HMS Victory 1:72 with sails or not?

yangliyuan

Hi, all

Recently, I bought a 1:72 HMS Victory from Caldercraft and realised it does not include sails. I know that modelers do not want any sail as it can interfere the view on riggings. However, if I really want to include hand-made sails in my ship, will it largely diminish the rigging details? Did anyone try to include sails on Victory before? Or I just stupid to have sails. Or what kind of condition of sails is the best? rolled-up or stretched.

Welcome any comment. Thanks, guys.

post-23835-0-20039500-1460434175_thumb.jpg

I am about to put sails on my frigate 'Boston'.

I don't usually put sails on but this is for someone else so i don't have a choice. They will be furled so as to show as much rigging as possible. I'm using silkspan which is a kind of tissue used to cover model aircraft as I find cotton etc. too thick and over scale.

Keep an eye on my build log below, and I'll put up some photos to show the progress. 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12369-frigate-boston-by-overdale/page-1

Dan.

Edited by overdale

Sails are definitely an option and it's your option.    :)    There's lots of choices and yes, many builders do put on sails.   Go to the Kit Build area and search on "Victory"... there's all varieties of methods.

As a primer, go to the article database on masts and sails here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-rigging-and-sails.php There's a primer by John Tilley.  It is an old article so not all the links work, however.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I just made my first ship with rigging and sails. The box shows them some what furled, but I wanted to to try the full blown efect. 

The way it turned out it does hide some of the rigging when looking from the front, when you look from the sides you can see the rigging and more details.

I find that a ship with full blown sails very majestic.

If losing detail is you concern you can always have the sails just starting to furl. Or have the top sails full and the bottom sails starting to furl.

One more thing to think about is at the scale you are woking with you should have more room to work with sails. Mine was 1:90 scale, so things were a little tight.

On the other hand, if this is your first ship, you may want to take things a little easy. From what I understand you have a great kit.

Now if it were me, I would go full tilt, because the Victory is a very majestic ship.

Hope you do a build log, I would like to follow your progress. If you do, send me a PM so I can follow your log.

Joe

Joe got me thinking.   Some builders will do full sails and blowing in the wind... except for the fore and main course which will be brailed up as they would be during battle.    :)    Frolich in his "The Art of Ship Modeling" shows one where the yards and sails are set as to keep the ship stopped in place while loading and/or unloading the ship's boats.   A variety of ways....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I just made my first ship with rigging and sails. The box shows them some what furled, but I wanted to to try the full blown efect. 

The way it turned out it does hide some of the rigging when looking from the front, when you look from the sides you can see the rigging and more details.

I find that a ship with full blown sails very majestic.

If losing detail is you concern you can always have the sails just starting to furl. Or have the top sails full and the bottom sails starting to furl.

One more thing to think about is at the scale you are woking with you should have more room to work with sails. Mine was 1:90 scale, so things were a little tight.

On the other hand, if this is your first ship, you may want to take things a little easy. From what I understand you have a great kit.

Now if it were me, I would go full tilt, because the Victory is a very majestic ship.

Hope you do a build log, I would like to follow your progress. If you do, send me a PM so I can follow your log.

Joe

Thank you for your comment. I did order the 1:72 sails online and would use full sails streched on my ship. However, I may not have time to open a full log. After I finished my kit, I will definitly upload many photos of details.

• 8 months later...

Sails are definitely an option and it's your option.    :)    There's lots of choices and yes, many builders do put on sails.   Go to the Kit Build area and search on "Victory"... there's all varieties of methods.

As a primer, go to the article database on masts and sails here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-rigging-and-sails.php There's a primer by John Tilley.  It is an old article so not all the links work, however.

Anyone interested in hobbies runs into this all the time - the solution is the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. You just go back as far as you need to until you find snapshots with the information you want. I used it while reading that exact article a few weeks ago, had no issues finding good versions of all the sites and info he recommends.

Many people leave the sails off and are happy with the bare pole look but I always prefer sails on any model and all my models have them. But it's a lot of work and adds a lot of time to the entire build. Also if you want sails you should UNDERSTAND sails: if you put sails on you will likely also need to understand the running rigging and all the lines the sails use and this is a significant amount of information to process. Another problem is finding the documentation. I was surprised tha I couldn't find a decent sail plan for HMS Victory already available online, she's such a famous ship I had assumed there would be a lot of sail diagrams to chose from but I would up having to buy more books.

Rigging sails on a schooner is comparatively easy but a big square Rigged ship is going to tax your patience so you have to mentally prepare yourself for a lot more work.

Niagara USS Constitution