Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Great job Bob! She just keeps looking more and more real!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks so much Rich, Albert and Elijah for the generous comments and also the "likes".

Rich, at my age talent diminishes and needs to be replaced by increased effort and perseverance. :(

Bob

As usual, absolutely beautiful work, Bob! What kind of wood are your blocks made of? Were they provided by the kit or did you buy them from another source? They also have nicely rounded edges . . . is this the result of a block tumbler or do you treat them in some other way? I know you probably have already published all these details somewhere in your amazing build log . . . but my memory sometimes suffers from overload and certain details escape ;)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks so much Thomas and the "likes". The blocks are all from Syren and require no work (I do drill out the holes to enlarge them slightly). Like all of Chuck's products, they are terrific.

Bob

catching up Bob on your fantastic project.    you've made a lot of progress and your rigging is so very well done!   clean and neat ;)  so much goes into one of these vessels....amazing!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Vossiewulf. I'm very flattered by the compliment, but I'm not doing anything that you won't be able to achieve with some care and practice.

Bob

I've now done the mizzen topsail and topgallant yards and their rigging. The yards were made as the previous yards. The topsail yard has an eight sided center section and the topgallant is round throughout.The blocks for the lifts, sheets clews and braces well as lines for the ties and trusses were added before mounting on the mast.

After mounting, rigging was completed for all of the lines to these yards, including the braces, which run through lead blocks previously attached to the mizzen gaff.

All that remains of the rigging now is the remainder of the braces and the main lower clews, tacks and sheets. Since I have continually (and stupidly) underestimated the amount of rigging line that was needed, I'm currently awaiting another delivery of line to allow me to finish that work.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_65f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_65e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_660.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_661.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_662.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_663.jpeg

Just what i was saying..........spaghetti  😄

But looks delicious👍

Very nice Bob and i know what you mean by short of rope.

i'm glad that i order enough (i hope)

Sjors

I don't think I use the word 'stupid' Bob.   I'm sure you have done more to the rigging than the instructions showed ;)    well done on the rigging.....

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Rigging is now complete.I finished off the braces on the crojack and the mainmast yards and the main lower sheets and tacks. I also permanently tied off any lines that had only been done temporarily, and added rope coils to all remaining tie-off points.

All that remains now are the swivel guns and the anchors. These should be done within the next week.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_665.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_666.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_667.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_668.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_669.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_66a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_66b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_66c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_66d.jpeg

Absolutely fantastic.  Sorry if this was discussed before but I was wondering how you're eventually going to display this.  Also, I second Dirk's question.  What will be next?

Bob:

Beautifully done. Your rigging details are always a joy to behold.

Russ

Hi Bob, I have missed so much lately. Great work

fantastic work Bob.........so close to the finish.    awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks so much Dirk, Michael,Russ, Albert and Don for the generous words, and thanks also to the "likes".

Michael, Granado, like all my builds, will go in a case and will replace one of the models on display in my home. I'm on a "one in, one out" system, so one older model will have to go.

For those interested, my next build will be the schooner Halifax from a Lumberyard POF timbering set.

Bob

Beautiful and breath-taking work, Bob.   

I'll have to go find a seat for the Halifax build.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A wonderful model, Bob! I admire the craftsmanship and precision you always display in your models! It is just a joy to watch!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)