Niagara by Dave B - Model Shipways - 1:64

Another Niagara build log....

I'm Dave, from Columbia, Missouri.  This is my fourth ship model project.  My first, the Marseille by Mamoli, I built about 30 years ago and it turned out well for my first kit.  Then I started the USS Constitution kit by Mamoli when I was in my 20's and got frustrated  and put it away (it's still in my closet).  I didn't build any more ship kits until I bought this Niagara kit 13 years ago.  After planking the hull and deck I again got sidetracked as our children were born and I put it away.  In the past few years I have completed two kits, both with the help of Bob Hunt's practicums, his Halifax kit and also the Kammerlander Duke William kit and I think these both turned out nicely.  Of course, there were step by step instructions so it was easy to just follow along and produce a good result.  So a couple months ago I decided to try a bigger challenge and complete my Niagara kit.

I have been trying to get some good photos and I'm having some trouble getting them to look as good as I want but here are a few, showing where I'm at currently.

I have benefitted from all the other Niagara build logs here, so thanks everyone for your assistance.  Patrick suggested I do a build log so here goes.

My main issue at this time is that the instructions don't really provide a lot of guidance as to the order to do the various steps in the masting and rigging.  I'm hoping I have done everything I should before starting on them.

I have done the rough shaping of all the masts and yards and I think I will continue to refine these and try to make them look like the plans show with all the various little parts attached to them.  So that's what I'm working on now.

I happily welcome any comments and suggestions!

Dave B

post-700-0-58869200-1364133868.jpg

post-700-0-24353800-1364133881.jpg

post-700-0-51082500-1364133890.jpg

post-700-0-14926700-1364133899.jpg

Dave Barnard

Current build: HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models)

On hold: Niagara (Model Shipways), Constitution (Mamoli)

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Duke William (Kammerlander)

Halifax (Lauck Street Shipyard)

Dave, I'm happy to see a build log for you Niagara. Your ship looks great and incredibly clean. I can't wait to see some updates.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I am working on the jib boom and flying jib boom parts.  The plans show two of something called a "dumb sheave" at the ends of each of these.  The plans appear to show (in the close up view) that these refer to a hole and/or slot through the part, vertically.  One looks like it is right at the end, kind of a vertical groove in the end of the part, with the other dumb sheave being a hole just before the end.  Is this correct?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Barnard

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

On the nose! I'm not sure what a "smart" sheave is though. At any rate, I took the instructions and plans to mean that these were just sheaves that were at the very end of the yard/gaff/boom. 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Dave,

Welcome to the Niagara club and MSW!!  Glad you started a build- she looks fantastic!  So 13 years and still going- sounds like my build (minus the kids, except I have dogs & cats to contend with).  ;)  Keep it coming and good luck with the build!!

-Rich

Thanks Patrick and Rich!  Yes, 13 years is a long time and it's really hard to believe it's been that long but that's what the notes I kept say.   But just wait until I resume building my USS Constitution after this.  I started that one back in the 1980's!

Dave

Dave Barnard

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Hi Dave,

Really nice work. Very crisp and clean.  Hope mine will look half as nice.

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

I just found your build log. What a great looking ship and a belated welcome to the Niagara club!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

• 5 years later...

Well I see it's only been 6 years since my last update😊. I recently was able to improve the color of the light yellow on the sides of the ship. I never liked how light/bright it was after painting it with the model expo water based paint I had used originally. So I did a "wash" using diluted oil based paint and applied that over it and it looks better to me. I've made a little more progress on the build also. I'm trying to figure out the best way to continue with the masting and rigging and reviewing other build logs to help me with that (or I might do another easier kit with better instructions first since it seems overwhelming to me).

Hoping to have more time to work on this soon!

Thanks for looking,

Dave Barnard

6-17-19 (1).jpg

6-17-19 (2).jpg

Dave Barnard

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)