Hobbyzone building slip for wooden ship models

Richard,

the plans and dimensions are for two variants: 60cm length/7 keel holders and 100cm length/11 keel holders but certainly can be modified.

BTW, some credits are in order, since the explanations on the plans are in Polish. This building slip is a part of group project "Baltic galeas Karl und Marie" meant as an introduction to scratch building. All the plans are available, along with sample build log by Romek Sobolewski. Original author of the building slip is Marek Mróz, the modifications and all the plans are prepared by Radek Kubera, Mirek Rybus and Jarek Bąkowski. The project was conceived somewhere in 2005, but is still very much alive - just recently several new modelers started their build logs on koga forum.

• 5 months later...

Have you checked the manufacturer... http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/ ?  They might be able to point you in the right direction to someone with stock.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Currently available at Amazon

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Brian,

That's so weird, when I double checked the website, it showed the big one....just the one I wanted.

I also had Hobby zones website open to verify the product.

I am so sorry for any inconvenience this may have triggered.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 7 months later...

I am currently building a HobbyZone Jig, and note some minor irregularities with "aydingocors" build. (Be aware...The plans supplied with the kit are printed using varying shades of very light grey. They are extremely difficult to interpret any fine detail).

I have found it far easier to visit the Hobbyzone site and look closely at the promotional pictures of the jig, to clear up any doubts.

http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/boat-building-tools/26-professional-building-slip.html

Where "aydingocors" build varies from the display model, can be seen in the attached pic. The spacer blocks should be glued to the bottom of the support bracket, to allow the bracket to be able to range over the keel supports if necessary. Also, the support brackets should be glued as shown in the pic, to allow the vertical support frame to sit fully on the base rather than overhang it slightly.

Note, the actual jig shown on the HobbyZone site appears to be a slightly different design to the instructions supplied with the kit....My intention is to use the pictures on their site as my main reference in future and proceed accordingly.

Please be aware that this is in no way meant as a criticism of "aydingocors" fine build log.....It is only meant to alert potential builders that it is possible to assemble some components incorrectly. My advice is to ...Check, double check and then check again, before assembling any of the modules.

Also of note...My kit was supplied with standard hex head bolts, rather than the socket headed cap screws as shown on the display model. I will be replacing all of the supplied hardware with stainless steel cap screws, nuts and washers. It should be far easier to use an allen key when setting up the jig, rather than a ROE (Ring/Open End). Also possibly less chance of over tightening (Spanner/Wrench slipping off the nuts etc). For the money this jig costs, I would have expected it to be supplied with SS fittings and I also have long term concerns for the MDF...particularly in humid conditions.

2017-08-15_09-30-11.png

Edited by Seahorse

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, philly777 said:

Could you please advise if this will work for ships with the keel length more than 100cm?

According to the manufacturer's specs max keel length is 100cm but there may be a degree of tolerance, though I doubt it will work with keels significantly longer than that.

Specs: http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/boat-building-tools/26-professional-building-slip.html

Current :

HMS Sphinx by Vanguard

-------------

Completed:

Orient Express Sleeping Car by Amati

Bluenose II (Artesania Latina)

Istanbul Tram - Occre

Bluenose II - Artesania Latina

Bosphorus Sandal Fishing Boat

Riva Aquarama - Amati

Titanic - Mantua

Bosphorus Fishing Boat - Tersane Model

San Juan Nepomuceno - Artesania Latina

Bluenose - Billing Boats

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2016 at 5:09 AM, WackoWolf said:

Just order it from there web site and use PayPal smart pay. Had no problems, don't know why it's not working for you. Cost me $75.95 total. When I went to the site the price was $75.95, so they must have gone up on it by $10.00, but it was free shipping.

I just checked the link and it is up to $88.95 + shipping--total would be over $100.  Hobby World USA has it for $64.99 +$13 shipping

21 minutes ago, ragove said:

i received my building slip a couple days ago.  I will depend heavily on this build log. Aydingocer's photos are much clearer than the directions.

Good luck with the build and remember to check a few posts above by seahorse where one of my mistakes in the build has been addressed. 

Regards,

Aydin

Current :

HMS Sphinx by Vanguard

-------------

Completed:

Orient Express Sleeping Car by Amati

Bluenose II (Artesania Latina)

Istanbul Tram - Occre

Bluenose II - Artesania Latina

Bosphorus Sandal Fishing Boat

Riva Aquarama - Amati

Titanic - Mantua

Bosphorus Fishing Boat - Tersane Model

San Juan Nepomuceno - Artesania Latina

Bluenose - Billing Boats

I agree with all of the comments on this blog. I also had some plan reading issues but they were minor and I was able to recover quickly. I am building Confederacy which is a big model and the building slip has been a very welcome tool. I  also use an Amati hull clamp but it proved too small for a project of this size and weight.  However, it will remains my choice for more modest sized models. I also purchased and use the paint brush stand which again is very nice. I have my shipyard in my garage in Northern Florida. Our humidity is world class in the summer and so far no issues with the MDF.

Best

Jaxboat

6 hours ago, ragove said:

I have been wondering if a few coasts of varnish on the building slip would help to clean up glue spills and the like.  Thoughts?

Varnish won't hurt.  But give some thought to a good waxing, perhaps car wax or a paste wax for wood.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know the size of the nuts and bolts included with this jig? I wanted to substitute some thumb screws, wing nuts and some longer bolts.  I thought they were #10-32 but that doesn't seem to work. I am guessing that they are metric.

Take one of the bolts and go to your Loews or Home Depot stores, in their hardware department on the wall/bin rack they have measuring jigs that will give you the exact size and thread.

31 minutes ago, ragove said:

Does anyone know the size of the nuts and bolts included with this jig? I wanted to substitute some thumb screws, wing nuts and some longer bolts.  I thought they were #10-32 but that doesn't seem to work. I am guessing that they are metric.

The theory sounds plausible, considering that the jig is designed and/or produced in Poland ;)

A bit of detective work on line and a visit to Lowes confirms that the bolts are metric M5-0.8.  The "0.8" is "pitch" and it converts to a tad under 32 threads per inch (31.75 in fact ) That's why it looked like a #10 32.  The M5 part i think refers to 5mm diameter..

The jig is turning out to be very handy.  I am trying to shape the bulkheads for planking,

Victory in the slip.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I've had one for a while and am using it for my Confederacy build. There are a number of different configurations and

applications only limited by the users imagination. It is very stable. I like it a lot.

The picture shows a base board only.20171009_195004.thumb.jpg.f6fa29e0136e074803d19ef020a01d88.jpg

Cheers, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Harley, just a word of caution. I had mine on a little table as you have shown yours, with the ends unsupported, and the ends have sagged. I have not been able to get it back the other way even after doing the reverse.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

• 2 months later...

I had to ask Hobbyzone about the small holes in end supports. See the slots on both sides of the concave piece (picture 4 in instructions)? If you need to change the height of this piece, "the slots have to be in one line with small holes on both sides, then you will know that vertical is fine", said Hobbyzone.

As for the small nails in the ziplock bag - they are included to give more strength to the snappers in picture 6.

"The spacer blocks should be glued to the bottom of the support bracket, to allow the bracket to be able to range over the keel supports if necessary." I finally understood what Seahorse wanted to say earlier - but not before I had glued them on top.. Hobbyzone sent me new parts free of charge. I would call that good customer service. The picture shows the correct setup.

hzholes.jpg

• 1 month later...

I added the side pieces shown below to mine. Just helps keep everything in line when sliding along between fixing bulkheads.

P1060824.thumb.JPG.c9ac89f15df3b2080932fb462feed8d1.JPG

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

• 4 weeks later...