HMS Hood by jim_smits - Hachette partworks - 1:200

Hello all!

The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated!

Its been a busy year with wedding, honeymoon and then Christmas and a new job. Most of my free time has been absorbed in working on our garden, which is getting an extensive landscaping, and we still have stuff everywhere after well over a year in the new house!

Got round to having a tidy up of the kitchen table and made some room to work. The Hood is so large that it needs a fair amount of room!

I've started to lay down the 7" armour band using polyethylene sheet on the port side of the ship.

Also glued in place two sheets of brass etch on the super structure.

I'll try and ensure some better progress going forward.

Still looking for issue 119 btw....

IMG_4079.thumb.JPG.a80c68d2a0770688825f819a11552cbb.JPG

IMG_4078.thumb.JPG.975a6f3cb2d345b4dea9f4dd4fb4a63e.JPG

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Great to see you back Mate .. can understand the last few months you had as I too am undergoing renovations and preperations though the wedding won't be till end next year or soon after 🤗 Congrats btw !! 

Oh and Hood looks the business too

all the best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 2 weeks later...

In between filling a skip with a couple of tons of rubble and digging up the back of my garden, I have managed to get a bit more done.

The 7" armour belt has now been added to both the port and starboard sides. Hopefully I can smooth out the joins when it comes to painting and sanding.

A couple more pieces of brass etch have been added to the superstructure,  as well as construction of part of the second level. Not yet fixed in place as it will stand on a brass etch piece of decking yet to be fitted.

I think a few pieces of brass etch and castings to be added to the lower level of the super structure, and then I can think about painting the hull.

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_4092.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Jim

The first ship plans I bought were for HMS Hood when a 16 year old back in 1969. Interesting to note that when I bought the plans she had been gone for 28 years whereas I have owned them for 48 years. My how time flies. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Nice build Jim. Pity it's a Part-work, if someone made the full kit I think it would be a good seller. Lots of luck with issue #119, you've done really well getting all the rest :).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Dan, Trumpeter makes a 1/200 multimedia version.  http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/trumpeter/trumpeter200.htm

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 3 months later...

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!

Ahem. 

As a long shot I tried contacting Amati in Italy as they were responsible for the components of this partworks, and asked if they could supply components for the last issue I am missing; issue 119. 

Got a prompt response. Yes they can! Quoted the photoetch fret number and a cost. Just awaiting delivery charges after forwarding my address. 

Have been rather apathetic to this build of late (plus busy with house and garden) due to the parts I was missing. Hopefully I can get my head in order and press on again!

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Glad to hear u got sorted Mate .. I can relate to the house work .. am only just settling back into my own here... Ballahoo is in storage till a suitable temporary set-up appears (attic conversion set for mid late next year)

Am looking forward to seeing Hood back in the MSW updates .. No Pressure LOL :) 

All The Very Best Mate

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for the likes everyone. 

Just waiting for my parts to arrive from Amati. Not really the right time of year to be waiting for international post to arrive but never mind. 

In the mean time, it is back to touching up the hull and trying to sand out any imperfections. The underside, whilst not visible, needs a bit of work as it is very uneven. Might break out my disc sander and give it a quick blast. I can collect the sanding dust and mix with PVA to help fill any dips and gaps. 

Hi Eamonn! Got to love diy. Bit of minor work in the garden....:

Halfway demolished pond:

162D7920-B0F5-4402-A68F-59681A748EF9.jpeg.367700bcf106ffeefe9be25c52c9240d.jpeg

Almost gone but lots of work clearing debris and shoring up the back of the garden. 

F6BE051B-D556-42EF-B89B-53BF67E21232.jpeg.6bd333e992e89f9d099b06a338b1fe18.jpeg

Getting there and nearly ready to lay hardcore down. 

AB522685-9D4C-4A3E-8BCE-29C81271010E.jpeg.114b603fc65ba215aae4c0c2a92b9d89.jpeg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Got to say, well done to Amati!

Package arrived today with the photoetch spruce I needed. 

So by hook or by crook I have finally managed to collect everything required to finish the build. 

Phew!

605F1873-AE31-477F-9CF9-30333553D332.thumb.jpeg.32219850902c4f19fa4eccc6232c4fd9.jpeg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Good to see Jim, must be a bit of a weight off your mind.  Must ask, what was the structure pre-demolition?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

It was a raised pond. Garden split into two levels as it is in a slope, the retaining wall formed part of pond and then three other walls about a metre in height.

Here it is early in demolition:

771208E9-334A-4962-B9BD-69BCC4959DA1.thumb.jpeg.30051cc81f1445f55f6f13717e76629e.jpeg

And at the back left corner a small sunken pond also:

BCA95262-3C24-4B5F-8DA3-8FDFCB9D1A93.thumb.jpeg.b8c695c617f3b5fbb1de7e5c89013f1c.jpeg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 3 weeks later...

With a great hull takes a great amount of sanding.

Slight paraphrasing of the quote but never mind. Not a huge amount to update other than I have been applying various quantities of filler and sanding down to the wood again in order to obtain a nice smooth hull.

Given how large the hull is, this is taking a while and not particularly exciting! 

I will however soon be onto applying a proper base coat and hopefully that will look like progress. Photos will follow soon afterwards. 

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Not a huge amount to report as I was away in Belgium last weekend and have been busy at work during the week. 

Still working on smoothing the hull and now trying to remove the join between the plastic bow and wooden hull planking.

896567F3-F77A-42CC-A5FC-1B83A4EC0C38.jpeg

6AF75367-BB2A-46D9-B304-CD596BD6146D.jpeg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 11 months later...
On 1/26/2019 at 11:14 PM, cog said:

I do wonder if those still are ... I heard something about a garden avalanche near Bristol ...

No avalanches in my garden I’ll have you know. Proper engineering there....!

Still alive but busy with work, the munchkin and Christmas period. 

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

On 1/31/2019 at 10:36 PM, cog said:

You've got a long Xmas recess ........

With the munchkin in tow we had family visits well into January! Anyway, I need more rigging from CMB and then we might even move this discussion into the correct build log....! 😬

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

9 hours ago, cog said:

rigging ... will you be using EZ-line or something equal?

Standard caldercraft as I’m still working on finishing the Snake build. 

The Hood has been parked for the moment. 

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 1 year later...