Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Bob:

Those little details really make a big difference. Nice work.

Russ

Great work.  Thanks for sharing your method for making parrels.  I have some ribs and wooden beads that I got from Italy, but they look too big for 1:64 scale.

I will try your method.  I did acquire some smaller beads (plastic) recently.  I assume you used white glue to make the rib stack.  If not, what type of glue was it?

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

This past week, I made up and rigged the wingsail gaff and the topmast yard. I also did the spritsail yard braces.

The wingsail gaff is a dowel, tapered at both ends, and using the kit jaws. The parrel is beads strung on a piece of wire inserted into the jaws. I added paper bands and an eyebolt and painted the gaff black. The gaff was then mounted and rigged, doing the peak and throat halyards and the vangs. 

The topsail yard was made up like the main yard, using a dowel filed square in it's center section, then built up with strip and filed eight sided. The ends were tapered, the various cleats added, and the yard painted black. Before mounting, I added the foot ropes and stirrups, the blocks for the tie, the lifts/topgallant sheets, the clews and the braces. I also made up and added the parrel, done like the main yard with beads and strip wood ribs. The yard was mounted and partially rigged, doing the tie and it's double falls, and the topsail clews and sheets. 

For the spritsail braces, I ran the running parts through blocks on a short span attached to the main preventer stay. These are shown in Lees and the kit plans, bur not in AOTS.

I will next finish up the mainmast with the topgallant yard and then move on to the mizzen.

Bob

post-186-0-19334400-1487075861_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-80617500-1487075887_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-86894800-1487075910_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-03519700-1487075953_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-23008700-1487075981_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-57833000-1487076002_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-57801000-1487076046_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-63841100-1487076068_thumb.jpeg

excellent rigging Bob,

very clean and well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Now that's a nice treat to wake up to in the morning Bob. It's got bacon eggs beat :) , great work.

Simply amazing, Bob! All this in only ten months. Can't wait to see what's next.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Thanks so much Sjors , Mike and the "likes".

Sjors, make a plan for how to do the rigging and then just follow it, one line at a time. A complicated result is made up of a bunch of simple jobs, done in a doable sequence. See, it's easy.  :D

Mike, at my age, there's no time to waste.  :(  ;)

Bob

I've now made up, mounted and rigged the main topgallant yard. 

This is a simple yard, being round in section throughout. Only tapering was required, before adding the cleats, foot ropes, and the blocks for the lifts, clews and braces. Lines were also added for the truss and tie. After mounting, the rigging was completed for the truss, lifts, tie, clews, and the sheets/ topsail lifts. The lifts and tie were tied off at the main top and coils added.

The area at the deck was a jumble of lines that required, as B.E. has put it, "tidying up". I finished tying off all of the lines at the bitts, cleats and kevels and added rope coils. This completed the running rigging of the main mast yards, with the exception of their braces and the lower sheets and tacks, which will be done at a later point.

Now, it's on to the mizzen.

Bob

post-186-0-39724300-1487417199_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-65840000-1487417223_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-57102900-1487417247_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-25863300-1487417268_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-27503900-1487417293_thumb.jpeg

Bob:

Your rigging is always so accurate and clean looking. I hope to be able to come close to your level of detail one day.

Russ

Wonderful job, Bob! To give the rope coils such a nice natural shape as shown on your 4th picture do you add some thinned glue?

Thomas 

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks so much Thomas. I make the coils by wrapping line, to which I have applied glue with my fingers, around a piece of plastic tubing (to which it won't stick). I remove the glued up coil from the tube before it dries hard and then put it in place with a spot of glue and shape it with tweezers.

Bob

Bob,

Don't know how I missed THIS build log.

Beautiful work indeed. I will go back and visit from page 1. I promise not to bury your in-box with "likes" ha ha -. My next project will be a cross section, I will then visit your Triton as well.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

This past week, I turned my attention to the mizzen and made up, mounted and rigged the crojack, boom and gaff. All three yards are round in section throughout, and required only tapering and the addition of cleats for each and jaws in the case of the boom and gaff, before painting black.

For the crojack, foot ropes were added and then blocks for the sling, lifts, topsail sheets and braces. For the boom, a span was added for the topping lift and pendants and blocks for the guys. For the gaff, blocks were added for the peak and throat halyards, pendants and blocks for the vangs, and lead blocks and line for the mizzen topsail and topgallant braces. The crojack was mounted on it's pin and the boom and gaff were mounted with parrels made from wire and beads.

After mounting, rigging was done on each. On the crojack, I did the sling and the lifts. On the boom, I did the topping lift and the guys. On the gaff, I did the peak and throat halyards and the vangs. Most of the rigging was left only temporarily tied off. 

Now, I will do the topsail and topgallant yards.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_656.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_65d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_658.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_659.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_65a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_65b.jpeg

I am always impressed with your combination of neatness and accuracy. Great work.

Russ