USN Picket Boat #1 by GuntherMT - Model Shipways - scale 1:24

14 hours ago, GuntherMT said:

Good question Roger, but I have no idea what the answer is.  Even contemporary drawings of the actual event show a square stern, not just drawings of this type of craft.

h42220.jpg.dc5320f3db94f1ddcde32bc5b7a8a997.jpg

I'm not personally ready to try to design and scratch build a square stern onto the model, so mine will be built as the kit depicts it, even though that's apparently a fairly large inaccuracy.

15 hours ago, GuntherMT said:

Good question Roger, but I have no idea what the answer is.  Even contemporary drawings of the actual event show a square stern, not just drawings of this type of craft.

h42220.jpg.dc5320f3db94f1ddcde32bc5b7a8a997.jpg

I'm not personally ready to try to design and scratch build a square stern onto the model, so mine will be built as the kit depicts it, even though that's apparently a fairly large inaccuracy.

Roger, Brian,

I still have the opportunity to square off the stern as I haven't glued the 3 layered add-on piece yet. I'll have to make another, or modify the stern upper deck portion I have already completed to give a finished appearance to the deck planking but a great question asked, Brian. Not sure how accurate it will end up but I'll post pics asap.

I'll show updates and outcome on my build log.

Len

Good job with the planking! The edges look nice and tight!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

So I know this will be shocking, but I actually did more stuff on the boat!

Finally finished planking bulkhead #4 that I already had glued to the keel.  Probably would have been easier to unglue it from the keel and then put it back on after planking, but oh well, got it done.

PB_059_BulkheadFourPlanking.thumb.jpg.e03e06bc03b7db5fb4a902278fbf4c54.jpg

Once that was done it was time to begin setting the bulkheads for the center/main cockpit area.  A good & meticulous boat builder would have a fancy building board with a frame designed to keep the tops of the bulkheads even side to side.  I do it ghetto style with a loose plank across the top of the bulkheads, my eyeballs, and some clamps.

PB_060_MiddleBulkheads.thumb.jpg.ac7a8e65549674e7f2de6216e3d30ff1.jpgPB_061_MiddleBulkheads.thumb.jpg.f0b7a98cf3456e34543fa53e293a0f31.jpg

Of course I'm a big clumsy oaf so I managed to break a bulkhead while using it to size the bulkhead slots in the planked floor pieces.  This is the 2nd bulkhead I've broken, they are extremely fragile at this point.  I decided to reinforce this one when I fixed it by drilling a hole in both pieces (1.15mm drill) and inserting a small wooden dowel cut from boxwood with a drawplate.

PB_062_BrokenBulkhead.thumb.jpg.a32ce098b5a38f1c5a0b65feeb868f6e.jpgPB_063_BrokenBulkhead.thumb.jpg.1b10cae0555a3b53c01b9660bf0e34c1.jpgPB_064_BrokenBulkhead.thumb.jpg.67018846a7d95a0bb668d693d32b48d0.jpg

After all the middle bulkheads (but not the main aft bulkhead for the section) are mounted, I dry fit the main cockpit deck, and it required a slight bit of adjustment with an emory board, after which it fits quite nicely.  There is not enough room for the main aft bulkhead due to the extra thickness added for the planking on it, so I have to sand about 1/32" off the aft end of the deck pieces before it will fit with the aft bulkhead in place.  I reduced the bow end prior to this.

PB_065_DryFitMainFloor.thumb.jpg.7c380a7df784770ee3a3a90e663108a0.jpg

Both main floor pieces have developed a slight warp, a curve from side to side, they are straight in the long direction, so I dampened the back basswood and they are currently both sitting under a significant amount of weight on a flat surface to hopefully remove most of the warp.  Will take a while to dry in between the surface and the heavy pieces of wood on top.

What are the pieces you have clamped to the bulkheads to square them up? Where does one get these?

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

4 minutes ago, JesseLee said:

What are the pieces you have clamped to the bulkheads to square them up? Where does one get these?

Jesse

3" tookmakers angle plate.  I got them from Micro Mark.

Hi Brian,

A heads up, I planked the lower mid deck as you have and I completely overlooked the drive shaft alignment. There is no real way to adjust the axis of the shaft this late in the build and I don't feel inclined to dig a depression in the deck to re-align the engine crank and the shaft, therefore I'm stuck with the mismatch. A bit of a blow but it was a cosmetic change adding the planks so I don't feel to distraught about it.

You will be in a better position than me if you have not glued the deck in yet.

5904c55fe9c93_IMG_36191.JPG.2a9e1e41560e937211fe38c247e0bd45.JPG

Next up after the middle bulkheads/frames was the aft cockpit bulkheads/frames.  These all fit fairly loose so had to be aligned as I went in both directions.  Wasn't too bad, and I got all of them set fairly quickly.

PB_066_AftCockpitBulkheads.thumb.jpg.304f373aece8e7562e545a7190b63262.jpg

Once the bulkheads were dried, I did the final adjustments to the floor and seat for the aft cockpit and glued them in place.  This is in the instructions after the main floor, but it was spending a couple of days under a heavy stack of wood trying to get most of the warping out of it.

PB_067_AftCockpitDeckandSeat.thumb.jpg.e7252d640f8ee2210ddd983e1b521c6e.jpg

After about 48 hours of crap stacked on the floor of the main cockpit I figured it was good enough, and I did the final adjustments and glued it in place.

PB_068_MaintCockpitDeck.thumb.jpg.19a3d8ff371b4fb5a273f8ea08d47be3.jpg

Once the deck is in place, the next step is to assemble the coal bunkers.  These are the final step to align the frames and make them rigid enough for planking, so next up is to begin the hull planking once all the glue is well dried.

PB_069_CoalBunkers.thumb.jpg.eaa369fe1d46bd1b4e2e10602bcc47e3.jpg

Thanks for all the likes and comments.

1 hour ago, DocBlake said:

Looks great, Brian!  I really like the job your doing.  Are you planning to modify the stern so it's flat/square rather than rounded?

Nope, building it per the plans.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Nothing happening currently Tim, as life has sort of taken me out of the workshop for quite a long time now.  Still want to get back to it eventually, but no idea when that will be.  This is the first time I've even visited this site in almost a month.

4 hours ago, DocBlake said:

Man doesn't live by everyday life alone, Brian!  ;)

True, but I never said that it was 'everyday life' keeping me from doing stuff with boats.  Combination of work, other hobbies that currently have my attention, and a GF who lives in another country so I'm spending a fairly significant amount of time traveling and not being here!

I do want and intend to get back to the ship-building, but don't have a timeline for it.