Sovereign of the Seas 1637 by modelshipwright (Bill Short) - Sergal - 1:78 - Port "as built", Starboard "as presented to King Charles I for approval"

The backing panels for the six sculptures that will adorn the bulkhead are now in position. 

post-2916-0-26146500-1459965056_thumb.jpg

This partial view of the Van de Velde sketch shows the area in question and above the backing panels are decorative carvings with rectangular protrusions.

post-2916-0-52018100-1459965193_thumb.jpg

The picture below shows these decorative carvings in process. Using my table saw, partial cuts were taken in two directions to create the raised areas. next I will form each carving and separate them later for mounting on the buklhead.

post-2916-0-74068400-1459965282_thumb.jpg

More to follow.............

Edited by modelshipwright

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

After separation, some of the detail has been carved into one of the pieces.

post-2916-0-37008100-1459968299_thumb.jpg

With final finishing, the piece is mounted above the vertical panel.

post-2916-0-05998900-1459968335_thumb.jpg

More to follow................

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Progress continues on the bulkhead sculptures with the mounting of the six carved pieces above the vertical panels. They are carved from English Boxwood.

post-2916-0-34144300-1460033557_thumb.jpg

So clean.... so beautiful.  But I still refuse to rip my bulkhead off and start over Bill.  :cheers:

Loving to see you back in production my friend.

:10_1_10:

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

The first photo shows the boxwood blank to be used for the pedestal that the carved figure will stand on along side of one already rough carved.

post-2916-0-38239200-1460145126_thumb.jpg

This photo shows two of the carved pedestals mounted on the bulkhead ready for the carved figures to come. Note the darker colour of the Boxwood as I milled some new stock yesterday from a 60 year old piece of Boxwood I was saving for the carvings.

post-2916-0-85472600-1460145165_thumb.jpg

More to follow...................

Taking a break from carving the pedestals, I fabricated the ladder shown in the next photo.

post-2916-0-03448500-1460231697_thumb.jpg

More to follow...............

Another pedestal has been completed and mounted on the bulkhead. They are proving to be difficult to hold on to when carving as I accidentally ran the tip of my left thumb into the blade of my Preac saw a few days ago. A dumb move for sure! Now that it is healing, I can churn these out a little faster. 

post-2916-0-33385900-1460466679_thumb.jpg

In the meantime I did fashion a couple of heads for the beak based on a keyhole design that allowed standup and seated use. I will mount these on the beak head after the side panels are fastened.

post-2916-0-07649300-1460466915_thumb.jpg

More to follow.................

The crew will appreciate the accommodations of the heads Bill.

Good to see the beak bulkhead developing.

Lovely work.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Ouch! Hope you are healing OK. Nice progress, Bill. Interesting to see the main stay collar running through the bulkhead above the door in the Van de Velde drawing (post #247).

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

The thumb has healed for the most part and work continues on the pedestals for the six sculptures to stand on against the bulkhead. The final pedestal is in place and it is time to contemplate carving the sculptures.

post-2916-0-41372400-1460553753_thumb.jpg

It is indeed interesting the Van de Velde showed the stay coming through the bulkhead which would lead to the assumption that it then emerged through the deck above on its way to the mast. Was it the artist's impression, or was it indeed rigged that way?

More to follow..............

G'day Bill

I can say ouch also. A few months back I was stupid enough to drill will a blunt drill bit and the bloody bit broke and went into my thumb. There's still a thick skin feeling where it was drilled! But gradually it's improving. Hope your thumb will be quicker to recover than mine.

Havagooday my friend

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

A little blood goes with the territory guys. Just clean it, throw a band aid on it, and carry on.

But then, of course, if you wish to OVER BANDAGE any little scrape, in order to gain sympathy from the Admiral .... Or use it to avoid the dreaded "honey do" ....

That's just another ball game altogether.

Make the bandage large....use reddish paint to add blood stains....make it easy to remove and put back on.

Sawdust Dave -

Love that build of yours Bill,

beautiful and precise work.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

The first of the six sculptures is shown in this picture. They represented Consilium, that is Counsell; Cura, that is Care; Conamen, that is Industry; Vis which implied force; Virtus or Virtue; and Victoria, that is Victory. This description of the figures is taken from the text of "A True Description of His Majesty's Royall Ship" by Thomas Heywood written in 1638.

post-2916-0-28489300-1460638051_thumb.jpg

Two of the six sculptures are completed and mounted on the pedestals. Note the bottom of each sculpture forms the top of the pedestal.

post-2916-0-58525800-1460638131_thumb.jpg

A side view of the new sculptures.

post-2916-0-93583400-1460638889_thumb.jpg

Sculpture number three is now mounted on the bulkhead. It is certainly a stunning viewpoint of the Sovereign and must have been glorious to see gilded in gold with the sun shining on it.

post-2916-0-08923400-1460663052_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has visited the build.

Sculpture number three is now mounted on the bulkhead. It is certainly a stunning viewpoint of the Sovereign and must have been glorious to see gilded in gold with the sun shining on it.

Well, she was called by the Dutch 'The Golden Devil.'

Looking forward to more.

Thanks to everyone for visiting my build log. I really appreciate your comments and support.

Bill

Spring has sprung and so has my garden. It has taken several days to get it under control so not too much time for The Sovereign.  Here is a photo with sculpture number four completed and mounted on the model. Number Five is under way. Then I will look at the gunports and provision for the main stay.

post-2916-0-06853500-1461086454_thumb.jpg

More to follow..........

Thanks to those who visited the build.

The fifth sculpture is now complete and mounted on the bulkhead. It is starting to fill in nicely.

post-2916-0-09083900-1461155330_thumb.jpg

More to follow.................

Just simply stunning, Bill.

I was going to say "just beautiful". But we are saying the same thing Bill.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...