Vasa by puckotred - DeAgostini - Scale 1:65

Hey howya goin Pucko, coming along nicely there mate. If you want to do more on it you could start to sand and shape the hull the fun part of ship building.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hi Eddie!

I think I'll cut the portholes before I start with the shaping and sanding, or I'll have to do the markings all over...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

Hi Mr.Pucko - you are off to a good start. I couldn`t help but notice the templates have the gun ports parallel to the frames. I am pretty sure they should be parallel to the planking & wales. If you look at a picture of the real ship in the museum you will see what I mean. I drew some lines on your picture to show you what I mean. It seems that none of the kit makers can get things right even though they have the real ship to look at. Just an observation.

IMG_0910.jpg.11b3e9be54cbee376c469b2697f405b0.jpg.6c87b8ff70fa6fc586422e92e337f2c8.jpg

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

-Also, the lower gun ports should be slightly larger than the upper.
(That's despite the fact that both decks were armed with 24 pounders, -possibly an artefact from an earlier armament plan with smaller guns on upper gun deck)

Looks good so far, just be careful of the structural integrity of the planking when you cut the gun ports if you still have gaps between the planks.

cheers,

Peter

Mark: I thought they looked a little strange.  On the 1:10 model from the museum they are a little offset from the wales but not as severe as the templates. 

gIMG_6285.thumb.jpg.7c087a977259f4e8e6a63be092c90f7d.jpg

And Peter: There's even more variations on the port sizes:

58ef33fa4e88d_Frameangles.thumb.jpg.9c5ad06239857e6f1e88e3acf5239a59.jpg

So with all this in mind I thought I'd just let the port markings from the templates be as is for the time being. It's difficult to alter too much when one doesn't know what DeAgostini has planned. 

Thank you guys for the head up on the issue. Easy for me to forget these details if you don't point them out.

Finished this months planking.

Wonder why they couldn't made the frames just a little higher:

IMG_0913.jpg.d09bade3aad98ed49a88739b8d49b2fc.jpg

Getting there, she was one big wall of wood:

IMG_0914.jpg.576f69f4c6bdbb360961f5044b83f836.jpg

Even though the bamboo was not the best quality (thickness and width very uneven), and it swells a LOT when soaked, it's very easy to bend in all directions. And sanding is easy too, so I'm sure all those bumps and cracks will be gone after a kilo or two of filler and a couple of weeks sanding... 

IMG_0915.jpg.19d3ebec39e9ea8c58c56fdc7029849b.jpg

Now on to planking the stern...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Pucko,

More of the same info. This from the Museum plans set. Members notices seem correct, odd that you would receive this type of template.

Nice update - good luck with your "cutout" decisions ----

IMG_6773.thumb.jpg.8068aa9693c362d101211002a7862467.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks for the pic Michael. Looks like the distance between the ports are wrong as well... :(

That was a letdown. I'll let it be for now...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Planking of the stern underway.

First of all cleaning up the details:

IMG_0916.thumb.jpg.8d06e22fa97fc3a0bbe763a7dcdf6e96.jpg

IMG_0917.thumb.jpg.0fe7db348489d72447864ca17f48376f.jpg

IMG_0918.thumb.jpg.0701f2ee902c11e100567fab10ce7d68.jpg

And the first planks:

IMG_0919.thumb.jpg.1d923420359d5f27e2f20b65885e0d04.jpg

IMG_0921.thumb.jpg.3bb16265db210867251c7f1146a178b5.jpg

IMG_0922.thumb.jpg.7d7978070bf57c1e339821702e8c9a9a.jpg

IMG_0923.thumb.jpg.bfe28e4b98b3a46f0944d3f43d6606f2.jpg

This is how far I got day before yesterday. When I was going to continue the next day the 2 dark strips you see had shrunk so much that there was a 1mm gap between them and the next planks. had to rip them out and start again.

This is my second try:

IMG_0924.thumb.jpg.636cd8aad11f204accc45ecf81fc8dce.jpg

I discovered that you could use a bending iron without soaking the strips. At least with this small amount of bending.

The planks on the real ship are are angled Upwards quite sharply and hopefully there will be a second layer. I suspect there will be very thin strips... (0,5mm)

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Its good you warn me about soking the planks. Will try with heat only when I get there.   Doing some treenailing on shearborne at the moment......

Jörgen

Current:  Sherbourne - Caldercraft 1/64

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65
Finished: Endeavour - Americas Cup J class 1934 - Amati 1/80

Other:    Airplanes and Tanks

If you soak the planks, don't glue them until they are 100% dry... The dark wood seems like it swells the most when wet.

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Looks good,

With DeAgostini, you seem to be getting a pretty accurate model compared to other manufacturers.

