Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

very good work Bob,

those mortar pits and deck look lovely also nice choise of wooden tones  .....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Bob,

Just got a chance to catch up on your work.

As I thought you would, you've been making great progress and it looks fantastic. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thats a lot of holes Bob, nicely done mate and congratulations on having the fortitude and determination to complete this part.

Looking good all round mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 2 weeks later...

awesome progress Bob........the tree nailing really pops  :)   the deck layout is coming along nicely.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I've spent the past couple of weeks doing the second planking of the lower hull. Since I didn't want to paint the planking, I had chosen to do the lower hull in holly to represent the tallowed planking. The lack of painting also meant that the planking would have to be done in a prototypical manner. Since neither the kit plans nor AOTS showed a lower hull planking layout, i had to create one , based on typical practice.

The procedure followed was to use tick strips to measure out plank width at various points and to maintain the same number of planks throughout. This was accomplished by tapering each plank to achieve the correct plank width at each measured point. The holly bends easily, so I decided to edge bend the tapered planks rather than spiling. The bending was done by soaking in boiling water. The planks were beveled on one edge, as necessary, to achieve a close fit, and then a pencil was used on one edge and one end to simulate the caulking. The planking was sanded smooth and then finished with Wipe-on Poly.

I'd like to say that it came out perfectly, but it didn't. Small errors in measurement, and the almost inevitable effects of creep. led to some funkiness in the last strake or two on each side. I am happier with the starboard, done second, and that is the side shown in the photos.

Bob

post-186-0-18099800-1468415280_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-19825000-1468415301_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-83785000-1468415332_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-60955500-1468415349_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-21437100-1468415397_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-89840500-1468415441_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much Dirk, Joe, Red and and Grant for the very kind comments. Thanks also to the "likes'.

Trust me Grant, it's there.

Red, the holly i'm using, as well as the boxwood, is from Crown Timberyard. Excellent quality.

Bob

The Holly is an inspired choice Bob, so much better than having to cover the planking with paint or what-ever.

Your planking is excellent mate and hard as I try I afraid I cant see any cock-ups or faults at all.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Very nice Bob, she looks great

I'm so taken with this I've acquired the Caldecraft Grenado and the AOTS book and added it to my "to do" shelf.

Retired now and finishing the standing rigging on my Morgan and thinking about the next build - Grenado? Confederacy? Gunboat Philadelphia ?

Hope I'm around long enough to do them all.

(And I have my eye on Chuck's royal barge )

Your build has been an inspiration and challenge to my gradually increasing but "miles to go" abilities.

So many boats, so little time and display space.

Congrats - she looks great!

hull looks great Bob...........really spot on!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Mobbsie, Don, Red, Bruce,Popeye and the "likes". Much appreciated.

Mobbsie, I can only repeat what I said  to Grant. :P

Bruce, all good choices. Looking at your Morgan, you should be up for whatever you choose. If you go with Granado, you should take a look at Joe V's log. It's been my inspiration.

Bob

That planking looks pretty doggone good to me, Bob.  The "inevitable creep" is something that made me learn to gnash my teeth in new ways as I planked the Fly, but golly I think we understand creepiness in different measures.

Cheers,

Martin (The Creepiest)

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks so much Abert and Martin.

Martin, I do have to admit that despite the flaws (and they are plainly visible to me), I'm pleased with the overall result of the planking. Looking at your Fly, I think that you should feel the same way.

Bob

After doing all of that hull planking, I felt like doing something very different. My choice was to do the stern. This work began with the wooden transom piece which was wet bent to shape and then glued in place. I then did the stern lights (windows), using the very nice kit PE pieces, which fit almost perfectly. I painted them using some old Floquil buff and glazed them with Micro Kristal Klear. After that, I cut in the counter vent ports and added their hinges, using the kit PE pieces, and their ringbolts. Then, I did  the final painting of the counter and added the moldings at the bottom of the transom and the bottom of the counter. These were done with boxwood strip, scraped to a simple double bead shape.

Next was the metal transom piece, which contains the stern decorations. Following the lead of Joe V, I decided to paint the background blue, with the decorations to look like natural wood. After bending the metal piece to shape, I did the painting. For the blue, I used Pollyscale B&M blue. For the wood color, I used the Floquil buff, followed by highlighting and shading done with Modelmaster wood color. The metal piece was then glued to the wooden transom piece, using medium CA.

The stern work was completed by making and installing the taffrail. This was done by wet bending a piece of holly strip to shape and painting it black before gluing it in place.

The next work will be the quarter deck area.

Bob

post-186-0-14372600-1468839036_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-65817900-1468839059_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-20856700-1468839079_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-96152000-1468839101_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-34102900-1468839138_thumb.jpg

Bob,

transom, tafferal and windows look very nice

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nice work. Lots great, I especially like the painting.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

With that last picture I had to check my cup to make sure it was only coffee I had in it  ;) , Looks real good and I agree with Scott that blue looks great

Thanks so much Nils, Scott, Don, Red and the "likes".

Don, I think I may have had something other than coffee in my cup when I took those pictures. :P  :P Not very good. I'm attaching a couple that, hopefully, are better.

Bob

post-186-0-67018700-1468862978_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-04311500-1468862995_thumb.jpg

Much better, looks awesome. The tainted coffee is still crossing my mind, I don't think it is too early....is it?