Thinking things through: Planking of the gangway

One more question.

As the gangway was originally a special feature and was positioned a bit underneath the forecastle and the quarter deck it had a own planking sceme.

How was the split of fo´castle and gangway and gangway and quarterdeck handled in regards of the planking handled later on when the gangway moved onto the same level as those decks? Was there first still a split/break in the planking pattern or when did it start to be planked over as it was a single deck?

In especially I am of course interested into the handling around 1803 when the vic was recommissioned still havin a very narrow gangway?

Cheers, DAniel

PS: Please do not refer to the 1:1 model in P. ;-)

(There is a small spilt)

Edited by dafi

Since no one has offered anything, I attach below the waist detail for the frigate Euryalus.  It shows modifications made to the waist for 1803 to an earlier plan.  The note reads in part: "The Skid Beams, Flats of Qtrdeck, Forecastle & Gingerboards to be shifted into each other &c ..."

This does not settle the issue for any other ship, but it is a piece of paper from 1803 that indicates an unbroken run of planking at the waist on a RN ship.  I agree that it could be read differently, but this is my take.

Wayne

post-24-0-78602200-1464555752_thumb.jpg

Edited by wrkempson

If the gangway were continuous in level with the quarter and forecastle decking, it would make sense to have the planking continuous. There would be no reason for an athwartship seam fore and aft of the gangway.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 3 months later...

Just found this at NMM, showing the detail on the Queen Charlotte 1789 :-)

large.jpgSLR0555 Scale: 1:60. A contemporary full hull model of the three-decker 100-gun first-rate ‘Queen Charlotte’ built plank on frame in the ‘Georgian’ style. The quality and finish of the model is exceptional both in the construction and the lavish carved and painted decoration. The ‘Queen Charlotte’ was launched at Chatham Royal Dockyard in 1789 and measured 190 feet along the gun deck by 52 feet in the beam and had tonnage of 2278. She was Lord Howe’s flagship at the Battle of the First of June in 1794 and also took part in Lord Bridport’s action off Croix in 1795. She was accidentally set alight off Leghorn in 1800 with the loss of nearly 700 lives.
Date made circa 1789
Edited by dafi

Beautiful model.  I am drawn to the extra stanchion in the midline.  I presume this is to support the belfry since it is offset from the other two?

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

There are plenty of small details like the eyebolts indicating the position of the guns on the forecastle, the lying knee in the waist, the form of the channels ...

XXXDan