blue nose shrouds

Barbara:

The .021 line will be okay, I am sure. Lanyards can be the lighter color thread.

Russ

Barbara

I agree with Russ about the size to use - using the smallest size available to you will maintain scale integrity better than the larger sizes.  Out of curiosity, which kit are you building?

As an alternative the rope that Chuck sells at Syren Ship Modelling is far superior to what was provided in the Models Shipways kit.  You may be able to get sizes that come closer to the plans and allow you to create a more accurate representation.  The look and feel of Chucks product is fabulous and a good upgrade, in my opinion.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Barbara

I agree with Russ about the size to use - using the smallest size available to you will maintain scale integrity better than the larger sizes.  Out of curiosity, which kit are you building?

As an alternative the rope that Chuck sells at Syren Ship Modelling is far superior to what was provided in the Models Shipways kit.  You may be able to get sizes that come closer to the plans and allow you to create a more accurate representation.  The look and feel of Chucks product is fabulous and a good upgrade, in my opinion.

Bob

Thanks for the input.  I am working on the MS Bluenose.  Thanks again

Sorry folks if I am missing something here.  As the shrouds are some of the heaviest lines on the vessel, why use the smallest that is provided with the kit?

That is unless they are replicating wire rope only for the shrouds, thus smaller diameter than other standing rigging.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I would think, given the vessel and when she was built, that wire rope would have been used.

Russ

• 1 month later...

Lanyards are nominally the color of the running rigging but in actual practice they are very dark. They get dirty and greasy right away and stay that way. In fact they often are greased the day they are installed so they will render around the holes in the deadeyes when the rigging is tightened and tuned. They don't get tarred, as the standing rigging will, but trust me when I say they are very dark in color, never white.

Niagara USS Constitution