which holds the canons, are there eyebolts on the hull for the rope to tie to? Looking at my inside hull I only see these little 'nubs' of plastic sticking out? Are we supposed to tie the rope to these? Maybe they ate supposed to be 'rings' and mine ate ALL broken off. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

you are correct in what your seeing........looks dumb....huh  ;)   lots of folks thicken the inner hull walls and drill holes to install REAL eye bolts.  in reading other posts,  some use metal eye bolts........very few will actually use the plastic supplied ones.   in the past,  I have use the plastic one,  and never had a problem....just keep in mind that you can't put a lot of stress on them.   I have the United States.....and it's pretty much the same thing.  the proper name slips my mind.......breech rope........recoil rope.......best I can come up with,  without that second cup of coffee ;)

these kits are nice.........hope you enjoy!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 months later...

Hi Andy 

I have the 1/96 scale Constitution also and before I build her I will be reading and studying your 

build log on her but have one question in your photo of the supplies you have besides the paint, 

Tamiya tape and build matt what is the tall spray can for it looks lile scotch brite may I ask what

was it for thank you 

Ronald 

Hi Andy 

could you tell me the name and author of the E-book for the display case you and and your frined build for the Conny

or where I get the book

Ronald                                

• 2 months later...

No, I did not use anything photo etched.  Pretty much built the kit straight out of the box.

Andy.