HM Brig Supply by Dfell - FINISHED - Caldercraft / JoTiKa - 1:64

Hi Doug,

Love your work, you are my inspiration and my reference when it comes to colours and painting of my Supply.

I was looking at your photos on the first post again today and noticed that it looks as though you varnished the entire hull before applying the white paint. Is that correct?

I wasn't sure if I should paint on the raw timber or over varnish. On a test piece I did the paint seems to take to the varnish, but would appreciate your feedback.

Andrew.

Edited by AndrewW

Current Build:

Caldercraft HM Brig Supply 

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat

Hello Andrew - Thank you very much for your kind comments and hopefully my build helps you with yours as others have done with mine.

Yes, I did spray a matt varnish on the walnut hull after finishing the sanding. Once I had the waterline marked out I masked off the top section of the hull to spray below the waterline in white. First sealed the edge of the tape (being spray up to) with varnish (hand painted, Caldercraft water based matt varnish) and sprayed a grey undercoat (sanding between coats) and then sprayed the acrylic white matt, finishing off with matt varnish. When I mask off I always seal the edge of the tape with whatever colour is underneath the tape to get hopefully a clean edge.

Have never found a problem in painting over varnish even though I water down the paint.

Hopefully this has answered your question / helped and will now go and check your Supply build as for some reason have not seen it. I always look out for Supply builds as there seems not to many about.

Regards

Doug

Completed: HM Brig Supply - JoKita / Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Fly - Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Sherborne - Caldercraft 1:64

HM Brig Flirt - Vanguard 1:64

Thanks for the detailed reply Doug. I've just spent the last 2 hours looking at all your photos and cross-referencing with the instructions and plans. It is amazing how many parts are shown on the plans and not referenced at all in the instructions other than the parts list. Thankfully your build is so clean that I can really tell how these extra part go together. Painted the first coat of red on the inside of the bulwarks today, came up pretty nice. Photos in a couple of days.

Current Build:

Caldercraft HM Brig Supply 

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat