Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

I've now completed planking of the main deck (other than treenailing). The planking is holly strip, with pencil caulking on one side and end of each plank. The pattern follows that shown in AOTS and uses the lines previously drawn on the subdeck for joint positioning. The waterway-margin planks were sanded down, as necessary, to meet the deck planking.  I also added the additional section of raised planking at the mainmast and a quarter round waterway piece at the base of the quarterdeck bulkhead.

Prior to doing the planking, I had to make and install the two mortar pits, since the planking had to be laid up against them. I used the kit's walnut parts to make the pits, but used boxwood strip to plank the outer housings. The assemblies were finished with multiple coats of Wipe-on Poly and ringbolts were added before installation.

I am now going to do the treenailing.

Bob

post-186-0-32306800-1466599285_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-10284900-1466599304_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-23916300-1466599323_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-50278000-1466599341_thumb.jpg

It all looks so crisp and clean, great work. I'd be scared of putting holes for treenails in that beautiful decking.

That contrast between the walnut & holly looks really good.  I've pretty much looked away from walnut, since it's so splintery to work with, but now, I'm going to start thinking of how to make such a handsome contrast somewhere on the Fly.

Great work Bob.

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks so much Martin. I' really not very happy about using the walnut, but so many of the kit parts are made from it. While I replaced the planking wood, I didn't want to totally replace all of the kit parts. The walnut is, as you say, a nice contrast.

Bob

she looking sweet Bob......the mortar pits are very well done.   nice attention to detail  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just catching up here Bob after being out of town for a while. She's looking splendid!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Wow, I have never thought of using Holly for deck planking, it really pops and has to be considered as an alternative for future builds, nicely done Bob.

Mortar pits have come out well and the whole is coming together very well.

I like.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks so much Red, Nigel and Ian for the nice comments.

Red, you should post a log.

Nigel, glad to have you back. I've missed updates on your beautiful builds.

Bob

Treenailing of the main deck planking is now done. As with the hull, this was done by drill and fill, using golden oak filler. After final sanding, a coat of Wipe-on Poly was applied as a sealer. The treenailing followed the beam lines previously laid out, and the pattern shown in AOTS.

To break up what what seemed like an endless drilling of holes, I decided to make the fore and main hatches during that process. The coamings were made from walnut strip from the kit. The main hatch planking was done with boxwood strip.Ringbolts still need to be added to the hatch planks. The fore hatch grating was done using cambered boxwood grating material from Syren that I had left over from Cheerful.

After putting it off for as long as I could, I'm now starting on the second planking of the lower hull.

Bob 

post-186-0-68878600-1467201453_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-78773500-1467201505_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-02085300-1467201528_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-61206100-1467201544_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-59476200-1467201564_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob -- Great treenailing.  I'm glad to see you didn't shy away from setting dark treenails in -- I personally think that contrast looks terrific.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel