HMS Diana by realworkingsailor (Andy) - Caldercraft - 1:64

Update time! Hooray!

Planking continues slowly and steadily on the starboard side. The second layer of the wale has been added, my first attempt at top and butt (anchor stock). You can just see the shape of the planks through the black paint. I used castello boxwood for the second layer, which was a pleasure to work with. Having the black strake 0.5mm proud of the surrounding planking gave a nice line for the first strake to butt up against.

Below the wales, I've carried on using the kit supplied walnut planking. It is incredibly splintery, Caldercraft must supply some other variety of walnut from that supplied by Amati (go figure). It works after a fashion, and doesn't look too bad. Most of it will be coppered anyway, and I find the the colour contrast to the castello appealing. Also, because the kit supplied planks are also about 1m long, cutting them down to more manageable lengths has made things a lot easier when it comes to bending and tapering, it also makes it easier to get a nice fit and finish where the planks meet the stem and stern counter.

Anyway, that's about it for now

Andy

post-34-0-05071300-1485017259_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-36762400-1485017283_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-85260200-1485017308_thumb.jpg

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

welcome back Andy!   looking super  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It's great to see an update, Andy.   She's look quite super.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice planking job Andy.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Andy,

Nice to see you back - just saw your updates looking nice indeed. Will also add my name to your shipyard bench.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 1 month later...

the SPLINTERS..........:blink:

Yet another small update. Planking on the starboard side is almost finished, no more walnut for a while. Just a few remaining strakes on the upper works, but I will leave that for now,I don't want the unguarded tops of the planks to get mashed when I'm working on the port side.

I've only given this side of the hull a rudimentary sanding as yet. Still a lot of cleaning up to do, as well as evening up the ends of the planks.

Anyway, I'm still happy with the way things worked out, not entirely happy with the kit, but that's another matter.

Hmm.... port side looks rather naked...

Andy

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Andy,

Planking looks fine to me. It's to be covered by the copperplates anyway.

I guess you mentioned it before : exchanging the supplied copperplates by Victory/Amati copperplates (according to Jason's log)  is an excellent idea. 

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

planking looks great Andy.......that's a big hull to cover ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks everyone!

Not sure how much further I may get... the first rumblings of the start of the sailing season can be heard, and the Seaway is set to open on the 20th of the month... we shall see....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

sad to hear Andy......although not unexpected.  hope you can squeeze in a little more fun time before you go ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 year later...

Hi! 

I had been picking away at it a little bit over the winter, so there has been some progress. I tended to stall every time Jason (Beef Wellington) posted an update on his build. And also a few other distractions keep getting in the way. I may get back to it when the distractions abate, and the weather turns cooler. 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

nice to hear from you Andy

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Andy just checking in to your build, I know how distractions work. thanks for looking in on my cutter also.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Andy, looking forward to some shots of your updates.  BTW....you're not the only one to stall regularly, I needed to step away myself from the shipyard and am just getting the bug to go back and continue.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

hope your doing well my friend........I've got stalled projects......take your pick  :D  :D    have you done anything with the S.S.Stadacona?  impressive project.  think of being stalled,  as a prolonged chess move  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the positive comments. My current distraction is a little more demanding of my attention (and rightly so). Her name is Freyja, she’s four months old, and she doesn’t really allow me to turn my back for a second. 

8CF2C3D7-C0C2-4F61-B108-1C0362E7DC06.thumb.jpeg.05e5573d7a10074ce12a1b0ce00ba2df.jpegAndy 

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

cute pup!  something about the pitter patter of little feet ;)   they are so much fun when they're pups!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

With all the sudden and unexpected interest, I'll throw you good folks a bit of a bone (not one of Freyja's chew bones though). I'm out of the shipyard for the near future, but I'll share a few pics of how far I managed to get with the planking. Not really too many more strakes left to go, I can't remember if it's eight or nine by my last count. The wales are done, but not fully painted, just the top and bottom edges.

And popeye, it's not so much the pitter patter of little feet.... more like the thundering footfalls of a herd of galumphing baby elephants!

Andy

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy