HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - Swan class 1:48 scale - David Antscherl practium

I had an unfortunate incident last week travelling from Tobago back to Trinidad in a friends boat. We stuffed the bow through a wave and the entire boat got flooded. Unfortunately my iPad got wet and is now dead. I lost the files that I had taken so will be waiting  on the launch of the new iPad from apple this month before restarting  the build.

May I humbly suggest that, if in a wet-boat, your electronic devices should be protected with a plastic bag? And have an external back-up. My wife's hard drive crashed a few months ago, but everything was saved on our Time Capsule. It was well worth the investment. I'm sorry that you had this happen, Kevin.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I'm sorry to hear about your iPad. Is there an Apple store near you or a repair facility?   They can probably open it, dry it, clean out the salt and hopefully get it operational again.

Indeed... an external back up device (and NOT the cloud) is highly recommended.   Disconnect until ready to do a backup as the bad guys out there will nail your connected backup if they get a chance.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

It was in a water proof camera bag, in a water proof cabin. Unfortunately neither of them turned out to be very water proof. I also lost a DSL camera and my friend lost his laptop. I suppose i was lucky as the boat could have sunk twice and we were 20 miles out to sea when it happened. in terms of back up i do subscribe to iCloud service and some of the footage seems to be there, its just impossible to work on it on the iPhone. When i get the new iPad well see. in the mean time i will just clean up the model as i have a number of small things i can do.

• 1 month later...

I have had a bad month electronically. Following the swimming lessons of my ipad, my imac died a fatal death. So i am in computer rehab trying to come to terms with surfing the net on an iPhone. Not good.

Just got my new ipad pro set up and the new camera and built in video flash is great. I also was able to recover the files off the cloud so should be able to start post in in the near future. I actually took a break from modeling, married my last daughter so am ready to get going again.

Quite the month, Kevin! My condolences. Try not to take your electronics to sea again, eh? Hopefully you'll be up and running again soon. I use a Mac Time Capsule as external back-up. As two computers can use it, it came in very useful when my wife's iMac hard drive quit. It was easy for her to download all her files on her new iMac Pro. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Autsch!

I hope that now everything works well again. I got last year a MacBook Air. Since this day I use my old PC only if I am drawing with Autocad.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

video 2?

where would I find that?

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Greg

i had to edit the video as some how i decided to slide the fixed blocks down between the ribs instead of following the written instruction of pushing it through the hull. Humm, age is a bitch. Anyway i have corrected the video and the blocks now slide in. I assume they had a pin that would hold the entire block in place to prevent everything from sliding out when under load?

You are more or less correct, Kevin. Fixed blocks had 'ears' the thickness of the inner planking. These were wide enough to take bolts. These bolts could be withdrawn and the block pulled inboard for repair.

Edited by druxey

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant, Kenny.  As you learned, it is very difficult for most of us to shape those timberheads on the model. I can also recall ruining several of them by screwing up the last cut. Assembly line style, as you have done, is the way to go. Extras are always a great idea as recreating the setups a month down the road are virtually impossible. I ruined one fixed block on Speedwell and re-creating it a year later to match the others is a royal pain!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Kevin,

I just completed watching all your videos on Vimeo and I am now up to date with your latest video on the Thorne.   I justed wanted to say thank you for such an informative series.   You are an extremely accomplished modeler and a great teacher.   As a novice myself, I am picking up many new techniques from you.   I also have a Proxxon Pen Sander on its way to my shop 😊.    I am anxiously awaiting your next video in the series!

Bill B.

Currently modeling the Sultana following the Passaro Practicum.  

Thank you for your kind comments Bill. The sole purpose of my videos is to help other modelers and encourage new modelers to take the plung. My modeling skills continue to improve as I take the constant plung into the unknown. Never ceases to amaze  me that things that seemed so impossible, end up being so  simple when we learn just how to make it.   The Sultana is a great model that I know that you will enjoy building. Stick to it.

Best regards

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon Kevin.

I must say I thoroughly enjoy your videos.

Watching your latest video you show that you use your caliper to scribe lines and then darken them with a pencil to highlight them.

That is exactly how I have been marking the various/varying thicknesses (head and foot) on my aft cant frames!  I thought I was the only one to do this.... now I am wondering if I learnt this from an earlier video of yours!

Thank you for a wonderful series of how to videos.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Nice job on those difficult pieces, Kevin. Did you try making the hooked scarph joints using the mill? They come out pretty sweet that way.

I can't recall when I added the filler pieces between the floors of the frames but, in retrospect, it would have been easier before adding the keelson. Much easier to flush them with the inside of the hull before installing it. Certainly you should add them (if you are including them) before adding the limber strakes and other internal stiffeners. For the life of me I can't find where David mentions them in Volume 1 of TFFM but Ben covered them nicely in his log. I did not leave expansion gaps as he did and, in checking my model just now, no gaps have appeared in ten + years. But my model was constructed in a very stable temperature and humidity environment (underground basement). Sounds like you get a lot of rain there (love your videos) so perhaps Ben's method of leaving some of the fillers out would be appropriate for you.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hi Greg

we have huge swings in Humidity which is why i like to use epoxy when ever possible. Having said that i have not had any problems with the 9 models i have built so far.  I feel that it is because i dry my wood for at least two years before using. 

I had not planned to fill the bottom space between the frames. If you feel it is essential i can still do this with difficulty. My memory of Davids view was that this was optional so i did not plan to add the fillers pieces as the entire model will be planked. His referance is book 1 page 164 3.26.  Perhaps what made me not want to do this is that for whatever reason the spaces between the frames were all over the place. It sould have been a real pain. Ill go back and look at Bens post. Assuming that i do not add them i will continue to build the inner limber stakes, the mast steps hooks and the crutch.  Then i plan to go to the wale and plank up to the deck. I do not plan to install rib bands as they would be tempory at best.