The hull shape looks excellent.
There's always bound to be inaccuracies though, as long as they are accurate enough for your purposes, that's fine.
(I't easy to get bogged down in correcting every detail)
For the Corel Wasa, I found the inaccuracies too great to ignore with respect to the gun ports (wrong sizes, wrong locations, even the wrong number of gun ports), so I made a template from the museum plans. Even that is inaccurate, since I only made one template for both sides (on the real ship, the gun port layout differs from port to starboard)

I would be a bit worried trusting the manufacturer to get all the building steps right though. (You mentioned it's difficult to change things when not knowing what DeAgostini has planned, do you get any plans from the start?)
It often even pays to consider the rigging phase while building the hull. The Vasa for example has the main halliard knighthead below deck. It helps to rig this early in the build (before closing up the deck)

I don't know what DeAgostini has planned here? Potentially place it on deck instead?

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I'm not too worried about the accuracy of the model, as you said it's enough for my purpose. But the ports was way off,

No plans what so ever! Not even a picture of the finished model. That is the downside of this build... no chance to plan ahead. You don't even now what parts will come next month. I still have 2 strips from the first shipment that I have no idea what to do with. And the main halliard, I too wonder how they plan to do this... And no measurements. When placing the templates one is to count 17 planks down to mark the lower line of the template. If you didn't plank as the instructions you're in trouble.

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Good log to follow this one is. I bought the vasa museum plans with a plan of scratchbuilding it, but then i learned about this kit instead. So i subscribed to these magazines 3 weeks ago. I havent seen a single magazine in my postbox yet. But im hoping they will start pouring in next week. I ordered them off editionatlas. How long did it take for you to recieve the first shipment?

After reading your log i figure out maybe its best for me to wait and build it until all the parts have been recieved. 

Was those cannon port templates in the kit? Considering Fred Hocker was involved with the making of this kit and provided them with the newest research/plans up til now. This must be the doings of Deagostini/AL. If they have altered such a thing i wonder what else they have decided to change for the worse. 

The kit being designed with Fred Hocker and the newest research and plans was the main reason i ordered this ship. Being told the old plans were quite wrong. I thought this build of vasa was the one to have. It will be interesting to see how this this ship turns out!

I wish you good luck and you are doing a great job already. Please finish the ship and inform how the build is. It is of great help.

I think it took almost 6 weeks before the first issue came. But after that it settled on every 4 weeks. 

3 years is a long time to wait... but not a bad idea. I could never wait that long though... If you are patient starting the build when you have 40 issues is a good idea. It will spare you some problems with alignment of the frames.

You can still paint all those decorations....

Templates came with issue 41.

We'll see what more faults this model has, but luckily we are on a forum where other members are kind enough to guide us in the right direction. 

Thank you for your kind words, and I will finish it...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

I found some useful info on an Italian forum. A builder has measured the gunports from the museum plans and converted them to this models scale.

Here

The placement of the ports is pretty accurate on the template at least... you only have to resize and rotate them.

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Peter is right.

If you use the deck-plans of the Vasa you will get the correct positions of the gun-ports without distortion.

The mounting-angle of the gunports follows the wales - as shown above.

The intervals of the gun-ports are irregular.

The patterns of the gunports are different at the starbord- and port-side of the ship.

A nightmare for a modeller. But you will get it, Puckotred

Alexander

• 4 weeks later...

That time of the month again...

This time I got:

A bunch of 0.5x5mm planks, one "stormstycke" , a stern decoration and 2 little sailors:

IMG_0963.thumb.jpg.2b57991134083da3ee0926d16c5c96e1.jpg

The 2 sailors(Whatever they should be good for). I don't think I'll include them in the build.

IMG_0964.thumb.jpg.2a4d0b5e1ec33ab4c50e6e88fc591b1f.jpg

Building is slow at the moment, life and stuff coming in the way.

Will update once something interesting happens...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Hey Mr. Pucko! Nice kit to build, great work so far - being late to follow your log. Love the Vasa, such a story and the hard lesson on building ships.

• 1 month later...

New Shipment!

A lot of second layer planks. (0,5X5mm) and more decorations

IMG_1070.jpg.f3a4cb7b342a544b3f2b7dade4f47d7b.jpg

The 2 pieces on the right are swans

IMG_1069.jpg.57d81b1dcb63816a289871f1ed7f83f2.jpg

Also done lots of filling/sanding/filling and sanding again.

IMG_1074.jpg.e5fe90dd611792a6d6ba757ba9bdc4b6.jpg

Getting there slowly. I would recommend to do the planking with something else than the supplied bamboo.

IMG_1075.jpg.3a459b2599b4653c5f468705f4b81413.jpg

I decided to go along with the 12X12mm size of the gunports. The placing of them seems ok so I have drille the center hole and can rotate the gunports to follow the wale. DeAgostini gives the measurement where that wale should go by making a mark so and so many mm from the lowest ports. So that is what I will follow when sanding is done. Sorry for the delay but family and model building is not a good combination :D

Edited by puckotred
spelling

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

At last I got something done.

