Kevin Kenny

HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - Swan class 1:48 scale - David Antscherl practium

I had an unfortunate incident last week travelling from Tobago back to Trinidad in a friends boat. We stuffed the bow through a wave and the entire boat got flooded. Unfortunately my iPad got wet and is now dead. I lost the files that I had taken so will be waiting  on the launch of the new iPad from apple this month before restarting  the build.

May I humbly suggest that, if in a wet-boat, your electronic devices should be protected with a plastic bag? And have an external back-up. My wife's hard drive crashed a few months ago, but everything was saved on our Time Capsule. It was well worth the investment. I'm sorry that you had this happen, Kevin.

I'm sorry to hear about your iPad. Is there an Apple store near you or a repair facility?   They can probably open it, dry it, clean out the salt and hopefully get it operational again.

Indeed... an external back up device (and NOT the cloud) is highly recommended.   Disconnect until ready to do a backup as the bad guys out there will nail your connected backup if they get a chance.  

It was in a water proof camera bag, in a water proof cabin. Unfortunately neither of them turned out to be very water proof. I also lost a DSL camera and my friend lost his laptop. I suppose i was lucky as the boat could have sunk twice and we were 20 miles out to sea when it happened. in terms of back up i do subscribe to iCloud service and some of the footage seems to be there, its just impossible to work on it on the iPhone. When i get the new iPad well see. in the mean time i will just clean up the model as i have a number of small things i can do.

I have had a bad month electronically. Following the swimming lessons of my ipad, my imac died a fatal death. So i am in computer rehab trying to come to terms with surfing the net on an iPhone. Not good.

Just got my new ipad pro set up and the new camera and built in video flash is great. I also was able to recover the files off the cloud so should be able to start post in in the near future. I actually took a break from modeling, married my last daughter so am ready to get going again.

Quite the month, Kevin! My condolences. Try not to take your electronics to sea again, eh? Hopefully you'll be up and running again soon. I use a Mac Time Capsule as external back-up. As two computers can use it, it came in very useful when my wife's iMac hard drive quit. It was easy for her to download all her files on her new iMac Pro. 

To celebrate the Americas cup i have decided to build a model of the America. I will be posting my video on this build in due course . I am building the Constructo kit and a scratch build version at the same time. I needed a break from the Swan.

I have just posted another video on the America build which detail my attempt to make gratings. I would be interested in any feedback. It is included in video 2.

Very nice job, Kevin. Rest assured I didn’t get the block correct on my first try either!

Greg

i had to edit the video as some how i decided to slide the fixed blocks down between the ribs instead of following the written instruction of pushing it through the hull. Humm, age is a bitch. Anyway i have corrected the video and the blocks now slide in. I assume they had a pin that would hold the entire block in place to prevent everything from sliding out when under load?

You are more or less correct, Kevin. Fixed blocks had 'ears' the thickness of the inner planking. These were wide enough to take bolts. These bolts could be withdrawn and the block pulled inboard for repair.

Edited by druxey

Brilliant, Kenny.  As you learned, it is very difficult for most of us to shape those timberheads on the model. I can also recall ruining several of them by screwing up the last cut. Assembly line style, as you have done, is the way to go. Extras are always a great idea as recreating the setups a month down the road are virtually impossible. I ruined one fixed block on Speedwell and re-creating it a year later to match the others is a royal pain!

Kevin,

I just completed watching all your videos on Vimeo and I am now up to date with your latest video on the Thorne.   I justed wanted to say thank you for such an informative series.   You are an extremely accomplished modeler and a great teacher.   As a novice myself, I am picking up many new techniques from you.   I also have a Proxxon Pen Sander on its way to my shop 😊.    I am anxiously awaiting your next video in the series!

Bill B.

Currently modeling the Sultana following the Passaro Practicum.  

Thank you for your kind comments Bill. The sole purpose of my videos is to help other modelers and encourage new modelers to take the plung. My modeling skills continue to improve as I take the constant plung into the unknown. Never ceases to amaze  me that things that seemed so impossible, end up being so  simple when we learn just how to make it.   The Sultana is a great model that I know that you will enjoy building. Stick to it.

Best regards

Kevin