Dunbrody Irish Famine Ship by Mahuna - 1:48 Cross Section - Finished

Fantastic work Frank.  I love that you made the companionway hatches functional, simply amazing job.

Thanks for dropping me the note to kick me into starting to catch up here from my vacation!

You've not only built a fine model, but you've told us a fine story of Irish immigration.  Well done on both 'counts.

Bob

Thanks Bob.  I've known about the Irish potato famine for quite a while, but being on the Dunbrody really brought it home to me - so building the model was special for me.

Bravo! Great work.

Thanks Rich - looking forward to showing to you when we meet in January.

Eeeh, what? Already done? So quick?  :huh:

Your productivity is incredible, especially combined with the highest quality and careful planning and research. Bravo!

Looking forward for the next project ;)

Thanks Mike.  I was able to put a lot of work into the model in a short time.  The next project will be somewhat different, but I'm looking forward to it.

congratz Frank on a fine looking model!    really nice craftsmanship.....very well done!   :)

Thanks Popeye!

Fantastic work Frank.  I love that you made the companionway hatches functional, simply amazing job.

Thanks for dropping me the note to kick me into starting to catch up here from my vacation!

Thanks Brian.  The time you and I spent looking at the companion on the Star helped me figure it out.

Now we all want to see you get some more work in on your current modeling projects!  See you in January.

Thanks Brian.  The time you and I spent looking at the companion on the Star helped me figure it out.

Now we all want to see you get some more work in on your current modeling projects!  See you in January.

I finished the little robot last week.  :)

Hi Frank

Can you pls refresh my memory as to what your next project is?

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick.  I hadn't said yet what my next project would be - but my plan is to build the Skipjack Kathryn, based on the HAER drawings.  I'm in the planning stage now, and won't be ready to cut any wood for a few weeks.

post-331-0-41482700-1481729990_thumb.jpg

Kathryn has been designated as a National Historic Landmark, and is unique in its design.  I plan to include all of the interior construction as shown in the HAER drawings.  She's the oldest of the true skipjacks, built for the oyster trade.

nice!   looking forward to it  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

That skipjack will make a very pretty model.

I agree, Tom.  I love the simplicity and function of the Skipjacks.

Hi Frank

That looks like a fun build for sure.

I'm in!

Cheers

Patrick

Great, Patrick.  I'll save you a seat.

nice!   looking forward to it   ;)

Me too, Popeye.

Hopefully the new model will have a bow and stern. It will, won't it, Frank?

LOL!!  Yes, Druxey - a bow and a stern, and a push boat, and a full rig!  I don't think I'll be able to make scale oyster shells, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I fell behind lately in following your build log, Frank.  Apologies.  Almost missed the finale.  You've done a beautiful job with this. Every detail is sharp and well thought out - and your finished already.  A part of me is very envious.  I'm going into my fourth year on YA.  I look forward to your next.

All the best,

Ed

Thanks Ed.  The next model will include lots of things I haven't tackled before, so I'm trying to get some of those nailed down before I actually start the build.  Your YA book will be a great help, even though the Skipjack is a lot more basic than your clipper.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely beautiful work Frank.
Congratulations on a fine job.  
I've never worked up the courage to do a POF model.
Really enjoyed catching up on this amazing build log.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

2 minutes ago, SawdustDave said:

Absolutely beautiful work Frank.
Congratulations on a fine job.  
I've never worked up the courage to do a POF model.
Really enjoyed catching up on this amazing build log.

Dave

Thanks Dave.  This was a fun build, and I'll be starting my next build log i(the Kathryn) n the next few days.  

Frank, somehow I missed commenting on the finale.  It came upon us so fast.  A beautiful result showing what skill and meticulous attention to detail can do - to say nothing of the thoughtful process development.  Great work, an example for us all.

Ed

looking forward to the skipjack build.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

Love the project!  My great grandparents were from County Mayo, Ireland, and sailed from Liverpool to New Orleans in 1848 to escape the Great Hunger.  Are you creating a CAD model of the ship?  If so, would it be something you would be selling for those who would like to 3D print a model?

Best wishes,

David Maxwell

10 minutes ago, Bojeta said:

Hello,

Love the project!  My great grandparents were from County Mayo, Ireland, and sailed from Liverpool to New Orleans in 1848 to escape the Great Hunger.  Are you creating a CAD model of the ship?  If so, would it be something you would be selling for those who would like to 3D print a model?

Best wishes,

David Maxwell

Hi David - thanks for looking in, I enjoyed this build.  I used 2D CAD to develop the framing and some other components, but I don't do any 3D CAD work.  Sorry to disappoint.  By the way, County Mayo (especially the town of Westport) is one of my favorite areas in Ireland.