Triton cross section 1:48 by rafine

Great job Bob. It sure is a lot more fun planking these! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much, Paddy, Rusty and Chuck. Ill be taking a couple of weeks off, but I'm looking forward to doing the exterior planking when I return.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from two weeks away and really eager to get back to the model. Prior to leaving, I had done the wales on both sides with ebony. Upon my return, I did one side of the lower planking, using holly. Caulking is simulated with pencil on one edge and the joint end of each plank. I did the planking in groups of four strakes and then trimmed the ends and did a first sanding after each group.  I'm  trying to decide whether to treenail this side now or to plank the other side and then treenail both sides. My real first choice would be to have the treenails magically appear without my having to do them.

Bob

post-186-0-72174400-1369762777_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-76711700-1369762803_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-06659100-1369762824_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-26631900-1369762851_thumb.jpg

Bob:

The planking looks great. I like the seams. They are just about right to my eye, not overdone. That is a great effect.

As for treenailing, why not do a few strakes every few days, in between other work on the model? You will be done before you know it.

Russ

Edited by russ

Bob,

the planking is looking good. I'm no great fan of treenailing either, maybe the rigging fairies have some 2nd cousins that do treenailing. I normally just sit down & do it, the sooner it's finished the sooner I can move on to something more interesting.

Regards,

Grant.

Just a quick update. I've done the other side of the lower planking. Although I had intended to cover all of the framing, I changed my mind and left a small section exposed, probably just to remind me later that I actually had done the framing. I'm now starting the treenailing and will probably get through most of it while I wait for additional wood from Hobbymill.

Bob

post-186-0-68476400-1370079105_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-21861000-1370079127_thumb.jpg

I had intended to do the treenailing slowly and in small segments, but my obsessive-compulsive side took over and I finished the entire port side in one burst over a couple of days. Once I got into it, it was almost impossible to stop. First, I made a supply of treenails using bamboo skewers from the supermarket. (The first  photo shows some treenail pieces and a couple of pieces of bamboo that have been split and ready to run through the drawplate). Then I laid out three double rows on the hull using tape to keep straight lines. Next, I drilled holes and  inserted the treenail material after cutting a point on the end to ease insertion and dipping in glue. Lastly, I nipped off the pieces with a flush cutter. I then repeated the whole process twice more. Finally, I sanded the planking. 

By the way, the package of skewers that I bought for about $3 would probably last all of us combined for a long time. I'll be away for a few days, but then I expect to do the same thing to the starboard side.

Bob

post-186-0-31188600-1370455013_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-55913900-1370455036_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-22251100-1370455062_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-68433000-1370455085_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-97118800-1370455120_thumb.jpg

Bob:

The treenails look great. Very nice work.

When I do this, I generally, insert the treenail into the hole with some glue on it and then break it off and go to the next hole. However, I have also used end nippers and they seem to do a good job.

Russ

Thanks so much, Pete and Russ.

Pete, the treenails were drawn down to # 35 on the Byrnes drawplate. I used a drill just slightly larger to do the holes.

Russ, I found it really quick and easy to do 10 to 15 at a time and then nip them all off.

My previous efforts at treenailing on Syren and Fair American involved "fakes" using filler in drilled holes. I really don't think that using "real" treenails has been that much more difficult or time consuming. The big difference is making the treenails, but with practice it's going much quicker and easier. 

Bob

Bob, that's looking good. Nice to know OC is sometimes useful.  I use a syringe to inject dilute glue into the hole, push the treenail in then cut it off with nippers. Any excess glue is wiped off with a damp cotton tip so as not to affect the finish coat.

Regards,

Grant.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent Work Bob with the treenailing!

How I wish to get to that point of the building with my Triton. Did you use again the Byrnes drawplate or it is another brand. Looks like I´ll have to spend 50 bucks on mine. (25$ for the draw plate plus 25$ for the shipping from USA to Spain!)

Does anybody Know if I can get the Byrnes one here in Europe? UK? Germany? Spain?

Best wishes Bob!

Daniel.

Thanks, Daniel. I'm using the Byrnes draw plate. It's an excellent tool.

I've been having computer problems, apparently the result of a storm, which have kept me from posting. Hopefully, they are resolved now.

During this time, and while waiting for wood from Hobbymill, I completed tree nailing of the second side of the lower hull. I also applied a final finish with Wipe On Poly to the lower interior planking, in preparation for doing the lower deck framing. With the new wood having arrived, I've started on that framing.

Bob

post-186-0-79177300-1371380195_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-01224600-1371380253_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-25789900-1371380309_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-08264400-1371380364_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-19701300-1371380422_thumb.jpg

Bob:

The treenails look very good. It is a nice effect on the lower hull. Not too obvious. Nice work.

Russ