rigging heart blocks

Working ion my Granado i need to attach a heart block to the bowsprit. My question is does the wide end of the heart face the spar or does the narrow or pointed end face the spar.  I googled "rigging heart blocks" and found one picture showing the wide end attached to the spar.  I just want to validate this approach.

Thanks for any advice.

Ron Gove

I won't guarantee that it's correct, but according to the plans, a practicum, and everything else I could find when I rigged the AVS, they are rigged wide-end to wide-end, so the narrow end of the lower block would be the closest end to the bowsprit.

Like this:

post-14925-0-74613300-1463259739_thumb.jpg

I won't guarantee that it's correct, but according to the plans, a practicum, and everything else I could find when I rigged the AVS, they are rigged wide-end to wide-end, so the narrow end of the lower block would be the closest end to the bowsprit.

Like this:

attachicon.gif724Forestay.jpg

Thanks!

That makes sense and in retrospect it what I did on my Essex, which I checked after posting the question. I think my best bet is to look at the complete rigging plan and see what is supposed to be rigged to this block.  The instructions have you rig all the blocks and deadeyes to the masts and spars before running lines, which is convenient, but it would help to know what the ultimate rigging is going to be.  Some where in my house is a classic text on masting and rigging ships of the seventeenth century (or something like that) but I can't find it!

ron

I think if you look -the heart shape matches the shape of the attached rigging. They are used in general for stays or shrouds with a lanyard through the eye to the attchment - in your case the sprit  - and the block is contained in a spliced loop - which is heart shaped!

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/B_S_M/Fourth_Instruction.html

059_Securing_Lanyard_of_Forestay.jpg

- lots of pics on this (rather weird ) reference

Yes, that's the way it should be. I guess I was having a brain fart. Also i found a drawing on sheet 6 of the plans that showed how this heart block fits into the overall rigging.  It pays to study ALL of the plans completely before running off willy-nilly.

ron

Tut tut ....brain fart..that's a new one on me in what way dose this function work I mean it sounds qwite sereus contion poor old you is it painful have had it checkt out. Whatever its qwite a croud turn of frase a bit nicer could be mind blank or well some thing nicer robin

don't you thinke

OxfordDictionaries.com: Brain Fart:  A temporary mental lapse or failure to reason correctly.

I didn't know how else to explain my stupidity on this issue.