DeAgostinis approach when building the hull is to assemble the keel after you done the first hull planking.

Why I just don't know. 

Had a really hard time cutting the 4mm trench along the whole hull:

IMG_1076.thumb.jpg.ed721adbd13c35ad79fbc4a3df794a5f.jpg

This part was the easiest:

IMG_1077.thumb.jpg.c763fc0504a771af291a4c3852ab0fc4.jpg

For some reason the bow part did not fit the false keel underneath. Unable to see exactly the point I had to fair away it took ages of hit and miss.

Doing this before the planking would have saved me a hour or so...

IMG_1078.thumb.jpg.5931ae8b287d6224d8410189be3a8570.jpg

Again this was the easiest part. Good fit:

IMG_1079.jpg.2053c55da5461917e03dba36fed1715f.jpg

Gunports now following the curve of the (second) hull planking:

IMG_1080.jpg.d25501c72393f338c90caefe16559391.jpg

The line was determined by measuring from the gunports.

This is the curve the second planking will follow.

IMG_1081.jpg.dde647f342241ad187c724d5fd154353.jpg

Started second planking of the stern:

IMG_1082.thumb.jpg.7966a834a2ea502514dad9853e3b1fc2.jpg

I had ordered planking screws from Germany to aid me in this, but the Swedish post decided to misplace my shipment.

Seems as all they can do is do a search on the computer (as we do at home with a tracking number).

And when I asked when they would get someone to look for it they answered after a brief silence that they don't do that...(!?!) 

Thats service!

Anyway, a combination of CA and wood glue made the strips follow the curve of the stern:

IMG_1083.thumb.jpg.985ea1d5e5bea52273900b8f9b4ab9c1.jpg

One side (almost) finished:

IMG_1084.thumb.jpg.e61e96d078141241cdfd0408214c11a0.jpg

Gunports will have their finishing touch later on:

IMG_1085.thumb.jpg.e51c45dfc00a629bdba488fb2ca90bde.jpg

And lower part done:

IMG_1086.thumb.jpg.1c0093234f11e66497c8fbed93f3d4be.jpg

Now I will work upwards to the top of the stern, and I have 50 gunports to open up :(

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Pucko,

Nice update 

PS: Be careful with your spacing here. This caused me a lot of grief. IMG_1080.jpg.d25501c72393f338c90caefe16559391.jpg.02ad9902816be4df8df2d22f67f85a3d.jpg59541053ce098_gIMG_6373copy.thumb.jpg.4016ae8881046ae4036089d8b103fa83.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Ooops... thanks for the warning Michael. Think I'll wait cutting that gunport. 

Another problem with not having plans or the whole kit... you can't test fit anything. :angry:

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

If it helps, here are some views where you can see the run of the gun ports in the bow.
https://digitaltmuseum.org/021016514730/regalskeppet-wasa-i-torrdocka-efter-bargningen-1961/media?aq=topic%3A"Regalskepp"&i=12
vasa-museum.jpg
Note especially how forward facing the chaser ports are.
As noted by Michael, you may need to more the upper gundeck port slightly upward.
I suggest to keep an eye on your distance between the upper edge of the upper deck gunports and the height of the weatherdeck..

The hull shape is looking great. Looking forward to second planking..

Cheers,

Peter

Nice job Pucko. Is it the Postnord that is failing again? When I looking on your build I get more and more convinced that it is better to wait for the parts and build it in your own way and just skipp Deagostinis weird approach.

Jörgen

Current:  Sherbourne - Caldercraft 1/64

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65
Finished: Endeavour - Americas Cup J class 1934 - Amati 1/80

Other:    Airplanes and Tanks

Hi Puckotred... nice Wasa is building on here, nice work indeed ...

Was the water line raised a bit later on, when the ship was built, so it passes over the lowest wale (rubbing strake) ?... by this, the gunports were put too low ?...

Regards, Zoran

Hello Jörgen, yes it's Postnord. And after reading complaints on their Facebook page all hope is gone that one will ever get service from them... You are right about waiting for the parts. But I can't wait...:D I have been thinking that I should just go full on and follow the instructions to 100%, see what happens and then get the complete kit when/if Artesania Latina issues it. By the way, also in the shipment the Postnord misplaced are these and these AND THESE:angry: So you can understand I'm really really mad

Thanks Peter, I'll try and keep all in mind.

Thank you Zoran, and thank you for visiting. If you are referring to the drawn line on the hull that is just a marking of the curve the final planking should have. I used it to get the angle of the gunports. Although the gunports where very low. She was never meant to sail the high seas, so they did not think this was too big a problem (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a vague memory that I read this somewhere.) Where DeAgostini will put the waterline I have no idea. If all turns out well they might even put it in the right place ;) but I wouldn't bet money on it...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL