Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Congratulations!  Another skillfully constructed model.

I've enjoyed your logs for a few years now, so I look forward to the next one.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

On 9.3.2017 at 7:10 PM, rafine said:

Thanks so much Dirk, Michael,Russ, Albert and Don for the generous words, and thanks also to the "likes".

Michael, Granado, like all my builds, will go in a case and will replace one of the models on display in my home. I'm on a "one in, one out" system, so one older model will have to go.

For those interested, my next build will be the schooner Halifax from a Lumberyard POF timbering set.

Bob

Hi Bob,

will the schooner "Halifax" be a scratch build to a plan (because of the lumberyard timbering set) ?, and what scale will it be ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils, this will be a semi-scratch build. I will probably post it as a kit build since much of the framing is laser cut. The scale is 1:48.

Rich, most of the models have been given to family and friends. I have donated a few to charitable auctions. I do still have 9 in the house.

Bob

It sounds like they've been multiplying like rabbits!  Since my last two models took almost two years each to build...those 9 models would represent 18 years of my slow work. Wow!

Thanks so much Koen and the "likes".

Rich, I have been building for about 50 years. I have been retired for almost 20. Most of my recent builds have been in the 1 to 1 1/2 year category. My wife would agree that they have been multiplying like rabbits. :)

Bob

Well, that's it. Granado is finished. I have made up and mounted the swivel guns and the anchors, completing the work.

The swivel guns were made up using the kit's brass barrels and PE mounts, as well as brass wire and small beads for the handles. They were painted black and installed with pins in holes previously drilled in the pedestals.

The anchors were all made using the kit castings, boxwood strip for the stocks, paper bands on the stocks and rings made from wire. Puddening was added to the rings by wrapping line around the wire. Cat blocks and falls and lashings were generally done as shown in AOTS.

Following photos of the final work are a few completion portraits of the model. I will be starting a log for Halifax in the next day or two.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_664.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_670.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_66f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_673.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_674.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_675.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_671.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_677.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_679.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_67a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_67b.jpeg

Bob,

congratulations to completion of this excellent and beautiful built bomb vessel.

It is very nicely detailed and there is so much to discover, when exploring the photographs   :)

In all, well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Congratulations on the completion of your Granado.  I have really enjoyed following your build log and I look forward to following your Halifax build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Another beautiful model. Congratulations. I will look forward to work on the Halifax.

Russ

she looks awesome Bob.........congratz!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Congratulations on completing another very fine build Bob.  I look forward to following your Halifax build.

Thanks so much to all who have followed this build and have provided their generous comments, encouragement and "likes" throughout and at it's conclusion. I greatly appreciate the support and the friendship.

B.E. and Erik: I am attaching a few more photos, but I'm not sure that they're any better. My point and shoot either can't or won't do any better on the overall shots.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_685.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_682.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_683.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_684.jpeg

Congrats Bob, she is a true beauty

All I can do is echo the others Bob on your masterpiece.  Congratulations.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well done Bob, great work. She's such a fine looking vessel and makes a great model. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Congratulations again.  A superb model!

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Congratulations, Bob! You did it again! What a beautiful model! And a wonderful build log as well. Thank you for sharing all this information! Can't wait to see your next project :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Congratulations Bob, a fine piece of work and an inspiration!

ian