Dunbrody Irish Famine Ship by Mahuna - 1:48 Cross Section - Finished

... and the pine tree paper air freshener cutouts dangling from a string overhead  :D 

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

The emigrants bunked nearest the loo doors must have had an even rawer deal than the others! I'll never complain if I'm seated close to the lavatories on a plane again....

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Frank.

Totally stunning.

Very nice attention to detail.

Regards Antony.

Thanks Antony 

Hi Frank

Gotta love your work!

Here in Australia, we have many names for it - loo, dunny, a thunder-box; to name a few. Whatever it is that you call it, yours is very impressive.

Now, all that's missing is the queue to use it!

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick.  Yeah, very much like our 'outhouse'.  My wife said I should put a half-moon symbol on the doors.

... and the pine tree paper air freshener cutouts dangling from a string overhead  :D 

..and maybe a corn cob nearby?

The emigrants bunked nearest the loo doors must have had an even rawer deal than the others! I'll never complain if I'm seated close to the lavatories on a plane again....

By the end of the journey the whole deck must have reeked.  Lots of folks probably never made it to the loo.

Beautiful work, as always.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Part 37 – Mast Partners and Beams, Tables and Benches, Viewing Ports

It has been a fairly productive few days on Dunbrody.

Main Deck Beams

First, I made the mast partners and prepped the main deck beams, starting by notching the two beams that have the mast partner attached.

post-331-0-92706200-1471833962_thumb.jpg

The two pieces of the mast partners were fabricated and fit in place.

post-331-0-49451200-1471833965_thumb.jpg

The assembly was checked against the main mast.

post-331-0-99403400-1471833969_thumb.jpg

Then the beams for the side of the main hatch were joined to notches in the beams fore and aft of the hatch.

post-331-0-67029900-1471833976_thumb.jpg

The beams for the forward hatch were then prepared.

post-331-0-51043900-1471833984_thumb.jpg

All main beams are now ready for installation.

post-331-0-60464700-1471833991_thumb.jpg

Tables and Benches

Two large tables and accompanying benches were provided for the emigrants, as in this photo from the replica ship.

post-331-0-12216500-1471833996_thumb.jpg

The table seems to be built around a pillar or stanchion, but the drawing from the Colin Mudie book shows the tables as free-standing (probably bolted or nailed to the deck).  My assumption is that the replica ship’s tables are a permanent installation, whereas the actual ship had tables and benches that were for one voyage only and were discarded at the end of the voyage, similar to the sleeping platforms and lavatories.  The tables for the model are ‘free-standing’, and measure 8’x36”.  The benches are 6’x12”.

The table top was made using a jig similar to the jigs for the lavatory walls.  The table legs were also made in a jig – the difference is that the jig for the legs was designed so that the length of the legs was set by the edge of the jig.

post-331-0-90852000-1471834530_thumb.jpg

The legs were sanded to size while still in the jig

post-331-0-26171600-1471834536_thumb.jpg

When the legs are removed from the jig they are ready for installation.

post-331-0-76952000-1471834540_thumb.jpg

A square block held the legs in place as the glue set.

post-331-0-19670300-1471834545_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-98681100-1471834551_thumb.jpg

Feet and longitudinal braces were added to the table.

post-331-0-20863900-1471834556_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-13823500-1471834075_thumb.jpg

The tables were tested on the ship.  The tables sit on the hatches, and are placed as far from the hold companionway as possible.

post-331-0-26155200-1471834591_thumb.jpg

The seats for the benches were also built using a jig. 

post-331-0-93340300-1471834599_thumb.jpg

The legs for  the benches, however, were made from a single piece.  8 pieces of stock were glued together using Ambroid glue.  The drawing for the bench legs was glued to this stack, and the leg design was rough cut on the scroll saw and then finished with files.  The stack of legs was then separated in a short bath of acetone.

post-331-0-35483900-1471834595_thumb.jpg

A longitudinal brace strengthens the bench legs.

post-331-0-55040000-1471834605_thumb.jpg

The tables and benches are completed and ready for installation.

post-331-0-56541300-1471834610_thumb.jpg

Viewing Ports

Viewing ports are needed on the starboard side of the model, and it made sense to cut these ports out before any of the details were attached to the Accommodation Deck.

This was the first time the model was removed from the building board.

I was concerned about cutting into the side of the hull – any mistake could be disastrous.  I glued together some of the old discarded frames from the scrap heap so that there was something to practice on.

post-331-0-24009400-1471834147_thumb.jpg

I tried several methods of cutting the frames, and wound up using a variety of tools on the ports.

post-331-0-39309000-1471834177_thumb.jpg

The cuts were started (where there was enough room) using a diamond cutting wheel on the rotary tool.  The cuts were finished with two small saws – a keyhole saw and a small X-Acto saw.  Final shaping was done with a #00 needle file and a larger  #1Grobet file.

Masking tape was used to lay out the lines for the ports, and when I was satisfied with the lay of these lines I marked the frames to be cut with the line and with a large X.

post-331-0-67025700-1471834162_thumb.jpg

The central portion of the Hold viewing port was the largest number of adjacent frames to be cut, so this seemed like a good place to start.

post-331-0-04568400-1471834191_thumb.jpg

The outside Hold viewing ports were then cut,

post-331-0-08864400-1471834199_thumb.jpg

and then the Accommodation Deck ports were cut.

I positioned the fittings for the Accommodation Deck to see the effect of the viewing ports.

post-331-0-94538100-1471834210_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-04789000-1471834220_thumb.jpg

There will be a little more filing required for the finish of the ports, but overall I’m satisfied with the results.

The next work will consist of applying finish to the Accommodation Deck and its fixtures, building and installing the ladders for the Hold companionways, along with safety railings around the companionway openings, and then the installation of the main deck beams.

Thanks everyone!

Hi Frank.

I must sound like a broken record because I keep saying the same thing, but I just love your work. There's something about the way you approach your tasks, the precision, the jigs that you use and the forethought that you put into it that's really satisfying.

Ye gads! Were you/are you an engineer by trade, by any chance? Such methodical thinking would seem to be a key characteristic of someone in that field of work.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Well done, Frank!

Thanks Greg!

That cutoff process looks scary, but seems like you did it without any mistakes! Looks great!

Thanks Mike.  Thinking about it was the scariest part.  There were a few little slips that nicked adjacent frames, but overall it went well.

Hi Frank.

I must sound like a broken record because I keep saying the same thing, but I just love your work. There's something about the way you approach your tasks, the precision, the jigs that you use and the forethought that you put into it that's really satisfying.

Ye gads! Were you/are you an engineer by trade, by any chance? Such methodical thinking would seem to be a key characteristic of someone in that field of work.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick - thanks.  I started out as a computer programmer, so I guess in a way I was an engineer.  Now, if I had your skills I'd put some plates and cups on those little tables!

Well done, Frank. I'm sure that cutting those apertures was a bit nerve-wracking! The furniture must have been fixed to the deck somehow, as otherwise in rough conditions....

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thinking about it was the scariest part.  There were a few little slips that nicked adjacent frames, but overall it went well.

I was wrapping both adjacent frames with multiple layers of the masking tape to protect it when cutting (gunports, in my case). It took a lot of time, but was working efficiently enough, because the blade slipped a few times.

Well done, Frank. I'm sure that cutting those apertures was a bit nerve-wracking! The furniture must have been fixed to the deck somehow, as otherwise in rough conditions....

Thanks Druxey.  Yes, it was a nervous day in the shop, and I'm glad that step is done.  I agree on the furniture - it must have been secured in place for the trip.  But when you consider that the furniture was probably discarded at the end of the trip (or at least taken down and put in the hold) the fastenings were probably pretty basic.

Great progress Frank!  As always, looks great, really looking forward to seeing it again in person, hopefully next month.

Thanks Brian.  I've been thinking of scheduling our next meeting - I'll be sending out an email today or tomorrow.

I was wrapping both adjacent frames with multiple layers of the masking tape to protect it when cutting (gunports, in my case). It took a lot of time, but was working efficiently enough, because the blade slipped a few times.

Good idea Mike - it probably would have helped.

Wow, such fast, yet beautiful and accurate work.  Seven days ago you show us a bucket, and just look at all you've done since.  Wow.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks Bob.  I'm spending lots of time in the shop - trying to get Dunbrody ready for the NRG Conference in San Diego, so I have a self-imposed deadline.

I just found this build. Man am I glad I did, this is unbelievable, the work, detail and the tools and jigs are all excellent. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Thanks Wacko (Joe?) - glad you like it.

Part 38 – Finishing the Accommodation Deck, Ladders

The outside of the frames needed a lot of sanding to clean up excess glue and for fairing the frames - especially on the port side, which will be fully planked.  It made sense to do this sanding before any more details were installed, since that would make it harder to clean out the sanding dust.  And since I had Dunbrody off the building board for cutting the view ports, I decided this was the best time to get this sanding out of the way.  I spent about a day on the sanding, but didn’t take any pictures.

Next up was applying a finish to the Accommodation Deck and the furniture that was just built – the lavatories, tables, and chairs.  I used wipe-on poly for the finish.  Again – no photos, since there’s really nothing to show on any of the work that was done.

The furniture for the Accommodation Deck – sleeping platforms, lavatories, tables, and benches – will need to be pinned to the deck for security.  Very thin piano wire - .014 thickness – was used since some of the items were extremely small.  The piano wire stays straight even though it’s very thin – this made it a good material for pins.

The pinning work started by making starter holes with a very fine awl.  (This awl is actually a fly-tying bodkin, but serves very well when a very small awl is needed)

post-331-0-02057200-1472095578_thumb.jpg

A #78 drill was used to make the holes.  The rotary tool with a variable-speed foot pedal allowed very controlled and accurate drilling in these tiny objects.

post-331-0-23149600-1472095589_thumb.jpg

The pins were glued into the holes with epoxy.

post-331-0-61167600-1472095600_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-80061600-1472095732_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-79794300-1472095773_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-16257000-1472095791_thumb.jpg

The following photo shows all of the furniture temporarily pinned to the deck. 

post-331-0-53033500-1472095849_thumb.jpg

The two ladders to the Hold were the next items to be built.  Unfortunately, planning the installation of the ladders pointed out a serious problem.

Those members who participated in my topic on Planning the Dunbrody Sectional Model may recall that there were some questions about an Orlop Deck in the ship.  The construction plans showed an Orlop Deck, but the details were very sketchy.  The reference material I’ve been using for Dunbrody did not indicate any orlop decks in use for the freighters and packets built at the same time Dunbrody was built.  I decided NOT to include the orlop deck. 

Not including an orlop deck was a mistake, since without an orlop deck Dunbrody’s hold ladders would sit right on the limber strake.  To work around this, small platforms were installed for the ladders to land on.

post-331-0-16674700-1472095879_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-48009100-1472095901_thumb.jpg

The stringers for Dunbrody’s hold ladders are 9 inches wide and 3 inches thick.  The treads are 2 inches thick, and are set 9 inches apart.  The ladders are set at an angle of 14 degrees.

The milling machine was used to cut the slots for the stringers.  Since the actual size of the treads is .0417 inches, a miniature cutter that measured .042 inch diameter was used to cut the slots.

The workpiece was held in a circular tooling plate on the rotary table.  The table was set at 14 degrees and the slots were cut.

post-331-0-11798300-1472095940_thumb.jpg

A workpiece that provided enough room for several stringers was used.

post-331-0-01567200-1472095964_thumb.jpg

After the milling, a stringer was parted off.

post-331-0-03625700-1472095991_thumb.jpg

The same process was used for the stringer for the opposite side of the ladder.

post-331-0-41004100-1472096015_thumb.jpg

The bottom slot was used as the base of the ladder.  First the stringer was cut at this slot, removing any excess material.

post-331-0-52305900-1472096052_thumb.jpg

The base of the ladder was then sanded to the top of the slot on the disk sander.

post-331-0-65378000-1472096070_thumb.jpg

A square was used to mark off the top part of the stringer that will rest against the companionway opening.

post-331-0-68307500-1472096099_thumb.jpg

The top and bottom rungs were glued in place first.

post-331-0-57292500-1472096122_thumb.jpg

Then it was a simple matter of sliding the rest of the treads into the grooves.  The top of the ladder is flush with the deck, so that the first tread is the same distance from the deck as between treads.

post-331-0-40550300-1472096145_thumb.jpg

The first ladder was completed and tested in place.

post-331-0-70385800-1472096175_thumb.jpg

When both ladders were built, they were then sanded and a poly finish was applied.  Then the ladders were installed in the hold.

post-331-0-37903900-1472096206_thumb.jpg

A safety railing is needed around each of these ladders, as shown in these photos of the replica Dunbrody.  This will be the topic for the next post.

post-331-0-26177300-1472096223.jpg

post-331-0-19121600-1472096235_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone

Hi Frank

Very nice! Dare I say, not long to go?

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick.  It would be nice to think so, but there's still the main deck to build, including hatchways, companionways, railings, etc, etc.  Not to mention exterior planking on the port side, and I still need to design and build the display stand (hopefully a simulated launching ways).   :(

Hi Frank

Perhaps I jumped the gun, but, I'm sure as hell enjoying following Dunbrody's journey.  A dash of precision, a large pinch of craftsmanship, and a dollop of history along the way... watching Dunbrody come to life has been very enjoyable.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to the next update.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234