TurboCad or graphics display help

I am currently lurking on modeling forums while I can still get out and about, fishing but at some point I will be forced to cut back on the more active interests and focus on modeling.  I probably will never complete a model but enjoy  fiddling with it to keep my brain functioning.

With that in mind, I thought I would try to learn CAD. (TurboCad 12.)  I picked it up some years back and couldn’t draw a straight line on an angle.  The line would not be continuous but would zig zag.  Actually zig zig.  I blamed it on an old computer and just went to paper to draw what I needed. (Not modeling plans.)

I recently installed it on  much newer laptop (not high end) and sadly still get the zig zig but it made me think that I am likely overlooking some display setting on the computer or maybe in Turbocad.

This is not crucial but if someone can suggest how I can fix this I would appreciate it.

The closer you get to Canada, the more things will eat your horses. ~ T. King

John,

Most CAD programs click where you want to start and release the mouse button.. move the mouse and line should follow until you click again to set it.   Holding the mouse button down allows freehand drawing of the line.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

John,

In addition to what Mark wrote, often you klick to start a line, if you klick again, you create a point where the line "bends" or makes a turn, until you klick again. Double klick defines usually the end of the line in this sequence. To draw a straight line from A to B is often done by pressing the left mouse button down and keep it suppressed, move the mouse to the point where you want to end the line and release it. Sometimes you need to double click, but that depends on the program you are using

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

By zig-zag do you mean like this?

post-12980-0-72652600-1464553192.png

If so, this is just a function of how the program draws lines on the screen where the accuracy is around 96 pixels per inch for the screen and a lot more accurate inside the program. 

When printed, the lines should be a lot smoother.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Thank you gentlemen.

Richard, that is exactly what I tried to describe.  So the trick is to ignore it on the screen or does better hardware solve the problem?  I find it a bit distracting but it is not like there is nowhere else in the hobby where I can learn things.

I don't think better hardware will help, or probably to be more accurate it can bring problems of its own and is expensive.

A normal computer screen is 96 dpi (dots per inch) or 96 ppi (pixels per inch). 

When magnified a line will look like this:

post-12980-0-98214700-1464561317.png

Some programs will use anti-aliasing to fill in the jaggies to make the line look smoother:

post-12980-0-28236700-1464561318.png

However, a CAD program is interested in accuracy and speed, not looking good.

The only way to get smoother lines is too increase the ppi of your monitor. You can get higher ppi monitors but they're more expensive and you might need a new graphics card as well. Then you may find the software doesn't handle the higher resolution very well and suddenly icons and menus are too small to use.

When printing, the resolution will be at least 300 dpi and probably over 1200 dpi - then the jaggies will go.

I hope this helps.

Richard

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

I suggest you have a look at some Turbocad tutorials on youtube. These will give you the basics of using CAD and the reasons for doing so.

The link below is for a later version, don't upgrade, your version is more then adequate. The screen will be different though. It may be harder or easier to find what he is talking about.

TurboCAD Class 1 Orientation - YouTube

These give a very good start to learning the CAD program. You can then make a decision on whether to progress further.

CAD software has developed over the years. The help is very good, and there are low cost tutorials available.

Bob.

John,

Do a test and print out a sample.   It should a lot better than what's on the screen.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Again, thank you gentlemen.

Bob, good advice.  I will take it.

Mtaylor, you are correct.  Much better when printed.  Now I am embarrassed that I gave up on it years ago.