HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - Swan class 1:48 scale - David Antscherl practium

First of all my frame plan ZAZ 4691 A aft does not show a " cast" at the top.

My gut feels to follow the book and not the plan in this case? Your comment.

I am a bit confused on the frames sent to me via email. Greg Can you see if i have it right

There are 11 frames left. I have use the "@" to depict the center. Starting at the back,

- 1 aft. floor

Spacers

-1 fore. crosschock

-1B , floor, top timber shifts aft.

-1A , crosschock,

-@1 fore. Floor, scarf joint

Spacers

-@ center, crosschock

Spacers

-@A, floor

-A aft., crosschock, maybe cast at the top?

-A fore. floor

-B aft., crosschock

Spacers

-B fore., floor

Another wonderful video, Kevin. Looks like adding those sill mortises after the frames are raised is working out for you. A very Happy and Healthy New Year to you and we are looking forward to next years videos.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for sharing the videos of your build. They are a great help.

I wish you and your family a Mery Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin! As always - a huge thank You for a great video !    By the way, a good friend of mine built a Piper in 1:1 scale! In this plane there was my very small contribution...

The plane you see in the shop is a 1/3 cub kit from Yellow aircraft. She flys beautifully.. The build was actually started by a friend who got cancer and eventually died and i furfilled a promise to him to complete the build for him.

Congratulations, Kenny, on reaching this milestone. You've done a fantastic job! I hope you won;t be disappointed to know I had to abandon my first effort after a year due to cumulative and rookie errors and even David's first POF model (although it looked pretty damned good to me) had some significant errors.  Look forward to your continuing video series.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Congratulations, Kenny, on reaching this milestone. You've done a fantastic job! I hope you won;t be disappointed to know I had to abandon my first effort after a year due to cumulative and rookie errors and even David's first POF model (although it looked pretty damned good to me) had some significant errors. Look forward to your continuing video series.

i have to tell you i have been to the wall a few times and did get discouraged. But i am a stubborn SOB and have spent most of my life dusting myself off and getting back on track. This build is no different. I still have to take out two frames which i will do next week. This group of modelers deserves a clap on the back, because it is a word here and there that kept me going.

Keep well.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Kenny

Congrats for reaching this first milestone of your project. I think you have to be very proud about your model

Regards Christian

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Kevin.

Some very useful tips in every one one of your videos.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

An excellent video of advice for folks contemplating a fully framed model. You are a very honest model-maker, Kevin! I appreciate you sharing your experience with everyone.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Excellent video, Kenny.  I decided not to sand the tops of the frames initially to prevent them from getting banged up.  I still have not sanded down the tops on the side that is to be left unplanked.  On the planked side I cut off the timberheads and will install them separately.  For me, it would be too difficult to cut the openings in the rail accurately enough if I left them in place.  Dan did the same thing with Vulture, I think.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Very good video, Kenny. Your hints and -sorry to say- your small inaccuracies are very helpful for me, to avoid the same mistakes. Normally a model maker doesn't like to show these details. But these are the points which will help others.

Thanks for sharing

Regards Christian

Thanks for all ypur frank comments. The purpose of doing the video was to be instructive and once you admit to one mistake the other 100 are easy to admit to.

Just thinking ahead. I have no idea what the figuerhead on the Thorn was. Any though on how i should try to identify the figuer head? Should i just leave it out?

Kevin

It's annoying that the draughtsman didn't draw the carved works! One would be fairly safe with either a standard lion or, perhaps, a classical soldier holding a pointy sword.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Kevin One of the gems of this video is the sound of the ocean at the end, that's not to take away from the great commentary of your trials and tribulations of the explanations of your building.

Kudos to you for your honesty regarding the areas that caused you the most problems.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Don't forget the sea birds calling, as well.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

We should make your log mandatory viewing for anyone who purchases our plans Kevin. Your videos have been a joy to watch and I hope you continue them. I really chuckle when I see you building in shorts, barefoot and hear rain in the background. Makes me want to hop on a plane...

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752