HMS Sovereign of the Seas by RedDawg - Model Space - Scale 1:84 - 17th century

Well here goes my first attempt at a build log. I've built a few wood models before this, but this is my first major build. I like the idea of a subscription option. It makes it possible for me to do a high end kit such as the Sovereign. As I go along there will be some changes made. I like the look of the unpainted wood on the sides of the ( bulwarks)? Of the poster that they send with the first issue. I will also add the triangle deadeyes as seen on the poster. I read somewhere that that ship is not the actual model that I will build, but that is ok with me. Watching the builds of so many others opens up my imagination to do more than just build right out of the box. I've already dipped my foot in the water with scratch building before. I was a member of IPMS back in my plastic days. Then I received my first wooden ship. The Blunose. Much fun and the start of a whole new experience. As I read the builds of others I'm pleased to be apart of the family. Thanks post-24388-0-37010900-1462308358_thumb.jpeg

I figure that today I'll run out of bamboo planking material. So then I'll go on and work on the ships boat. Ive Also got a scratch build of a design out of my imagination that needs more planking, that will keep me busy. Good thing that my wife loves and and approves of my hobby. Because I tend to disappear each evening into my Boatcave.

Looks fun! I like the name "the boat cave" :D!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

I've received the Fifty Gun Ship book with the plans in the back. But on one of the Leopard build forums it was said that the NMM could provide a better set of plans. It looks to be an interesting scratch build to play with as I build the sovereign. I have an unlimited supply of laminate beams and pine to practice with. Before I order good hard wood. Does anyone have advice for me?

Does anyone have advice for me?

Have fun, above all else.   ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It is a fun hobby. I even enjoy the planking and especially the rigging. The Thermopylae by Sergal was a test of patience and imagination. Their rigging sheet left a lot to the imagination. I still need to do the rat lines. Some of the deadeyes fell apart, and there was not enough to begin with. So when I order the triangle deadeyes for the Sovereign I will order them for the Thermopylae also. Then I'll put up pics of my rigging of the Thermopylae and give y'all a good laugh at my handy work.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is a couple of pics from my Sovereign build. My wife and myself are still learning the ends and outs of how to post. I feel that I'm about to reach a mile stone in my build . The lower hull is almost complete. Then I'll start up the sides. I figure this part will be a bit easier. Part of what slows me down is that I've never cared to nail through the planking. I tend to nail next to each strip at the bulkheads then bend the nailhead a over.Tomorrow I'll finish the bottom. As one of the posts quote, If your in a hurry,it's not a hobby.As I was telling my Admiral, when I start the scratch builds I will need to by small nails by the pound. By the way where do y'all get get all the cool emoticons?

Edited by RedDawg

Ah... emoticons...  Hit the little smiley face at the top of the posting window.  It'll load a bunch below the posting window.   There's also a bit of light writing about "show all" that opens a pop up with more. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

This to me is a milestone. The majority of the planking is done. The work that I did on the Thermopylae and Constellation was easy compared to planking the Sovereign, with bamboo. I'm still debating on using a different wood for the upper second planking.something just a little thicker and a little lighter in color. Plus looking at the trenailing that I've seen makes me want to do this.

post-24388-0-60910000-1464916147_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedDawg

The planking of the first layer is complete. Now for the tedious job of sanding has started. I have learned the hard way that when fairing the hull not to believe that the first fitting is enough. There were many areas that as I planked turned out to be low or high. Plus trusting the frames to be correct in there fitting in reguards to each other will be checked more thoroughly next time. Still this is a great build and the problems I created in my own lack of knowing still just adds to part of the overall accomplishment. Tonight movies on my tablet and sanding on my ship. Life is good. Have fun. Mike

Congratulations on completion of the first layer. Looks great. Now for the second. On the first layer I nail through the planks. But the second is held in place by drawing pins inserted next to the plank and the plastic bit holding the plank down. Good luck with the sanding.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

The first post I forgot to attach the files with the pictures, so here they are. Also when I make toys for children I always counter sink the hardware. And I always made my own filler out of the sawdust created. So I've been saving most of my bamboo sawdust to try out as filler here. It dries out really hard but so far do not know how well I will like it for ship modeling. I want to find some os that filler called plastic wood I believe to try out. See y'all. Mike. On the lighter side here's my little buddy who always keeps me company.

post-24388-0-72298800-1465090675_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-33651200-1465090766_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-66425200-1465090846_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-25802300-1465090934_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedDawg

Just caught up on your build. She is looking good and you definitely have the saw dust flying! Good plan on saving the dust for filler later. It is always nice to have some laying around especially for small areas. I will follow along with your build and look forward to seeing her come together.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

• 2 months later...

Mike,

That look familiar to me  :D  :D

When you are drawing the first line ,be sure that you have the middle of the frame !

This is where I go wrong the first time.

Then I think it the best thing to use is a compass to get 2 mm on each side .

Of course.....read the book carefully !!!!!!!!!!!

Between the gun ports there is coming a line of 5 mm......and take a good look where you put the bottom of the gun port !

Then for the upper gun ports that comes into the bulwark.

I will dry fit the deck.

Take 2 pieces of wood that support to be there ( deck planking and a waterway)

Same thickness as needed when you are planking the deck.

Make one canon compleet with the wheels.

Then you can figure out where the gun ports has to go .

I hope you understand what I mean.

Otherwise you will telling me that  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sjors, thanks for the advice. As you can see I have drawn my lines and gun ports. It took me two tries before it was correct. The very upper ports do not look right to me. I will do as you suggest and fit my cannons first and see how they line up. Then I will proceed. My dad came over yesterday to checkout my ships. It's nice to se his amazement at my work.

post-24388-0-88748600-1472696697_thumb.jpg

These layouts are always nerve racking to me as so much relies on it being correct. The canons help a lot to make sure things are right. Looks like you are off to a good start!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Mike,

I'm sorry to say but you are right.....top gun ports are to high......sorry !

When I take a look at mine, they are at least 5 mm from the top.

And the measurements between the top row and the row at the bottom ( third row )  I have 35 mm

That's the underside of the gun port at the top and the upper side of the gun port at the third row.

Those gun ports are the ones that are above and below the door.

Between the door and gun port I have 10 mm......( measurement also top and bottom )

So back to the drawing table please.

And don't do it today because it's your birthday !!!!!!!!!

Happy birthday and make a wonderful day of it.

Also from Anja 

Any questions???? just ask  :D  :D

Sjors

Yeah Sjors I did not like the look of things so I stopped and went to bed. I have a four day weekend so I'm going to go back over everything till it's right. This is to nice a build to not invest whatever time it takes. And the reason I have four days is my boss gave me Friday for my birthday. So sawdust and puppies. And with the measures you gave me I'll compare to mine to see how far off I'm. Thanks for the advice. Mike

Well besides growing older, birthdays have other uses. My wife got me another piece for my Boatcave, and pop gave me a Dremel kit. Does anyone know what the long silver contraption does? Now to get other goodies. Plus my cake loaded with lots of different chocolate. Till later Mike.

post-24388-0-58525100-1472770091_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-03017100-1472770210_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-72477700-1472770826_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedDawg

Happy Birthday!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Happy birthday! This is why i wish to have the birthday more often. Let's say once a month.. or once a week. :D

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

• 1 month later...