best kit-supplied rigging line?

my work is not good enough to warrant buying handmade "rope" but am thinking of laying in a supply of cheap line from one of the major kit manufacturers.

of the line i have seen, some seems fuzzy almost like yarn and some is very hard and slick.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can also make your own rope walk. I have done this using Lego, scrap timber, perspex and a few screws, nuts and bolts. It may not look as flash as commercially bought rope walks but it cost me very little and does the job. There are lots of ideas that you can copy ou YouTube.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I've used the Amati and it seems nice for "store-bought" line.  Chuck makes great rope at a decent price, IMO.   I'm hoping to fire up the ropewalk for my build and see if I can get close.

As for ropewalks.. there's previously mentioned Domanoff and they Byrnes.  I think ME also does one but it's hand-powered and wood.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark.

When I first built my rope walker, I was hoping for it to be hand powered. However, if I wanted to make up a rope of a decent length it was far too slow to be practical. I now run mine with a variable speed battery operated drill. It is much easier. I've not seen the ME one but I would guess you may have the same problem with it as well.

Steve

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Steve,

I think Chuck did his rope early on using that one... and motorized it.  I could be wrong on that.... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

jbford, what is it that you are building that you don't think is good enough for nice quality rigging line?

You will definitely find that the good stuff will enhance your build and your enjoyment.

Of course, if you're rigging a 3-masted ship, it might take a good supply of line.

I turned my own rigging line early on, but I was never really very satisfied with what I could produce. I have given in to the wisdom of buying line from Chuck Passaro – it's really nice stuff!

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

all- thanks for the insights.

Clare--my most detailed model that is already in the closet is the MS Niagara. it will certainly use a bit of line and take some time.

before that, i am about to start on a AL Bluenose-II and then the MS Glad Tidings. got the Bluenose second hand and it is complete except for the line. i may use the slick Model Shipways line for both of these.

we hope to get up to PA to see the niagara firsthand and take a lot of photos

i'm trying to not plan too far out as arthritis is really slowing me down. Buying from Chuck might be the best way to go, already have some of his fine blocks and they are great.

Edited by jbford

I have to agree with Clare.  There is too much work involved rigging the ship to use a rope that is less than satisfactory.  The cost is insignificant when the work involved enters the equation.  Chuck's rope is beautiful as are his blocks.  Spend a few extra bucks and you will never be sorry.  The rope machine is an easily constructed item and a lot of fun to use.  I built mine about 10 years ago and don't know how I ever got by without it.

Good Luck and I hope the arthritis lets up.  I have the same problem with that.

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

I've used Amati and for commercially produced line it's not too bad.  Compared to Model Ship Ways junk it's spun gold, but it's not close to Chuck's Syren line.  Considering the time spent on building a model, don't skimp on line.