Dunbrody Irish Famine Ship by Mahuna - 1:48 Cross Section - Finished

What a wonderful job you did on this model Frank. That capstan is artistry - nothing less. Thanks for the detailed build log. I learned a lot.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

What a wonderful job you did on this model Frank. That capstan is artistry - nothing less. Thanks for the detailed build log. I learned a lot.

Gary

Thanks, Gary.  Your work on the salmon wherry is superb, and I'm glad you enjoyed the log for the Dunbrody build.  

What a fantastic job on the capstan Frank, I am glad that I am not the only one who adds all sorts of stuff to the scrap box while making the final piece.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Wow.  Lots to look at in that last post.  Great work, Frank.

Ed

What a fantastic job on the capstan Frank, I am glad that I am not the only one who adds all sorts of stuff to the scrap box while making the final piece.

Michael

Thanks Michael.  I don't run out of kindling for the fire pit - that's for sure!

Congratulations on completing your wonderful Dunbrody, Frank.

What a tremendous achievement. Sheer precision coupled with a huge dollop of passion and talent, have all come together masterfully.

Seriously well done!

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick.  This was a very interesting and enjoyable project.  I learned a lot about how these ships were constructed, and also learned a great deal about modeling.

Wow.  Lots to look at in that last post.  Great work, Frank.

Ed

Thanks Ed.  The capstan looks simple, but the construction sequence became quite complex.

Whew! Building that capstan is quite the saga! Well done, Frank.

Thanks Druxey.  Yup, it was a pretty long process, but I'm happy with the results.

Thanks for posting the step-by-step process for the capstan.  Fantastic work.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Beautiful companion ways Frank. And the capstan and bollards are perfect!! I enjoyed your step by step description of how you made them.

Thanks, Glenn.  Good thing I didn't describe all of my mistakes - it would have tripled the size of the build log!

Your millwork is superb, Frank. As is your whole build of the Dunbrody. Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Congratulations on the finish line, Frank.   Beautiful work and a practicum to boot.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You are done, Frank? I'm disappointed - no more progress reports. Anyway, congratulations on an excellent result.

Hi Druxey - yes, finally finished.  I plan to start a new build log during January.  In the meantime, here are some photos of my completed Dunbrody model.

post-331-0-87423000-1481576676_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-98696200-1481576696_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-92896800-1481576716_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-26884100-1481576741_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-48806300-1481576760_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-22102700-1481576782_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-09704600-1481576805_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-72059500-1481576830_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-80843500-1481576870_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-65822600-1481576898_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-54804300-1481576918_thumb.jpg

Wonderful work,very very nice,bravissimo.

Thanks Albert.

Great camera shots Frank. What an impressive work !!

Thanks Dan.  It feels good to be finished - now on to the next one!  See you soon.

Very nice shots of your beautiful completed Dunbrody. Happy to hear your planning a new build log start for January. Whatever the project - save me a front row seat.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

You've not only built a fine model, but you've told us a fine story of Irish immigration.  Well done on both 'counts.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Eeeh, what? Already done? So quick?  :huh:

Your productivity is incredible, especially combined with the highest quality and careful planning and research. Bravo!

Looking forward for the next project ;)

congratz Frank on a fine looking model!    really nice craftsmanship.....very well done!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch