Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

thanks for the pic Bob,

is there a typical nomination for that typ rig ? , I normaly would call it a brig with two full rigged masts, and spanker at the aft mast, but here the foremast seems to be the mainmast. (hight). Probably it would have been a small 3-mast frigate with also a foremast, if not that bomb firing caronade would take the required place on the foredeck. A very interessant vessel

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Bob,

GREAT choice for your build. I really enjoyed this kit, and as you mentioned there is so much you can do in the way of modifications. 

I'll be looking forward to your interpretation. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Hi Bob - this is one project I'll be sure to follow closely - love your work and the Granado is a beautiful vessel - can't wait to see how she shapes up in your able hands!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Nils, it probably fits the description of a ketch, although I don't know if it was designated as such.

Joe, I am following along with your build at every step. I'm finding it extremely helpful.

Thanks, Hamilton for your interest.

Bob

Glad the log is helpful Bob. That's what's great about this site. 

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Hi Bob,

Granado was originally built as a Sloop, the keel was laid in November 1741, she was built in Ipswich and then transferred to Cann's shipyard in Harwich for fitting out.

She was then fitted out as a Bomb vessel in July 1756, she was fitted out with 2 x 13inch Mortars but this was later changed to 1 x 13inch & 1 x 10inch.

She returned to being Sloop in May 1760 and saw a lot of action as a Sloop, she was changed back to a Bomb Vessel in August 1761, she has indeed got a good history of engagements.

She really is my favourite ship.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I've completed the first planking of the lower hull on the port side. My intention was to do it "quick and dirty" , so as to achieve a smooth, flowing surface for the second planking, without worrying too much about a prototypical planking pattern.  My reaction after doing this work is to wonder why anyone would want to bother with double planking a hull. It seems like an awful lot of extra work. I'm still going to have to do all of the lay-out work for the final planking that I would have done if it were single planked.

In any event, it's now on to the starboard side.

Bob

post-186-0-11961400-1461936144_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-59866600-1461936174_thumb.jpg

that`s a smooth and fine base for your second planking Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

First planking looks immaculate Bob! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Nice planking! I'm only doing one layer on my ship, but I guess that because it is a solid hull it doesn't need two ;).

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

sweet first planking bob.    I'd be will to try a spot of stain to see how it looked  ;)   I've done kits that directed a second planking.......but I've only done it to one so far.   it does work out cool though..........it allows you to integrate the wales and rub rails during the process.   it melds them into the hull and don't jut out as far......it looks more natural too.  either way.......you have a good basis to start from..........whatever you do,  it's gonna look spot on  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

After some time off for travel, I've now completed the first planking by doing the starboard side. Once again, this was simply a matter of getting a smooth covering without much regard to prototype planking patterns.

I've decided to do some interior work before doing the final outer planking. This will involve at least cutting off the bulkhead extensions and  adding the sub-deck and the inner bulwark pieces.

Bob

post-186-0-55997600-1463144575_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-26185900-1463144603_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-70302700-1463144619_thumb.jpg

I've done the initial work on the interior. This involved cutting off the bulkhead extensions and sanding the tops of the  bulkheads; adding the sub-deck; planking  the interior of the bulwarks; lining the gunports ;and painting the bulwarks and gunports.

The first two tasks were straightforward: I used a side cutter to snip off the extensions and a chisel and sanding sticks to smooth off the bulkhead tops; I cut the sub-deck into two pieces to make gluing it on a little easier.

The bulwark interior was another matter. After wasting nearly an entire day trying to make the kit supplied bulwark pieces (precut walnut similar to the external gunport pieces)  fit properly, I finally just gave up and proceeded to plank the bulwarks with boxwood strip. It's simply amazing to me that using supposedly time saving kit parts should be that much more difficult than doing it the old fashioned time consuming way. It's little wonder that inexperienced modelers get fed up with kits and fail to complete projects. (end of rant  :angry: )

Now it's on to the upper outer hull planking.

Bob

post-186-0-50363100-1463832807_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-97250600-1463832854_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-37652100-1463832898_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-44462900-1463832960_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-32388100-1463832990_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-94061600-1463833016_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-13869200-1463833040_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-60610400-1463833058_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-28880100-1463833088_thumb.jpg

Nice work Bob. I recall that interior  bulwark piece being a real pain.

Can't quite tell from the photos, but if you haven't done so it's a good idea to blank off the center of the hull at the two air ports so you can't eventually see all the way through the hull. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Bob, You must be retired and have the time to dedicate to modeling. You are moving at lightning speed and still do precision work. I will have more time on my hands for modeling soon. I retire in about 5 weeks.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Thanks so much Al. I've been retired for some time now ( that just means I'm kind of old  :D ). One of the nicest parts of retirement is having plenty of available modeling time. I wish you the best in yours.

Bob

Work is now well underway on the upper hull planking. I have done the starboard side and am working on the port side. The work has consisted of planking to completion above the wales and adding the three strakes of base planking for the wales.

The planking is being done with boxwood strip from Crown. The caulking is simulated using pencil on one side and end of each plank. Where necessary, the planks were bent using soaking in boiling water. Most of the planks are beveled on one edge to assure a tight fit. Treenailing is simulated using the drill and fill method, using walnut filler in #75 holes. Both the planking layout and the treenail pattern generally follow those shown in the AOTS Granado book.

I expect to be working on the port side all of this coming week.

Bob

post-186-0-14003000-1464433519_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-45431800-1464433549_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-43557600-1464433569_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-28541500-1464433919_thumb.jpg

Nice and tidy Bob.

Your planking crisp and clean mate, just as we have come to expect.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-