Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

hey howya goin Bob, well done mate she looks good.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

A little late for the finish party but man, a great job again 👍🎉

Congrats...

Be proud of what you have done and i will keep an eye on the Halifax.

Sjors

Thanks so much again to all for your kind words and "likes". While we all build for our own enjoyment and satisfaction, none of us can deny that it's great to have your peers offer praise for your efforts. 

Bob

I didn't see the pictures when I read your post last bob  re#556........you may have put them in later?!?!   stunning looking ship........really shows how complex the rigging is.   super job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

:D   additional pictures are always worth the wait.   now get that beauty in the gallery before it happens again ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

What a superbe build!!!

Looking forward to see your Halifax.

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Congratulations for this excellent work! and like others, waiting for the Halifax...

th.gif

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

I love your work. It is awesome and an inspiration to all of us....:D

What's next on your project list???

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Hi Bob,

That was a really great build and your finished model looks outstanding.

As always its a joy watching and learning from you. Good luck with the Halifax.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 1 year later...

Hi Bob

What a beautiful Granado you've created !

I've a small problem with mine - hope you don't mind me asking so long after the event.....

(and apologies if the answer is in your log somewhere - I've not read it all)

The problem is the vangs on the wingsail gaff - none of the Jotika docs refer to these, nor does my copy of "Anatomy of the Ship", but I notice you've fitted them. Fitting vangs seems essential, otherwise there's no tension on the lifts. What did you base fitting these on ? And where did you belay the falls to ?

Thanks

Alan

Thanks so much Alan. As to those vangs, I'll take your word that there's no reference in the plans or AOTS, and fall back to the likely answer that I just didn't like the way that the gaff looked without them, for the reason that you state about lack of tension. It appears that I belayed them to the topgallant backstay, for lack of any other convenient point. Probably not correct, but it worked.

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks so much for the prompt reply - I think I'll end up adding vangs for sure.

One more related question if I may...

You say in the log that you used the kit "jaws" for the wing sail gaff, but they don't seem to fit at all well, because the mainmast is pretty much square-section at that point (because of the cheeks fitted either side). Am I missing something ?

Alan

Hi (again) Bob

Looking more carefully at your (really nice!) photos and reading your log more carefully, I can see that you shaped both the mainmast and the bib/side fishes so that the overall assembly ends up pretty much round, allowing the kit wingsail gaff jaws to fit. Of course none of this shaping is called for in the jotika instructions, or really indicated in AOTS, so I made no attempt to do it - just glued the kit bibs either side of the circular lower mainmast, ending up with something quite square. I can't do anything about the mast at this point, so I guess I'll try to open out the kit jaws, or if necessary scratch some more "open" ones that will fit my mast.

Sometimes experience is far superior to just following the instructions !

Onwards and (at worst) sideways !

• 9 months later...

Bob,

Congratulations!  Excellent work!

Phil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me