la Couronne by francisb - Corel

P1000297.thumb.JPG.4d9add8df619e327ea61436ba9e0edf6.JPGa few photos of my progress been busy with other things! Have stuck mainly to the instructions as I am not great at kit bashing just enjoy the actual building even if its not very accurate,I think the flags look awful so may well leave them off when I reach that stage,

post-21503-0-98626800-1461943957_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-14726000-1462455765_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-08842200-1462455823_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-84304800-1463757565_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-48278300-1463757617_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-12832900-1464108162_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-26941000-1465328132_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-16544800-1465328182_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-57661500-1466011037_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-86272200-1466011084_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-79086200-1468340972_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-23965200-1468341015_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-65594400-1468341054_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-13343500-1471363785_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-73638700-1471363823_thumb.jpg

post-21503-0-89970600-1471363857_thumb.jpg

P1000295.JPG

P1000296.JPG

Edited by francisb

Looks like you are off to a good start. Yes, the lack of available pictures of this ship is frustrating. In addition to my own build here is a link to another good build of la Couronne on here. This is the Mantua version but is still a good guide as many of the elements of construction and of course the overall shape and design is the same.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1022-la-couronne-by-majq-mantua-198/ 

I have used it extensively for ideas on how to build and especially for decorative ideas.

One thing you may consider doing is replacing the kit supplied wood with better quality when you do your hull planking. What came in mine I used for the wales up and the decking but for the lower hull I used wood from Crown Timberyard ans I am very glad I did.

I will follow along and watch your progress as I am excited to see another Couronne being built. Good luck!! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Mark, yes I had a lot of modifying to do to get that deck to fit. Below is a picture of how mine currently sits. In the first fittings I had to enlarge the forward openings and basically had to double the size of the aft ones as there was no way to make the precut ones fit. However, even after all that I finally decided that I did not like the way the ribs looked due to their huge size. The hull is not that thick to encompass them at that size and they are not supposed to show on deck so I cut them off. When I finally install this deck I will plank over the holes and add an interior plank along the hull to thicken the hull properly. I'm going to be cutting down a lot of the ribs where they come through as they are not the correct size to be part of the framing.

post-22933-0-85483400-1461963722_thumb.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I see you have started your log! Good job so far, and good luck!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Mine also came stained for me but thanks you for sharing that paint mixture to try out. I have been looking at different shades of blue to use for my S.R. build. I like the look of the stained wood that came in my Couronne build and was trying to think of how to match it. That will be worth giving a try!

Also, yes! Please update your log! I have been wondering how you were coming along on it and hoping you had not given up. Looking forward to those new pictures! :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 1 month later...

Hi as you can see I have stuck very much to the kit instructions so nothing very original or historically accurate! But it pleases me! At the moment I am struggling with  the masting ,not impressed with the plans and measurements given still will keep at it, will post some more pics later ,by the way have looked at your build log FANTASTIC!! Really like your tops ,you have great skills

P1000101.JPG

P1000102.JPG

Hi yes you are right,also with the channels either the shrouds would be in the way or the chain links would interfere with the gunport lids, there seems to be many contradictions in this kit ,struggling with this one even though I have built the Bounty and years ago the small Mantua Victory and the Panart Cutty Sark both of which my brother managed to sell for me!!Have been given the HMS Pegasus kit for my 65th! At least the instructions look good! best wishes from Mark

You are doing a great job! She is looking very nice and well built. Asfar as sticking to the kit design, there is nothing wrong with that. You will still have yourself a very nice model and can still be proud of your work. 

As as to the placement of pintails, channels, chain plates, shrouds and rigging, no, the locations did not always make sense at least to us with a more knowledgeable perspective. However, during the early 17th century, large ship construction, especially for war ships, was still in its infancy. It would be another century before they really figure out the science behind it and begin to perfect the designs. At this particular time it is mostly guess work and trial and error. Emphasis on the error. We now have the advantage of looking at successful designs such as the Victory and Constitution but they were just building off what experience and knowledge that particular ship builder had. The mathematics were not yet formulated and there was no way to test out a design until it was built at which point you hoped it worked! 

I have questioned many things about the design of the ship. So far what I have learned is that many things don't make sense. To make matters worse, there is very little historical information about her and the way she looked seems to vary greatly probably due in large part to refurbishing as her career went on. Dates and records have been lost to time. 

Do do the best you can and ask questions. I can tell you what I have done so far. As to dimensions, most of mine I have taken from the 1:1 scale drawing that came with the kit. Then tweeked as needed! 😀

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart