Anchor Hoy by Maurys - POF Harbor craft c. 1825 -- 1:48 - Finished

Mostly finished.  A few more attempts at laying down the anchor cables and anything else anyone sees in the pictures that I may have missed...

AH_5.thumb.JPG.71a4af30917c7cd76cabde7976e3d60d.JPG

AH_13.thumb.JPG.bcdd877be9df70d84390bec6980fc518.JPG

AH_28.thumb.JPG.985e783ddc3a992d3377e6b475c54deb.JPG

AH_35.thumb.JPG.9c7bd7887ead14d76b57c59b3d5a8b87.JPG

AH_40.thumb.JPG.ebaef230904c2475fcad61d71c11c28f.JPG

AH_38.thumb.JPG.5faa7d215ab58c1627eee29b41128931.JPG

AH_27.thumb.JPG.27e96f2c6d84b98d28f23bad0a810f8e.JPG

Thanks for all the support and comments along the way.

Maury

All I can see missing is a nice nameplate mounted on the baseboard, Maury. Otherwise, it's really nice to see a lesser-modelled subject. Congrats on a job well done.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks all,  A display case seems to be an issue with some.  I believe the glass  (if you use glass) is the biggest issue and the biggest cost.  The case as shown cost about $45 in materials and $250 for the glass. All told, it took a week to build (mostly waiting on glue and stain to dry).  After spending 2 + years doing a model, protect and display it properly.

AH_Case.thumb.JPG.bb0770e578581d4bb94ef0288b137891.JPG

Maury

Congratulations Maury!  Very interesting build to follow and everything looks great. I didn't realize that it actually took you 2 1/2 years to finish. Any ideas as to where you are going from here?

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Druxey & Mike,

I like merchant ships.  American, 1750 -1850 + /-,  approx. 50 - 60 feet long.   I don't see anyone doing anything with a centerboard and the mechanism to raise and lower it would be interesting.  Before doing the hoy, I searched out some Granite sloops.  Plenty of info. on the Albert Baldwin but she was about 90'...too big for my avail. space and preferred scale.  If anyone knows of something that fits, PLEASE let me know.

Maury

Edited by Maurys

Not American, but the right era and size: search Schank sliding keel on the RMG web site under 'Collections'. There are several pages of plans of vessels as well as the raising/lowering mechanisms. An example is here:

image.thumb.png.677f661a4376dabef00db29fd9c7d846.png

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Very nicely finished and displayed model Maury; she looks great.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Congratulations on sweet build, Maury  And she has a lovely home to sit in.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations on finishing this very interesting build.  Looking forward to your next project.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Nicely done, Maury.  Congrats on finishing a fine model.

Ed

Nice work Maury!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Congratulations Maury, a very interesting model and nicely displayed as well. Glad to see that you used glass for the case. It is far superior to plex in my view, no static or scratches to deal with.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.