canoe21

HMS Bounty by canoe21 [ Lawrence ] - Scratch build - scale 1:60

797 posts in this topic

Hi Ship Mates

I have decided to build the HMS Bounty as my next build, she was such a beautiful ship to see and watching her sail out of Halifax, Nova Scotia a few years ago still remains very vivid in my mind even to this day even though she was very foolishly lost in Hurricane Sandy a few years ago. I have been caught up in home house work now for a couple of months and am almost caught up with these tasks. wanted to do a little yard work today but rain and snow changed my mind, so I thought this would be a good time to start my new build log on the HMS Bounty.

Been looking over my Amati plans for about a month now and yesterday I scanned the Keel and hull frames, and cut them out. Today I glued them on to my 3/16" or 4.77 mm plywood in preparation to be cut out a little later on my scroll saw. I have been looking to start my HMS Bounty by the end of the month,                                                                                              ENJOY

Regards   Lawrence   

post-302-0-73726900-1461686058_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-32596700-1461686075_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-97658600-1461686097_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-38867100-1461686119_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-92689900-1461686157_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-59406700-1461686176_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-92586900-1461686204_thumb.jpg

Current Build - HMS Bounty   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13322-hms-bounty-by-canoe21-lawrence-scratch-build-scale-160/

Completed Build  -  African Queen, Bill. B588, Scale 1:12  - http://modelshipworl...-588-scale-112/

Completed Build  Annie M Parker   -     http://modelshipworl...150/?p=273687 

Completed Build - HMS Victory by canoe21 (Lawrence) - AL - Scale 1:84  - http://modelshipworl...e-al-scale-184/  

Completed Build - Cutty Sark by Canoe21 Lawrence - Billings Kit, Scale 1:75 

Completed Build  Bluenose 11 by Canoe21 Lawrence, AL Kit , Scale 1:75

Hi Lawrence

Count me in as well! I've previously built a miniature dockyard version of the Bounty from AOTS plans, so I know first hand what a little beauty the Bounty is.

I'm looking forward to following along.

Cheers

Patrick

dadodude, Canute, mtaylor and 3 others like this

Hi Lawrence!

Beautiful Project you are starting.

Just one thing i'd like to say. The 1960's replica you show in the first photos, was a little bit larger than the real HMS Bounty that MkKay and Amati represent on their plans.

That was because on the shooting of the film Mutiny on the Bounty (M.Brando, T.Howard), they needed more space to the sets of the film, so they decided to make the replica a Little more longer and wider than the 18th century Bounty.

The other replica, the one made for the film with A.Hopkins and Mel Gibson, on 1984, was made with the real dimensions.

Unfortunatly there are no original plans of the 1960's replica, to follow, so we, inloved ship modellers of that Bounty, will always have to research a lot for building a good model. Unless there is a source to discover........

I'll be watching these project very closely, looking forward to follow your progress.

If you need anything just let me know.

Cheers.

Giorgio.

I have pictures of my son standing next to her wheel that visit. I must admit he was somewhat reluctant to pose but I have always loved her double rimmed helm. I hope to build one simliar for my boat one day. I'll be checking in here to see your progress.

Cheers,

Daniel

Hi everybody!

As far as i can see, there are a lot of Bounty lovers out there!

If i can make a comment, the versión of the Bounty replica i liked the most is the one on the movie The Treasaure Island, of 1991, with C.Bale and Ch.Heston.

It has some differences with the 1960's versión that makes it more interesting.

Hope to see same pictures soon.

Ciao!!

Hi Ship Mates

I thank you all very much for all of your very kind words and your overly nice comments, also for your all of your support in my new build of the HMS Bounty. Well I do have my yard work well under control with around 1 hour left to do, but it is raining here to day so I can spend a bit more time in the old ship yard. This week I have sawed out and sanded the keel frame and all of the hull frames and given them a touch up on the belt sander. I did run across a bit of a set back as the ply wood that I ordered for this job was 3/16" or 5mm and my planes hah the slots of 4mm or .156" and that left me with a lot of extra wood to clean up, how ever I believe that the 3/16" ply wood dose a better job than the 4mm but that is only my opinion.

Today I remover the paper from my frames and dry fitted them all together, so now I can start to line and square them all up and the fun is about to begin,                                                                     ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

post-302-0-42213900-1462117843_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-48642900-1462117858_thumb.jpg 

post-302-0-94287700-1462117874_thumb.jpg

Aussie048, egkb, riverboat and 20 others like this

Hello Lawrence,

Even though the picture at the head of this post is that of Charlene, my admiral, this is coming from me, Jerry.  I'm really so glad to see that you have finally jumped in with both feet and have made some serious progress on the hull of your Bounty.  You are obviously very talented in scratch building and with all the followers of your blog anxiously awaiting your progress I wish you the best.  From what I can see from your pictures your work is as good as usual and I know you are going to end up with a fantastic model.  I look forward to your continuous excellent work.  I know Charlene joins me in wishing you much success.

Best,

Jerry

Shipyard sid, mtaylor, cog and 8 others like this

Hi Lawrence

The frames and keel (dry fiitted) looks good. Congrats on reaching this milestone. I reckon she's gonna look great.

Lots of work to go, but you'll no doubt, do a damn fine job.

All the best

Patrick

Hi Ship Mates

Once again I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my new build log on the HMS Bounty, for all of your very kind and encouraging words and overly nice comments. Also for your likes. Well yesterday it rained all day here so the little fellows and I got to spend a lot of time in the old ship yard. We clamped the keel in the old strong back and glued in and fitted all of the hull frames and it has dried over night and now I can remove the strong back and attach all of those little build up frames to the keel. We also cut out the lower deck by the mane mast and planked it in cherry wood that I cut om my new Byrnes table saw, this little saw is unbelievable in it's ability to cut very thin strips. I cut my decking planks out of cherry wood at .020" or 0.5 mm x 3/16" or 4 mm this it cut very easily with no rip out at all. I also cut a test strip at .06 mm that is thinner than paper with no trouble at all, just what I could with that I do not know but it is nice to know that I am able to cut any size wood that I may need in my model ship building. This takes a lot of strain off in not having to order a lot of just in case sizes of wood,                                                                            ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence 

post-302-0-98810000-1462201130_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-81929000-1462201154_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-11438800-1462201178_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-57033400-1462201196_thumb.jpg

Canute, riverboat, rtropp and 22 others like this

sorry I'm late to the party Lawrence........I saw that you were planning on tackling this one ;)   I see that your off to a very good start.....nice frame  :)  

looking forward in following your progress!

canoe21, Elijah, Canute and 5 others like this

Hey Lawrence, just now catching up after a few weeks of other activities.  Hope there is a spot left over for me to share in the fun.  Nice progress.

Cheers,

Elijah, mtaylor, Canute and 4 others like this

Hi Ship Mates

I wish to thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log an the HMS Bounty. Please stop by often as you will find the door to the old ship yard is always open, your words and comments are always welcome and I always am looking for any suggestion you may have to make, as I am not afraid of reworks at all they are just part of the joys of model ship building., and also for your likes.

Back in the old ship yard the little fellows and I have been going many ways at once or it seams that way, we have flared the hull and deck., added all of those little reinforcements parts to the keel and also to the stern. We found one frame that was on the small size,  my planes were not correct so we shimmed it out , no big deal, we also found a couple of places on the plans that had to be corrected but all and all these plans are rather good but not perfect.The little fellows and I also built out the bow area with balsa, but we did not completely fill in this area but just enough to give the hull planks a bit of support and to try and keep her shape true to form.

We have also dry fitted the deck plywood and also three masts, I am rather pleased at just how well this little ship is going together, having plans like these makes things so very easy, compared to the Annie M. Parker my Great Grand Fathers fishing schooner or is it just that I am gaining just a we bit of learning experience. But then I know for sure that this beautiful little sailing ship will have a lot of surprises in store for me and my little fellows,                                                      ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

post-302-0-38135600-1462396089_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-02365300-1462396109_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-42300000-1462396134_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-16711500-1462396151_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-81437300-1462396172_thumb.jpg