Buying Replacement Belaying Pins

I do not want to use the brass belaying pins that came with the Niagara kit. I see wooden ones available on several retail sites being sold as something like "Wood Belaying Pins - 6mm" .  I am assuming the 6mm is length?  There doesn't appear to be any options regarding diameter and just from the site photo most of the offerings appear to be a lot thicker than the brass pins I have now.

I do realize it's probably just a generic photo, but I am wondering about the diameter. Is it just understood that you will need to sand the pins down to whatever thickness is required?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hi Mike,

Check out Cast Your Anchor (www.castyouranchorhobby.com) They have walnut and boxwood belaying pins in several sizes and give very precise measurements - length, diameter and length above the rail. They're really great to deal with too.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

You can always paint the brass belaying pins to appear to be wood if they are properly scaled, probably a lot easier than trying to source realistically dimensioned ones from another source, and certainly cheaper!

You can always paint the brass belaying pins to appear to be wood if they are properly scaled, probably a lot easier than trying to source realistically dimensioned ones from another source, and certainly cheaper!

And definitely stronger than wood.  The thin wood ones will work but putting any stress on them is very problematical.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks David - that site was helpful. I imagine pins from various sellers are pretty much the same, but it is reassuring to see all the dimensions. I made the order with them.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I did order some but I will try painting as well. Tamiya has a Deck Tan that would probably look pretty good.

The thing I haven't figured out yet is it appears the kit supplied brass pins are 2 sizes. Both about 12mm in length but a few are quite a bit thicker. The materials list didn't differentiate so I don't know if there are really supposed to be 2 sizes or if it is just poor manufacturing tolerances.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed at how many poorly shaped belaying pins turn up on great models. The manufacturers can not turn out accurately proportioned wood pins in the numbers needed so they give you the best they can manage, and its always a poor sad offering- bulbous pins that look like light bulbs. HUGE cartoonlike light bulbs. I will second the notion of painting the brass pins you have as I am skeptical you will find wooden ones with a more accurate silhouette. Also I will add something I have said before: With lines on the pins, the eye can not notice much about the nature of the pins unless they are the aforementioned huge wooden bulbs. A perfectly formed wood pin will not look much different than a cylindrical treenail or peg with no curvy shape,

Niagara USS Constitution 

That tamiya Deck Tan is a good colour. As close as I could get myself. The comment about the large bulbous pins is spot on the money. I usually do away with these ones. They always look toy like to me.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard