Triton Cross Section by RedDawg - 1:48

This is my start of the Triton Cross Section as a side build with my Sovereign. I'm going todo this build to help me learn about scratch building. I'll use this as a learning curve for when I do a complete ship. I will start with trying to use pine that I get from work. If pine does not work I'll get me some Redoak from Lowes that I found.

post-24388-0-73292800-1464615590_thumb.jpeg

I see that on the Triton build area that their is a place that shows drawings of the cross section. Is this all I need, or are there more PDFs files that are needed? Can anyone give me an answer on this? I want to plan my builds wood requirements. And to decide on what I might like to choose.

Here's the drawing area.. hopefully you'll have access:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/39-hms-triton-downloads-area/   All the drawings you need should be in there.

There's a timber list for the cross-section here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/643-triton-cross-section-timber-list/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Mark. These are what I needed. Now to take time out at lunch and after work to start cutting pieces out. So far on my 10 inch table saw I have been able to cut planks at a quarter inch by maybe a sixteenth inch with good success. But does anyone have any thoughts on Redoak or poplar as these were the only two I found at Lowes.

Edited by RedDawg

Red oak has some coarse grain to it. Poplar is better, but has some grain coloring to it. If you can pick through the poplar to minimize the coloring, it's a nice wood. Works OK.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Well here is a small addition to my Triton. Today I began cutting pieces out of #1dense pine. Being a carpenter all my wood is free. Plus my boss gave me a contractors grade 10 inch table saw. Only problem is no garage yet. Next year my gal and myself are looking to buy a house. My one requirement is a garage for all of my toys. No cars allowed.post-24388-0-64066000-1464914473_thumb.jpeg

Hi Alde, my luck at my first cut because the blade and me were not in agreement over what I wanted. Still I've only just begun. I figure on a good bit of pieces to the proverbial scrap pile. Now when I put my hand to a full scratch build I'm going to choose some real nice wood to play with. Good building. Mike

The other day I downloaded the plans for the Triton cross section. While going through them and marking the pieces for reference, I found two -O- patterns. All but the one that is 16 cm wide are 21 cm. What is the correct width of the scale drawings before I start cutting any wood?

post-24388-0-65434000-1465169698_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-35058900-1465169845_thumb.jpg

Hmm.... both scales match?   Didn't mix up cross-section and full-build frames?   I'm not sure.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Today I have a little to show on the Triton.my five dollar garage sale scroll saw did not last long. But my pop had one that he gave to me. At first I did not like it at all. The hold down bracket was to big for this kind of work. So as nesessity is the mother of invention, imagination and jury rigging come in handy. I also went hunting a source for hard woods. I finally found a place where I can get several varieties of wood. From one inch to six inch thick. Good enough for my builds. The fun continues. Mike

post-24388-0-24344600-1466470346_thumb.jpeg

post-24388-0-27821300-1466470600_thumb.jpeg

Well trial and error are what increases knowledge and skill. I thought that pine would be usable, but that was a failure. So the scrap pile grows. I tried poplar this time. Alittle soft but looks like it will do. Here is my first set of frames.

post-24388-0-72191200-1466562816_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedDawg

RedDawg,

Google is your friend...   :)   I found this one quickly.. http://www.modelshipmaster.com/products/pirate/Queen_Anne's_Revenge_blackbeard.htmbut the price is rather high.

There was a plastic kit by Revell that shows up on Ebay regularly. 

Dig through Google a bit, there might be more.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been awhile since I posted, but the work goes on. Learning from this cross section makes me glad that I chose this instead of a full scratch build. I look forward to more tools to add to my collection. Still this is fun with a since of accomplishment. I milled a bunch of wood today for other areas of the build. Now I feel that a little quicker progress is ahead. Till later Michael

post-24388-0-76711100-1468111335_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-00762300-1468111363_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-30327000-1468111834_thumb.jpg

Micheal, that is looking fantastic. I'm catching up with you with only 3 frames left to build. I will update my log with pictures very soon. I am looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Edited by alde

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Looking good, Micheal.  A little fairing and she'll be all right and proper.

Ah.. deck beams...  two choices unless you have access to a laser cutter... either cut them with a scroll saw/band saw, or soak, heat/steam, and bend.  That's about your only options. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well I've gotten a little more done on my Triton. The RedOak that I got from Lowes is a bit grainy. But overall so far I like the look. I'm going to use more of the poplar for the floor framing. I've seen where some of what I've done may not be quite right, but it is still coming along. Next month I get to play with the Sovereign somemore. NMBrook has given me some ideas in that area. Just by taking time to look through the builds of others makes me a better builder. Not a master yet but on my way. Thanks y'all for the lessons learned and the pure enjoyment of your work. Michael

post-24388-0-34270100-1468713855_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-82030400-1468713897_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-22652000-1468713928_thumb.jpg

Wow, you are just cruising along and doing a fine job of it at that. I'm making little bits of progress but I don't think I will catch up. I'm glad it's not a race.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED