Fregatte Berlin by maggsl_01 - FINISHED - Corel - 1:40

Hello again

I have finished the hull so far. The decorations are fixed - and hopefully will keep fixed... - all parts are on their place. Only the steps and gunport lids are still missing and I will do this after the rigging. Otherwise it would be too difficult to care for this parts. Next is to build the masts, but as mentioned before I am not sure to start this now. Probably I will wait until autumn when the summer fades away. However, the masts are to been shapen (is this correct grammar??) from square-shapened timber. A challenge :) But an intersting one. If all goes wrong I can buy some rods and taper them to the right shape.

Some pics show the status in which the Fregatte Berlin is at this moment. Enjoy them :)

Cheerio my fellow mates and friends

berlin_141.jpg

berlin_142.jpg

berlin_143.jpg

berlin_144.jpg

berlin_145.jpg

berlin_146.jpg

berlin_147.jpg

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello friends and mates,

a little update again. Due to springtime a lot of garden works and dog fun I took down the level of building speed... So I shaped the parts of the masts with a planer (as the featured parts of the Corel kit are quare-shapened timber). I was afraid this challenge would be too heavy to solve - but it is not. After all I am convinced it's more easy than to taper rods. The next steps are to build the masts with all parts. I will do the next weeks so that I will be ready for rigging in autumn. I want to finish the Berlin in wintertime. I am not sure yet if I will use the sails (I bought the accessoires from Corel).

See you soon

Cheerio

Max

berlin_148.jpg

berlin_149.jpg

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

• 1 month later...

Hello my friends,

I am still alive... and was always working a little bit on my Fregatte Berlin. So it came as far that the masts are all prepared, the yards are shapened and I startet with the challenge I love almost the most - rigging. I attached some pics to show the progress. I decided at least to fix the sails to the model. It will be some fun I think. There are absolutely no complications so far. The plans give you some hints but the most is done with expierence and a good book (Wolfram zu Monfeld).

I repeat my opinion: The model of Fregatte Berlin by Corel is not suitable to beginners. You should have built two or three ships before you start this. But it's fun and a very good method to relax and fade away to an other "world".

That's it for today - will be back soon(er or later)

Cheerio

Max

Sorry for the wrong queue... I could not sort the pics in the correct way

berlin_155.jpg

berlin_156.jpgberlin_157.jpg

berlin_158.jpg

berlin_150.jpg

berlin_151.jpg

berlin_152.jpg

berlin_154.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again...

the Berlin grows and grows. I am still busy with the standing rigging - just do a few things as it's still summer. But it takes good progress.

I am very pleased with all and see no difficulties around - but you have to understand the plan. It's a little bit confusing. But it's a challenge - and that's what counts.

Some pics as always...

Cheerio

Max

berlin_159.jpg

berlin_160.jpg

berlin_161.jpg

berlin_162.jpg

berlin_163.jpg

I love this model, and the way you are building it is outstanding.  I am sure, once finished, you will have a superb rendering of an excellent kit.

By the way, there is a little point I think you definitely could and should improve, and that is the position of the figurehead, which sticks out a little too much.  Have a google at other Berlin models.

Get on with the fine job.

JP

53 minutes ago, Jean-Pierre said:

I love this model, and the way you are building it is outstanding.  I am sure, once finished, you will have a superb rendering of an excellent kit.

By the way, there is a little point I think you definitely could and should improve, and that is the position of the figurehead, which sticks out a little too much.  Have a google at other Berlin models.

Get on with the fine job.

JP

Thank you Jean-Pierre...

I will try to Change the Position as I also think it is too much sticking out... just don't know how to manage... but I'll find a solution

:)

Hi Max, you have done such an amazing job... I love the kit and the work you have done!

One question, how did you do your tree nails on the deck? Did you varnish the deck first and then fill the treenails and what was your fill? Thanks for your reply. 

Julian

Billing Boats - Bluenose

Caldercraft - Bomb Vessel Granado

Mamoli - Santa Maria

• 1 month later...

Hello Julian, sorry for the delay - was not online for some health reasons...

I just used an common pencil. I just spotted on the wood - thats all. Nothing special, no filling. Just patience - that is what you really need - but we build period ships, so patience is my second first name :D

Hi mates,

just a little update. As I cought me a terrible summer cold with fever and all that stupid stuff I am in delay with the updates. I worked on the standing rigging and finally finished it. I love this work so much and I am quite content with he result. Especially the ratlines make a good impression to me. I used very thin yarn (.25mm) and this looks very nice. At least I fixed the anchors - but they need a lot of work to be done. The provided kit's anchors are nothing more than a useful base for the real anchors. I tried to get them a little bit more realistic, I also build up two buoys and additonal items. The flags are not fixed - I replaced the Corel flags with really good and high detailled ones and I also replaced the lantern with a beautiful one I found at the after-sales market. The Corel lantern is not good.

So I will go on with the yards, the sails and the running rigging soon. I think I will have two more months fun with the Fregatte Berlin.

Just enjoy the pics - and don't hesitate with critics and praise :10_1_10:

Cheerio

Max

berlin_164.jpg

berlin_166.jpg

berlin_167.jpg

berlin_168.jpg

berlin_169.jpg

berlin_170.jpg

berlin_171.jpg

berlin_172.jpg

Edited by maggsl_01

• 2 months later...

Hello my friends

it's been a long time since my last entry. Well, I was busy with the sails. The rigging is going on very well, there is no real problem around. The plans could be more clearly, but if you take your time and read the drawings exactly you will have no problem with the sails.

I still have to make three sails then the Fregatte Berlin will be fiished. Some coils are necessary and some smaller jobs as always.

No more words - just enjoy the pics. They show the status quo (no... not the band :))

Cheerio

Max

berlin_176.jpg

berlin_175.jpg

berlin_174.jpg

berlin_177.jpg

berlin_178.jpg

berlin_179.jpg

berlin_180.jpg

berlin_181.jpg

berlin_182.jpg

berlin_183.jpg

Hi Max ....

... You wrote :''the Berlin grows and grows. ''...

Well the fact is that You are the growing one at the ship modeling !!

This is a very nice work !

Best regards,

Zoran 

• 1 month later...

Hello my friends

this is the last entry in my build log "Fregatte Berlin", Corel, 1:40. I finished the work on this wonderful modelship. Most of the time the build was a pleasure.

Some words about the kit:

The timber is good but I changed the 4/2mm stips for the hull into 7/1mm - this looks better and you can work with this strips better.

The prefabbricated parts like decks or frames are not state-of-the-art, but with some work all goes into place

The brass parts are quite good. I decided to paint them according to the color-scheme I found in the WWW. I like it but I do see that the colored parts can look a little bit like toys. But I don't mind :)

The plans are somewhere between good and awful. Especially if you want to put sails on to the the ship the rigging plan is  difficult to understand. As I did some ships before I got along - but a newbie will have problems. The drawings themselves are good.

The model needs some modifications - deck planking, additional parts, but this is whats modelling is for :)

Tricky was to change square bars into masts. I was surprised how good the result was at least.

I filled the space between the frames with balsa wood and got all togehther into the correct shape. I was not convinced that a single planking without a strong and stable substructure would work.

All in all as a conclusion: Yes, I loved this build (with some doubts as in any relationship :)). It's a really nice model, quite impressing an authentic. The price is about 420 - 450 Euros in Europe. That's a lot and not approbiate imo - at least you have to buy some additional items like flags (the ones provided with the kit are not usable) or black yarn for the standing rigging.

No - this kit is not suitable for beginners. You have to know a lot (and I do NOT know enogh) about modelling period ships.

I would recommend this kit to everyone who wants to have a unique model, has enough expierence and a lot of patience.

I enjoyed the 18 months that I spent with the Fregatte  Berlin. It will adorn my office.

The next project will be  Fregatte Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euromodel. This will be a real challenge, I expect a building period of at least three years. Just for studying the plans I will need a year... :) They are so full of details.  I have all interpretives that Euromodel offer on their site and I did understand yet that very much of the parts have to be carved and made by myself. And that you can build  the ship "out of the box" or cahnge into a museum-like gem. I will decide for a way inbetween this extremes :) But I will not start with the FW before 2019 or 2020. The next years I want to travel around the world.

That's it for the Moment, please enjoy the pics (you can find more in the gallery on NRG) and feel free to tell me what you think about my Fregatte Berlin.

I will follow the discussions on the board for sure - infected with the modeller's Virus :D:D 

CHEERIO

Max

Berlin  finished09.jpg

Berlin Finished01.jpg

Berlin finished02.jpg

Berlin finished03.jpg

Berlin finished04.jpg

Berlin finished05.jpg

Berlin finished06.jpg

Berlin finished07.jpg

Berlin finished08.jpg

Berlin finished10.jpg

Max,

Excellent. Personally I think you have used just the right amount of paint to highlight some features, like the doors, and make the decoration stand out. No way it looks like a toy.

Glenn

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

A very nice looking model of the Brandenburg Fregatte Max,

the rigged sails really give her a lovely touch, well done..:)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 months later...

Very fine and finished work Max,

I'm still on the way... :(

I want a help from you.

Some parts of my plans have been damaged.

Please let me know which numbers are there at Tav 4...

G.jpg

WP_20180213_08_01_26_Pro_LI.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Ferit, I will have a look on the plans tomorrow (thursday) and send you a pic

thanks for your Kind words

Cheerio

Max