THE 74 GUN SHIP Pratical Treatise of Naval Art 1780

Does anyone of You can give me some information about books and publishing Ancre? I'm interested in exactly 4 volumes edition of "THE 74 GUN SHIP Pratical Treatise of Naval Art 1780".

I will try slowly to build a sailing ship Fleuron 1729. I will be basing on the monograph Ancre, but there are a lot of things to explanations. Hence my question whether this release 4-volume edition is worth so much money? Is the books will enable me to obtain the necessary and clear most important information which i needed to build Fleuron (especially vol. 1-3)?

I'll be grateful for any information on this subject?

Alternatively, what else can You suggest me in the other items that will be helpful in building this model?

I too have purchased the series with a view to (one day) build the Fleuron (amongst others).  Having only had a quick look, I believe that it has been worth spending the money on these books.  The combined knowledge will definitely aid me to build an accurate version of the ship(s).

Good luck, and Slainte

Peter

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

Hi Mike K,

I think, your better bet would be with the monograph on Le Fleuron by G. Delacroix rather than the 4 volumes on the 74 gun ship by J. Boudriot. Different ships, rates and a bit different times (besides one volume would cost you much less than four of them).

I don't own this monograph  http://ancre.fr/en/monographies-en/55-monographie-du-fleuron-vaisseau-de-64-canons-1729.html?search_query=Le+Fleuron&results=2#/langue-anglais  but I do have those 4 volumes on the 74 gun ship (in fact I am in the midst of building the 1:48 model based on the works of Boudriot) and I have to tell you that this type of project is strictly for the most experienced modelers, with several other models behind their belt, so to speak. The build is extremely complex and "complicated", you have to have many different power tools, good quality materials and an appropriate space (workshop) for your endeavour. You need to be able to read some very complicated plans and perspective drawings. And be prepared to spend several years of intensive work to complete your model, if you want to build it faithfully to the plans. The French are famous for complicating the matters, they used elaborate wood joints, scarphs, profuse decorations... Ouchhhh... I am sweating bullets already with my 74!

And Le Fleuron seems to be even more complicated!!!

Even more importantly, you have to have a very patient and understanding wife, who will not mind you spending more time with your model than with her!    ;)

I have in excess of 300 photographs from various stages of construction of this awesome model (LF) in 1:64 scale, by one of the Japanese modelers - if you decide for sure you want to tackle this project, I could send them to you (CD), that is, if you want them, off course. I would need at least your home email address for that, however. Send me a private message, if you are interested, OK?

I attach below one of the pics of this model. The upper section (above the main wale) can be raised with a push of the red button, to visualize the interior of the hull. Awesome!!!

As far as the French "Ancre", I have ordered a few things from them in the past. They are a reputable company, but since Mr. Berti now seems to be the only person taking the orders (J. Boudriot is deceased now), it sometimes takes a while to actually receive your books (depending where you live). One therefore has to be patient.

Happy modeling!    :)

post-6975-0-60934800-1462501327_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dziadeczek

Thank You Marc (i sent You PM).

Thank You Dziadeczek. I realize how hard it is to build Fleuron, because I bought this plans. I have just started to study it and that is the reason of my earlier questions.

Thank you for those comments. Additional materials are indeed necessary and with pleasure I seeing the pictures that You have on the CD.

As for wife, it is probably not a problem (i'm still single :D )

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

MIke K

I agree with Gaetan's take on this subject. You might also want to take a look at Gaetan's latest build.

In respect of your query on metrics David Robert's in his translator notes of a number of the late Jean Boudriot's books observes "that all measures are given in French units of measure - feets inches pounds and so on, which are approximately 10% greater than their corresponding English measures. Where appropriate, the metric equivalents are given in square brackets."

You might want to get an app that I and a number of others on this site have found useful called model scaler by Woodland Science.

Happy modelling

Alan

Gentlemen, thank you for additional information about literature.

Metric is one of the fundamental issues in the construction of the model. Last year I bought among other things, the book Architectura Navalis Mercatoria written by Fredrik Henrik af Chapman. Amazing book. I can personally recommend it each of You.

About Blaise Ollivier Traité de construction 1736, I must take look closer this literature position.

Once again, thank You for loot of interesting information.

You might look into Les Editions du Petit Vincent : Reedition d’ouvrages a l’ancienne. http://www.editions-petit-vincent.com/  owned and operated by Herve Sasso, who is also the webmaster for Gerard Delacroix’s  Marine et Modelisme d’Arsenal.

He has beautifully bound, full size and complete, transcriptions/reprints of Ollivier’s Traite de Construction (somewhat expensive) as well as smaller sized paper bound versions that are very reasonably priced (~45.00 Eur).

The main transcription work is by Gerard Delacroix who published his monograph of Fleuron after careful study of Ollivier’s text. I think Gaeten Bordeleau is right – you will probably need this.

John

• 2 weeks later...
TIMBERING PLANS THE 74-GUN SHIP The 11 timbering plans (1/72 or 1/48)  with a color 24-page booklet with a series of photographs illustrating the implementation of the framework.

The essential complement to your 4 volumes

http://ancre.fr/en/ouvrages-de-base-en/73-plans-de-la-charpente-du-v74-canons.html

Two possibilities of substitution of decoration are offered: the 1782 CENTAURE and the 1785 SUPERBE.

Ancre now produce the above for the 4 volume book Le Vaisseau de 74 Canons - it is available in English, French and Italian in 1/72 and 1/48 scale.

Hubert Berti who produced the Ancre books has died and the Publisher is now run by his son, D Berti. We are greatly indebted to both Jean Boudriot who has also died, and Hebert Berti for the production of these books. The collection is of great historical importance. Many of the books in the collection were written by them.

Bob.